Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Okay, I NEED one of these for a project.  When is this kit out?

It was announced last month as part of Revell's 2nd quarter 2016 product introduction plans....so presumably it will be in production and on the water sometime in the April-June time period.  Personally, I am hoping we'll all be able to have it on our worktables sometime in July if all goes well....   TIM 

Dennis...that one is SO sweet....[.err....for some reason I seem to be experiencing a blind splot and can't quite focus on what's in the engine compartment, but it doesn't matter :) ]....love the layout, the stance, the color, the Dow #7 wheels and the tire choices....super, super coolt!!!!   TIM 

Small block Chev Tim.
Or were you just being obtuse on purpose?

And remember that the 1930 A phaeton was refreshed in 2009, by Revell. They added some great wire wheels to the kit. It should be kinda easy to find. Yellow car on the box, part of the "Custom Car Show" line.

That reissue also has the ONLY scale set of Guide 682 headlights (one of the most popular vintage hot rod headlights of all time) available, a nice 3x2 intake and Cal Custom valve covers for SBC's (Tim's favorite engine!!!) and a nicely done Stewart Warner gauge panel (also a staple of vintage hot rodding.) 

B)

And remember that the 1930 A phaeton was refreshed in 2009, by Revell. They added some great wire wheels to the kit. It should be kinda easy to find. Yellow car on the box, part of the "Custom Car Show" line.

revell-monogram-1930-ford-model-a-tourin

That reissue also has the ONLY scale set of Guide 682 headlights (one of the most popular vintage hot rod headlights of all time) available, a nice 3x2 intake and Cal Custom valve covers for SBC's (Tim's favorite engine!!!) and a nicely done Stewart Warner gauge panel (also a staple of vintage hot rodding.) 

B)

Thanks for the re-heads-up on the Guide headlamps. I've seen this reference before, but forgot entirely which kit had 'em. Gonna get me some. :D

Thanks for the re-heads-up on the Guide headlamps. I've seen this reference before, but forgot entirely which kit had 'em. Gonna get me some. :D

It's actually a bit puzzling to me that a headlights like this weren't put into these new Model A kits. They (and they're BLC 682 counterparts without marker lights on top) are the most prominently used lights on not only vintage built hot rods but currently built traditionally styled rods. So much so that they are now being reproduced. 

B)

"Staple"?
Doesn't mean it's the correct one, only the easy one.

B)

Dennis is. of course, spot-on correct in calling out the latest Revell '30A Phaeton release for its newly-tooled Guide headlamps....they're the ones I used on my own '30A Chopped Coupe kitbash from a couple of years ago..DSC 0161.

For those of you who were wondering what type of1/1 scale front wheel mag is represented in the Revell '30A Chopped Five Window kit....here is one example.  It's the knockoff style wheel from the "New Traditionalist"product line at SoCal Speedshop..

.Wheels.jpg

More info at the link......TB  "

In four  words or less "Those rims are bitchi`!!!"

Edited by 69NovaYenko

• 2 weeks later...

Hope someone comes up with a good how-to fix the roof and firewall.

Firewall's a piece of cake. If you want a good stock-style piece, get one from any of the OLD-TOOL Revell '31 Fords based on this kit...    Image result for revell 31 ford

The roof looks like it will take some relatively simple scratch-mods, using sheet styrene. A good skill-building exercise.

Hot-rods by nature have things modified as they're built, and many bodies like the one represented in the new kit will have had their firewalls and/or roof openings modified. It is of course impossible to represent ALL the possible permutations in ONE kit, but it's a great starting point for building a chopped '30-'31, and will look just fine built straight out of the box.

I would have loved to have seen a stock '30 as well...but I'm more interested in a hot rod kit.

I can't wait to have one of these in my hands, or at least a quality build-up preview (hey Tim Boyd!). Right now I'm thinking firewall from the AMT '31 woody or '30 Tudor, or even a modified '32 resin firewall. Heck even the Phantom Vicky '32-style firewall might work. The visor looks like it will need shaping on the outside corners, possibly shortened by a hair, and maybe some bow/curve added. The trim strip between the visor and roof looks very soft in the photos I've seen so far (but that might be paint buildup) and that would be an easy fix with strip stock. Squaring the roof insert to look stock will be pretty easy too with some styrene stock and a chisel-tip knife. The curve of the lower windshield opening might be tricky to adjust, but thanks to the roof being removable, it will be very accessible! The final thing I might want to adjust is the rear of the roof--it appears to have a slightly convex curve to it, somewhat like the '32 5-window, when in reality on an 'A' that area tends to be very flat, at least on the 1:1 examples I've seen. But I won't know what I'm working with until some clear, primered photos are available, or I have the kit in my hands!!

They had this at NNL east. Looks VERY good in its present form and it is obvious they were going for a hot rod version, not a stock model a. Some notes worth mentioning.

-there is 8 nubs on the distributer, I verified with my own eyes.

-the body is 2 pieces and the fitment is very good, which leads me to believe there could be other variants coming. (Maybe a stock height roof with a standard insert) 

-the SBC looks amazing, some might not be happy, but it's appropriate and the speed parts are worth the price of admission (my opinion) 

it was a very good looking piece in person, and I know I'll be ordering quite a few as soon as they are out! 

-the body is 2 pieces and the fitment is very good, which leads me to believe there could be other variants coming. (Maybe a stock height roof with a standard insert) 

Wait, what!? As in, the greenhouse is a separate piece from the lower body shell, much like the Monogram 1/24 '30/'34/'36 Ford kits??

Edited by Casey