Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Thanks for the answers and comments about the visor, all!B)

And speaking of As, was looking at an early '60s Rod & Custom mag last night and saw a fairly cool looking A roadster powered by...wait for it...a Studebaker V8! Thinking of doing that with mine, from the '53 kit...and I notice that the Avanti kit even has some semi-zoomie headers that might work for such a thing, too, hmmmmmm.....

Don't forget the Caddy mill in the Revell Merc kits, or the 348 in their '58 Impala.  Come to think of it, I think the only first generation GM OHV V8 NOT recently tooled by Revell would be the Pontiac, but there are other sources such as the AMT '62 Pontiac, the new Moebius '61 kits, or the old parts packs...

Nice Y-block Fords in the '57 kits too...:D

This is a direct question to Tim Boyd:

I was just wondering, if we know pretty much exactly what is in the kit and how it will look (there are pictures leaked out with the interior too), why are Revell not letting you share any pictures? I mean, it's not like there will be any secrets revealed. 

This is a direct question to Tim Boyd:

I was just wondering, if we know pretty much exactly what is in the kit and how it will look (there are pictures leaked out with the interior too), why are Revell not letting you share any pictures? I mean, it's not like there will be any secrets revealed. 

Michael....thanks for the question.  

Simple answer - the versions I built are two years old now and represent the status of the project just after the initial tooling had been completed.  There were countless changes that resulted from that buildup (primarily quality, fit and finish type changes) so the examples I have are not at all representative of the final status of the project.    Plus they were unpainted and assembled (mostly) with non-permanent glue so they are not in a presentable condition now.    

Also, Revell and other model companies work closely with their distribution channels and to make sure that they get key information (such as pictures of the final product) first.  For right now, the best reference is the picture of the red coupe that is in the second quarter Revell announcements flier.  

I realize that is not the answer you want, but on the other hand, I think Revell has been extremely flexible in allowing me to post advance info (without pictures) on both versions of this tool....hopefully soon we will all be able to get a closer look at the kit in its final form.    

Again, thanks for the question....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

And speaking of As, was looking at an early '60s Rod & Custom mag last night and saw a fairly cool looking A roadster powered by...wait for it...a Studebaker V8! Thinking of doing that with mine, from the '53 kit...and I notice that the Avanti kit even has some semi-zoomie headers that might work for such a thing, too, hmmmmmm.....

And if you want a hot rod intake you can use the ones from the Revell parts pack Caddy or the Caddy from the Revell 49 Merc. This is the parts pack intake

102 3328

Rob--those are 2 of my favorite Model A coupes.

Richard--if you want more reference for your stude-powered roadster, there are tons of photos of the Tom Branch roadster online. '32 Ford body, Stude mill, backdraft carbs, stude wheel caps, harvest gold paint...very cool.

Does anyone have photos of the 1:1 car the kit was copied from, goofy top* and all ?

* just MY opinion. ;)

Greg....while I don't have details here, my general understanding is that both the Coupe and Roadster kits were designed by Roger Harney and John Mueller (with input from many others), using their own ideas and those of various 1.1 scale hot rods that inspired them.  

While not all of us may personally agree with 100% of the design decisions that were made, my view is that these guys had more than enough of the respective "1/1 scale car guy" C.V. (resume) entries to fully qualify them to design these kits.... 

Best Regards...TIM 

Michael....thanks for the question.  

Simple answer - the versions I built are two years old now and represent the status of the project just after the initial tooling had been completed.  There were countless changes that resulted from that buildup (primarily quality, fit and finish type changes) so the examples I have are not at all representative of the final status of the project.    Plus they were unpainted and assembled (mostly) with non-permanent glue so they are not in a presentable condition now.    

Also, Revell and other model companies work closely with their distribution channels and to make sure that they get key information (such as pictures of the final product) first.  For right now, the best reference is the picture of the red coupe that is in the second quarter Revell announcements flier.  

I realize that is not the answer you want, but on the other hand, I think Revell has been extremely flexible in allowing me to post advance info (without pictures) on both versions of this tool....hopefully soon we will all be able to get a closer look at the kit in its final form.    

Again, thanks for the question....TIM  

Thanks for the answer Tim. It makes sense now. It's a treasure heaving you on here. 

my view is that these guys had more than enough of the respective "1/1 scale car guy" C.V. (resume) entries to fully qualify them to design these kits.... 

Not questioning that. I would just like to see what they based these on. 

Edited by Greg Myers

Not questioning that. I would just like to see what they based these on. 

Greg...to the best of my knowledge, the designs were their "own", using their respective knowledge of the subjects as inspiration rather than any single 1.1 scale hot rod.  TB  

Thanks for the info Tim

Time to put aside some cash for a couple of these.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to buy kits here in Aus as the local distributor is not very good. I still haven't seen the 29 roadster anywhere. I ended up buying a couple through a well known auction site but postage can be a killer now too.

Chris

More money going to be exiting the bank account soon. 

Thank You  for the report Tim.  Now what about a 30 closed Cab Pickup or a 32 Pickup I have been writing down on the idea list Revell has at the shows? :)

Andy....I like those ideas!   A '32 Roadster pickup was also on a suggestion list I gave Revell (at their request) nearly nine years ago now....  TIM 

Thank you for your report my friend.

:)

You are most welcome, Jairus.  By the way...just picked up and read a copy of Slot Cars magazine issue #3....although the subject content is not my personal cup of tea, it's obvious you have a real love for the topic and I was highly impressed with the way you edited the magazine, along with your editorial contributions.  Very, very impressive!    Cheers...TIM   

Thanks for the info Tim

Time to put aside some cash for a couple of these.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to buy kits here in Aus as the local distributor is not very good. I still haven't seen the 29 roadster anywhere. I ended up buying a couple through a well known auction site but postage can be a killer now too.

Chris

Hi Chris

I'm in NZ and can empathise about shipping costs.

However, if it's current kits you are after, I can recommend Tower Hobbies in the US.  They have very reasonable shipping rates (I recently paid US$28 for four kits) and they ship promptly.  Their site has a useful shipping calculator based on the contents of your basket and discounts for members such as reduced shipping costs.  I'll be using them when the A Coupe is released.

Edited by maltsr

Andy....I like those ideas!   A '32 Roadster pickup was also on a suggestion list I gave Revell (at their request) nearly nine years ago now....  TIM 

If we are talking suggestions, I can't believe Revell has not made more variations of the '32 kits. A roadster pickup would be outstanding (I just got done making one for myself). And so would be a Vicky, 400B, and a Phaeton. If I had to put one Deuce on a wish list, it would be the Bob Kolmos phaeton, that was built by Boyd. If they replicate that car it will give street rod modelers a whole new option list of parts and ways to build Deuces. Huuuuuhh…..wishful thinking…..LOL

Hi Chris

I'm in NZ and can empathise about shipping costs.

However, if it's current kits you are after, I can recommend Tower Hobbies in the US.  They have very reasonable shipping rates (I recently paid US$28 for four kits) and they ship promptly.  Their site has a useful shipping calculator based on the contents of your basket and discounts for members such as reduced shipping costs.  I'll be using them when the A Coupe is released.

Being another NZer I can recommend Tower Hobbies  as well for being as good as it gets for reasonable shipping rates and regular offers of coupon discounts.