Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

It's not enough to keep me from buying one in the first place, and since the kit isn't shipping tomorrow,  maybe they can quickly fix it like they did the Hemi Cuda,  but this time before distribution. 

But besides that, not EVERYONE wants to wire EVERY engine they come across. Heck some of us build Box Stock for Competition...gasp...on PURPOSE. Cause frankly about 85% over the full detail blinged out models you see on contest tables wouldn't stand a chance in an OOB class since all the pretty check book modeling and 10 inches of clear shellac try to draw you eye away from the total lack of building basics.

It's not enough to keep me from buying one in the first place, and since the kit isn't shipping tomorrow,  maybe they can quickly fix it like they did the Hemi Cuda,  but this time before distribution. 

But besides that, not EVERYONE wants to wire EVERY engine they come across. Heck some of us build Box Stock for Competition...gasp...on PURPOSE. Cause frankly about 85% over the full detail blinged out models you see on contest tables wouldn't stand a chance in an OOB class since all the pretty check book modeling and 10 inches of clear shellac try to draw you eye away from the total lack of building basics.

Oh, snap! You're not going to make many friends if you go around speaking truth like that all the time! B):D

As for the distributor, I wouldn't sweat it. You can't drill those little protrusions anyway. Trim 'em off, or buy an aftermarket distributor. My LHC carries a couple different types in multiple wire colors.

True enough, but I usually file 'em off almost flat, and use the remains to start the holes centered with a pin, and drill 'em with a .013" bit in a pin vise. It works very well and gives nice, evenly spaced holes.

Can't do it like that with a 7-fire...so either you gotta lay em out evenly yourself (would have been just SO easy in the design phase, seein' as how model companies have been building V8 distributors for more than 50 years), or you gotta rob another kit, or you gotta buy aftermarket.

Counting up to 8 must be another one of those pesky number things that's harder than I thought it was. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

WOW ! :o Pretty strong indictment on those that build QUALITY show winning models. :huh:

Hmmm....another point of view....

a - It is difficult to properly evaluate the importance of a minor mistake (such as seven instead of eight spark plug leads on a distributor) until you can evaluate that mistake in the context of the total completed kit, in its built up/completed form.  

b - Being ready to blame myself for missing such an obvious flaw during my contracted work evaluating the test shot quality et al, I just checked the first round SBC test shots I built early in this kit's development.  Guess what?  Eight, not seven spark plug leads around the edge of the distributor, plain as day.  Could this have changed between the first round test shots and the near-final test shots shown at NNL West last weekend?  Possibly, but I'd think that would be fairly unlikely...  How to explain the difference?  I don't know.    .   

Therefore, in light of the above, a suggestion: - it's always best to be cautious about drawing definitive conclusions and editorializing about an upcoming kit preview, until you've had a chance to personally evaluate that actual kit and build it on your own.

Just sayin'.....Best regards...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

WOW ! :o Pretty strong indictment on those that build QUALITY show winning models. :huh:

Well sure there's 15% of people remaining that truly know what they're doing. They're also the ones - for the most part in a JUDGED show (People's Choice done by General Admission doesn't count, Fred's Cousin Aunt Mable wouldn't know a good model of you hit her with it, she just picked that one cause Purple is favorite color) - that are winning awards. But being part of a club Greg you know as well as I do that 85% of stuff put on the table never passes muster to go past the first view by the judges. There's usually only 3-5 well built models in any class, and if we're talking Best of Show outside a major venue like NNL East or something that draws out the big boys, maybe a couple three that can actually put in a major push towards winning it all. After all how many times is Best Paint, Best Interior, Best Engine and Best of Show all won by the same model? 

Hmmm....another point of view....

a - It is difficult to properly evaluate the importance of a minor mistake (such as seven instead of eight spark plug leads on a distributor) until you can evaluate that mistake in the context of the total completed kit, in its built up/completed form.  

b - Being ready to blame myself for missing such an obvious flaw during my contracted work evaluating the test shot quality et al, I just checked the first round SBC test shots I built early in this kit's development.  Guess what?  Eight, not seven spark plug leads around the edge of the distributor, plain as day.  Could this have changed between the first round test shots and the near-final test shots shown at NNL West last weekend?  Possibly, but I'd think that would be fairly unlikely...  How to explain the difference?  I don't know.    .   

Therefore, in light of the above, a suggestion: - it's always best to be cautious about drawing definitive conclusions and editorializing about an upcoming kit preview, until you've had a chance to personally evaluate that actual kit and build it on your own.

Just sayin'.....Best regards...TIM 

With all respect Tim don't try to sell me a line what after I build the whole model I'll never notice how many spark plug leads it has. How it got that way is moot, it clearly happened. The important question is did anyone ELSE in Revell see that it happened and told them to go back and fix the mistake? 

This isn't a curve, or a radius, or a window opening, it's a flippin' distributor and everyone since the 1950s has known how many points it is supposed to possess. It's not subjective, it's not a matter of preference or opinions. It's as glaringly factually obvious as it was on the Cuda, and the Meng F-350 that included 6 spoke wheels that are 7 spoke on the 1:1. 

