Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Detailed Preview of Revell's Upcoming '30A Chopped Five Window Hot Rod....

Short pumps for smallblock Fords, standard rotation, for V-belt pulleys, have been available for the 40 years I've been building cars. Typically about 2" shorter than stock. Last time I used one was a 289 swap in an E-type Jag.

Here's one from Speedway.              http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Snow-White-Small-Block-Ford-Shorty-Water-Pump-2-Groove-Pulley,58832.html

And there you have it. I need to stop "talking" now cause I can't get my mouth open wide enough to get my foot in it. I'm actually a bit ignorant when it comes to 60's and 70's SBF stuff. My SBF experiences revolve around 80's and 90's Mustang's. 

Bill, what's your take on being able to fit a SBF into an early Ford without modifying the firewall, etc? Can it be done the same way I did my SBC swap pictured above?

And there you have it. I need to stop "talking" now cause I can't get my mouth open wide enough to get my foot in it. I'm actually a bit ignorant when it comes to 60's and 70's SBF stuff. My SBF experiences revolve around 80's and 90's Mustang's. 

Bill, what's your take on being able to fit a SBF into an early Ford without modifying the firewall, etc? Can it be done the same way I did my SBC swap pictured above?

:D  Dennis, I honestly don't know. I've never done a smallblock Ford swap in a '32 myself, so I just can't give a definitive answer as to whether it will fit with zero firewall mods. Every one I've ever seen HAS had the firewall hacked somewhat, but a lot of the Chebby-powered cars I've seen have too.

George Poteet's Windsor-powered '32 5-window comes to mind as one car that wouldn't have had the firewall cut if it was possible to get the smallblock Ford shoehorned in there without it, and Poteet's firewall IS cut.

I'll go out on a limb and say I THINK you might be able to get a short-pump 289 / 302 etc. in a '32 without cutting the firewall if you ran an electric pusher fan forward of the radiator...which kinda ruins the whole effect in my opinion.

"...if you ran an electric pusher fan forward of the radiator...which kinda ruins the whole effect in my opinion"

and looks terrible to boot.  I've never seen a sbf in a early Ford without cuttting the firewall either.  Dennis' example is exactly right about an easy swap using a sbc and matches my experience exactly.  

Sorry Tim :) 

The main issue with SBFs is the front sump. The Sump can interfere with the steering on the pre 1935 Fords where the spring is over the axle. In my experience I have had to mount SBFs further back than a SBC to give steering clearance unless I wanted to mount the engine way too high. The overall length wouldn't really be a problem if they had Chev type rear sumps. The Bronco sump has been commonly used but that only gives about an inch or so in real terms. The oil pump location is the determining factor

Chris

I'll go out on a limb and say I THINK you might be able to get a short-pump 289 / 302 etc. in a '32 without cutting the firewall if you ran an electric pusher fan forward of the radiator...which kinda ruins the whole effect in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. Regarding your last comments, I would probably stand on that limb with you. But, like you said, the fan issue would be a deal breaker. There's no way in hell I would have used an electric in my own truck, purely because of aesthetic reasons. 

B)

So this is a chopped top body correct? If so how much do you figure it was chopped based on what we have seen? Man, i can't wait to get this on my work bench. It's going to be a bench clearer just like the roadster. I hope someone runs a CBP. We really should for this one.

So this is a chopped top body correct? If so how much do you figure it was chopped based on what we have seen?

I haven't tried to pull anything like measurements off of the photos on the web, but my guess from the general proportions is that the chop is in the two-to-three inch range. Enough to remove the 'old-timey' look, but not enough to preclude being reasonably comfortable if channeled.

So this is a chopped top body correct? If so how much do you figure it was chopped based on what we have seen? Man, i can't wait to get this on my work bench. It's going to be a bench clearer just like the roadster. I hope someone runs a CBP. We really should for this one.

What's a CBP ? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

:D Just on another 1:1 note...I'd vastly prefer to run a 289-302 in my own car simply for the sound. I think the little Fords are some of the sweetest sounding V8 engines ever made, and I always think Chebby's sound like they're missing on one cylinder. It's the differences in the firing orders, obviously, but to me, the Ford is THE engine of choice for sound...but I'll probably build this thing with a Chebby.

Too true.  Our '67 289 2-bbl still managed a brash little junior rumble.  My ol' '93 5.0 sang like Pavarotti, obviously a reference for my Coyote, which sings like Bocelli. Never got used to the gargle or bus-like mid-range drone of my LS-1 - but its off-line snap and willingness to rev for a cam-in-block was a nice compensation.

Even those lousy 4.6 mills made good pipe music...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
typo

Paint 'er any color you want and throw a set of these on   :P

P9166884_zpstpnktiuv.jpg

mike

See, those are for guys who feel guilty about putting a Chevy in their Ford. I feel no guilt.

At all.

Just this morning on my way to work a guy sitting next to me at a red light complimented my truck and asked what it had in it. I proudly told him a Chevy small block.

:lol:

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would put valve covers that say DeSoto or Ford...I've seen Olds 88 too...on a Chebby engine.

Nothing wrong...I repeat...NOTHING wrong with a smallblock Chebby. It's a GREAT engine. Light, cheap, powerful. bulletproof, fits 'bout anywhere...and as much a vintage hot-rod icon as the flathead.

Fake is just fake.

Of course, there are a bunch of guys who think silicone grapefruit enhance a woman, too.   :D

Yeah, I don't get it either. I see the Oldsmobile covers on SBC's all the time now at shows and gatherings. The first time I saw this my thoughts were "Haha, that's funny." The rest of the times my thought was "Why?". 

It's kind of like all the young greasers and pin up girls that show up to events in their Honda Civic's.

I think the correct definition is Poser.

:lol:

But, to each their own.

That being said, I can't wait for this kit to hit the shelves soon!!!

Edited by Dennis Lacy

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE TIM

I WAS HOPING FOR A STOCK HEIGHT 1 PC BODY, BUT THIS KIT SOUNDS LIKE IT SHOULD GO TOGETHER A LOT NICER THAN THE OLD ONE

AN  OLDS MOTOR WOULD BE A NICE OPTION OVER THE SBC

Wouldn't doubt that Mr. Norm (Veber) is already thinking about a stock height greenhouse for this kit!  I'd be willing to trade a few of those smallblock Ford motors from the Deuce kits for some smallblock Chevy motors, (that is if the quality of the SBC is anywhere as good as the little Ford motors)!  Then again a whole lot of the early SBC engines from the '55 and up kits are really nice too, they beat the old AMT SBC any day of the week!  

Needless to say, I'm excited about this kit, I can see all sorts of possibilities from '60's Hot Rods, Dry Lakes and Saltflats Racers, Early Drag Cars, Y2K and later Hot Rods, Rusty rats...  Hopefully they do get around to getting a Quick Change rear end going for this, there is always another possibility of kit bashing the new frame under the '29 Ford Pickup and the '29 P/U frame under the new coupe for the classic Ford suspension, same frame setup under a few of the Revell Model A based kits, even the possibility of a banger engine!