Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

As promised a few weeks ago, this is my Revell ‘30A Chopped Five Window Coupe Hot Rod Kit Preview...given the amount of new info here, I'm starting a new thread for you (hope the moderators are OK with this).  

A couple of days ago, Ed Sexton at Revell gave me the green light to share with you what I know about the upcoming second version of Revell’s Model A Hot Rod kit. The following info is derived from building the two versions of the kit under contract to Revell during its earliest development state two years to this month, as well as referencing a just-completed box art layout comp. Take this info as directional only, as details may have changed along the way. We’ll find out for sure when this kit is released later this year, presently as part of Revell’s 2nd quarter production schedule.

The kit builds two versions, a ’30 A Five Window Coupe Highboy on a ’32 frame, and a very trendy channeled version based on a “Z’ed” Model A frame. The frames, crossmembers, front suspensions, rear suspension, rear axle/differential, brakes, tires, rear portion of the exhaust system, multiple headlamp choices, ’40 Ford based steelies and hub covers, choice of two interior steering wheels, and shifter are the same as last year’s ’29 A Roadster kit. Almost everything else is different.

Starting with the outside, the two-piece body casting perfectly replicates the real thing. Unlike the Roadster kit, the rear wheel openings are not radiused/relocated – they look entirely 100% factory stock to my eye. The complex multi-surface body stamping below the windows is perfectly rendered, and a huge advance over the old Monogram ’30 Five Window kit execution. The separate top casting allows realistically thin A/B/C pillars, and today’s engineering tolerances allow a very precise fit between this and the body casting (the shape and assembly procedure of the interior also likely required this type of kit execution). Up front, BOTH a chrome plated ‘30A Radiator grilles AND a ’32 Deuce grille shell are options. (Yes, the Deuce grill shell will swap to the earlier ‘29A Roadster kit without mods).

Separate firewalls are provided for the Highboy and Channeled versions. Both are designed to support a hood (though a hood is not provide in the kit, savvy modelers will be kitbashing their own hoods as soon as the kit hits the market). The top features a large roof cutout that nicely showcases the interior (details below). As this model represents a modified 1/1 scale hot rod, the roof opening does not replicate a factory stock Model A roof (but could be easily modified to so for those who want to make the change).

The Highboy interior is traditional tuck’n’roll. The flavor and execution is similar to the ’29A Roadster Highboy interior, but the parts are all different. The Floorboard and IP (industry jargon for the instrument panel/dashboard stamping) are the same as the unused extra parts you’ve seen in the Roadster kit, but there is a new, well-detailed “So-Cal” style plated five gauge insert for the IP.

The Channeled interior is truly revolutionary, and by far the most innovative feature of this kit series. The design team, including the late Roger Harney, and John Mueller, refer to this as a “SKELETON” interior. It replicates the exposed interior body structure of a stripped Model A coupe, before any upholstery is added. The parts are incredibly well detailed. Perfectly matching the theme are two WW-II style “bomber” seats. I can’t recall another 1/25th scale hot rod kit with this "Skeleton" feature; regardless, this setup is beyond cool, completely consistent with current Hot Rod design trends, and beautifully rendered. It is THE HIGHLIGHT of a kit with many highlights.

The engine design approximates a small block Chevy, mated to GM 4L60E style AOD tranny. Two induction options are provided, a traditional tri-power carb/air cleaners/intake manifold setup, and a blower. The blower appears to me to be a perfectly correct representation of a contemporary Dyer 6-71 supercharger. The blower case appears identical to the one in the Revell ’62 Corvette gasser kit, with minor detail differences in the blower end caps. The blower drive is nicely done (a separate fan belt and pulley setup is included), and a very complex radiator hose curves perfectly around the blower drive/pulleys to perfectly connect to the radiator. The blower is capped with two four barrel carbs and an open blower-style air scoop. The headers are similar to those in the Roadster kit, but arranged to the SBC exhaust port spacing, and sweep downward to the rear as does the Roadster design. The left header artfully curves around the steering column extension.

This introduces a second set of wheels, a plated set of what are often referred to these days as “Halibrand" and/or “Speedway” mags, in shallow/n/deeper offsets, with a set of matching three-prong style knockoffs. (For a better look at these wheels in unplated/painted form, see the upper right corner of the June, 2015 issue of Scale Auto magazine, and the bottom of page 25 of the same issue.) These, of course, also swap right onto your Revell ‘29A Roadster builds without mods.

The final box art is a very eye-catching execution. I’m particularly taken with the “military-style” workout of the channeled version, complete with “fauxtined” US Army “star” decals. Simple flame decals for the sides are also included.