Edited by niteowl7710

I don't believe that's whom he was talking about. I got what he was trying to say.

Many modelers believe that resin and PE thrown at a model can make up for a lack of basic skill (or even just common patience). I see it all the time--more in Model Airplane World than Model Car World, but I see it in our world too.

Preach It, Brother Snake!

I see many builds at contests, where basics are forgotten in the attempt to use P/E and resin aftermarket bits. As you say it seems to happen more often with the Plane/Armour guys, but Car builds are not immune. All the weathering or shiny paint won't hide unfilled seams or ejector pin marks. As ALL the Model Magazines (SA, FSM, SAMI, & others make clear in the hundreds of articles about "How-To-Build-Contest-Winning-Kits" published over the last 25 years, get the Basics right, and THEN step up to the Resin,P/E, or other goodies.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the final distributor is as Tim suggests....perfectly normal. That "spy shot" IS darned blurry. In other news, I totally took a photo of Bigfoot behind my house yesterday. If you squint just right, you can see that he almost looks like a rotten tree stump.

If, in the end, the distributor or any other component is not Show Winning, I humbly request that you mail all the offending pieces to me :D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the final distributor is as Tim suggests....perfectly normal. That "spy shot" IS darned blurry. In other news, I totally took a photo of Bigfoot behind my house yesterday. If you squint just right, you can see that he almost looks like a rotten tree stump.

If, in the end, the distributor or any other component is not Show Winning, I humbly request that you mail all the offending pieces to me :D

I agree...The spacing on what everyone is perceiving as the top 3 nubs does not match the bottom 4 nubs... ..Therefore I assume the spacing is all even and our eyes/this photo is lying to us.  Its very possible that is a inny-outie shadow optical illusion.

With all respect Tim don't try to sell me a line what after I build the whole model I'll never notice how many spark plug leads it has. How it got that way is moot, it clearly happened. The important question is did anyone ELSE in Revell see that it happened and told them to go back and fix the mistake? 

This isn't a curve, or a radius, or a window opening, it's a flippin' distributor and everyone since the 1950s has known how many points it is supposed to possess. It's not subjective, it's not a matter of preference or opinions. It's as glaringly factually obvious as it was on the Cuda, and the Meng F-350 that included 6 spoke wheels that are 7 spoke on the 1:1. 

James...my point is simply this.  Don't jump to a conclusion until you have the kit and its hot little distributor in your hand.  You may soon eat your words.  Or Not.  Cheers...TIM  

- it's always best to be cautious about drawing definitive conclusions and editorializing about an upcoming kit preview, until you've had a chance to personally evaluate that actual kit and build it on your own.

This is really excellent advice, and I swore I wouldn't comment on anything this time 'til I had the kit in my hands. Shoulda kept my word on that.:D

Tim (and others)

It sounds like this time it was just a photo issue, but personally I want to know all the problems with a kit before I buy it. If I know there is something wrong and choose to buy it anyway no problem. However, if I don't know there is a problem before buying it, will the model company give me my money back when I find something wrong I wasn't expecting and don't want to deal with? Probably not, correct? So I have NO problems with people bringing up issues. To tell me that I have to wait and buy the kit is just wrong. In my opinion anyway.

Russ

For anyone who's into hot-rods, I think there's enough to recommend this kit just from the early photos to easily justify buying at least one to carefully check out. Frankly, there are a few things on the recent '29 kit I would have done rather differently, and that I've already changed, but again, there's enough good stuff in the box for me to already have bought 4 of the things.

Of course, I look at what's in the box, usually, only as a source of parts for something quite different from what the kit is intended to build, so my perspective may be different from most.

And IF the distributor has only 7 plug terminals, it's kinda beyond belief...but it's certainly not a deal-breaker. There are other things I'm going hmmmmmm about that I'm still going to keep silent on until I actually have the kit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I love these threads every time a new kit is about to come out. Pure entertainment…..

So, bunch of grown men are bickering over a simple mistake. Pitchforks are raised and fingers are pointed at whose fault the mistake is, how it could have been prevented. In return bunch of apologetic comments are made in defense of the mistake, dismissing it as insignificant. And all this before anyone knows IF THERE ACTUALLY IS A MISTAKE AT ALL???!?!?!?!!!!! 

All this begs the question: You really have nothing better to do? 

My opinion is that the new marketing guy deleted one spark plug bump on the distributor as a cost saving measure. The plastic in all those bumps adds up in many kits. Besides, he said there were still 8 bumps left on the distributor.  :rolleyes::lol::wacko:

My thought is, no matter how smart or skilled you think you are, you're still going to miss something, so it's always good to have another pair of eyes look things over.    If something is wrong, then better to find out now, instead of investing large amounts of time and money into something that people aren't going to buy.

And it's not like Revell is going to pull out of the model business because somebody said something mean about them on a forum.