As I’ve alluded to before (I couldn’t really spill the beans ‘till now), if you like the Revell ‘29A Roadster kit from last fall, I think that you’re gonna LOVE this kit. In almost every respect (except perhaps the rear suspension and axle treatment), it is nearly 100% in line with the most current trends in 1/1 scale hot rodding, and anyone who’s paying attention knows that Five Window Model A Coupes are THE HOT TICKET in the entire world of hot rodding right now. Perfectionists who plan to use a bright body color will probably want to finish the main body to top seam with a bit of filler and sanding before paint, and some builders will no doubt some will want to tweak the roof opening and/or the firewall shape/execution (if not planning to engineer your own lift-off hood setup).

This kit is the culmination of years of work by Revell and their contractors. I heard rumblings of this project as far back as six years ago (from trusted and reliable sources outside of Revell), but the rumored complexity and broad scope of the project seemed unlikely to me, so I tended to dismiss the info. I regret that I was never able to discuss it with Roger Harney before he passed away (I did not receive formal acknowledgement of the project from inside Revell until several weeks after he passed away). But those of you who knew Roger know how much he adored hot rods; you can see his fingerprints all over this kit, and this project is truly a gift to us from him as well as the entire internal/external Revell team.

In summary, at least for me personally, this kit is THE KIT OF THE DECADE for hot rod modelers. I hope you’ve enjoyed this preview. My appreciation to Revell for letting me share with you the details ahead of the kit intro later this spring/early summer.

Best Regards...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

From what I read, this kit is going to be exactly what I expected and what was already leaked. Including the skeleton interior. I will most definitely build a few of these. I appreciate the scale of this project and I am very thankful for Revell's decision to bring this hot rod to us. But I still can't get over the choice of rear end. The '32 Fords were introduced like 20 years ago and progressed into five different body styles. They came with a variety of engine choices and few different wheel choices. And over all this time, nobody thought about changing the rear end. Not even when Revell made an all new tooling for these crazy good '29/'30s. They carried absolutely nothing from the previous kits, yet they decided to give us the same old generic rear end. I just don't get it. 

Sounds promising.  A more traditional rear suspension would have been nice, but its absence isn't a deal breaker.

Richard...my view exactly.  Thanks...TIM

PS - it's premature to talk about future versions of this kit too, but if/when they do arrive, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Halibrand Quick Change under the rear.  Adding a transverse leaf spring and Model A crossmember (like most of us would prefer) would require a new frame mold, so I suspect that's less likely, but time will tell.   TB  

. And over all this time, nobody thought about changing the rear end. Not even when Revell made an all new tooling for these crazy good '29/'30s. They carried absolutely nothing from the previous kits, yet they decided to give us the same old generic rear end. I just don't get it. 

Having been somewhat privy* to this kit during its design phase, I can assure you that somebody thought about changing the rear end.  I don't know when or why it was changed to the Ford, but that was not what was spec'd in the initial design.  IIRC, the roadster was supposed to have a finned aluminum Buick unit (a somewhat modern choice, but keeping with the Buick-themed driveline) and the coupe was supposed to have a quick change.   As Tim said, I wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up in later versions.  I guess somebody high up at Revell must really like Ford rear ends. 

* i know a guy who knows a guy...

I have about a half dozen of the monogram '30 5 window kits. Plus a few rebuilders and some parts kits, in all 3 shades of green they came in. Might have to get rid of a few once this new kit lands.

Trans and rearend don't bother me. Just happy to have the new kit coming. Someone will make the stuff in resin I'm sure. 

Sounds GREAT!   

It would be even greater if they were to throw in a roof insert that would fit the 'hot rod' opening and contain the stock opening.  Thus, one could have a choice between the stock opening or the larger, custom opening.  A piece of flat plastic sheet can be used to replicate a filled, steel roof.  Thus, three easy options!

Just saying . . .  B)

I've got two resin chopped (two different heights) model A coupe bodys, both rather crude. :huh: 

Still makes you wonder why all the fiddling around with the top and firewall. Just sayin' :mellow:

Yeah, Jesse, time to thin the heard, got a few of those venerable Monograms my own self. Counted eight just the other day. :P

No kvetching about the SBC? Dang, Tim, you must REALLY like this kit! :lol:

Allen,..yeah...I'm biting my tongue over that one.  But yeah, the kit really is that good.  And the details of the Blown version are really well done.  I'll probably build just one with that engine,

But I can guarantee all my other builds of this kit will have anything but an SBC in front of that firewall!   Cheers...TIM