Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wondering about all the Forum's members...

Ramfins59

And a question for Harry. When someone is banned from this forum, are all traces of them removed? Meaning their posts, user name(s), contact information, etc.?

While I'm certainly not Harry, I don't believe so, based upon comments by Gregg in this thread (post #1). On another forum that I belong to (that uses a slightly older version of the software used here), those that have died or been banned, have that information notated underneath their user data, but I haven't seen that here, even though I'm fairly certain that a few of the more obnoxious chaps that I recall, have been given the boot.

Since only Gregg can ban anyone, you'd have to ask him. I always assumed that if you are banned, all of you is banned (posts, contact info, etc.). But I've never banned anyone, so I'm not sure exactly how the software deals with a banned member.

Well, for me personally the reason for joining this forum in the first place was that it was a modelling forum that looks to have quite a bit of activity and it is mostly cars and truck (wich is my main interest). I guess there will always be someone making a fuzz on internet forums (the internet seems to bring out the worst in some people) and many members will probably have joined the forum at some time and either not found it interesting enough or maybe not to their taste.
In the last few years, many of the forums that I have been on (both modelling and others) have died of a lot. I think in many cases the reason for it is Facebook.
That was also the reason I wanted to join this forum, because here there is so much activity here that it is difficult for me to keep track of it all. That was the way it was with most other forums aswell some years ago.
I guess some people move on, maybe find other hobbies or maybe they work a lot or have families that require them to spend time on other things. I for one have a family and do not have as much time as before on building so therefore I have not finished a model in almost two years even if a couple have been really close.
Bu I like it here, and I will try and be as active as I can. I try to reply to all the WIP threads and Under Glass threads of the models that I like and I try to keep up with the news but in the last couple of months I have been really busy with a 1:1 car project and have not found much time to keep up with stuff here or on other forums.

I am personally a member of dozens of websites, from cars and motorcycles, to racing, drums, even writing, and I havent been to more than 3 in the past year. With the car and motorcycle sites, I occasionally post, when I have an issue, or need information, but I dont just hang out. Typically on those sites, it seems to be very competitive. If you arent sporting the lowest track times, or highest horsepower numbers, you are just another annoying poster, who doesnt know what they are doing. If you ask a question, you usually get railed for not searching, so I always search first, which keeps my post count low. 

Here, there are some very skilled builders. I have never seen them make a condescending remark about another project, or even offer advice unless it was asked for. I have seen some models that were beginner level, with several positive remarks posted with them. And the level 10 guys always help with advice and plenty of pictures. I have learned a lot by following, and searching, and have been given advice as well. There are strong opinions (the other day I was searching for spray booth advice....I found plenty) but for the most part, just helpful people trying to hang out with more helpful people who share a common interest. 

Wanna go halves on a bottle of Red Grape Malt Duck?

:lol::lol: oh man thats good,..Port59

I think it's about patience,... I mean, the amount needed, to produce something, legible, clean,straight ,believable, until you approve it,...

Maybe the wayward ones, couldn't do that,..."looked good on TV", .it takes too long!...  .right  ?

And, I think the more appropriate number to look at (bottom, centre, leftish), are the number of members , and guests and anonymous' that are here right now!!

Anywho,...  That doesn't dismiss those in the birthdays ..., that have signed up more than once, because they forgot heir password LOL:lol::lol:

Edited by Belugawrx
cheers

Some people get the internet version of stage fright when it comes to expressing themselves. Others might have difficulty engaging in discussions with what are, in essence, anonymous entities. It's not the same as talking to someone with a physical presence. Well, that can be a good thing. If things get heated, the only thing you can punch is the computer screen in front of you.

What's the word?

Thunderbird!

How’s it sold?

Good and cold.

What’s the jive?

Bird’s alive. 

What's the price?

Forty twice!

Bum Wine

Edited by SfanGoch

Some people get the internet version of stage fright when it comes to expressing themselves. Others might have difficulty engaging in discussions with what are, in essence, anonymous entities. It's not the same as talking to someone with a physical presence. Well, that can be a good thing. If things get heated, the only thing you can punch is the computer screen in front of you.

What's the word?

Thunderbird!

How’s it sold?

Good and cold.

What’s the jive?

Bird’s alive. 

What's the price?

Forty twice!

Bum Wine

What's the action?

Satisfaction!

Richard....I have plenty of time on my hands to pass by being disabled.  I have very many friends on here some old ones and some newer ones...it gives me a chance to share my love for building/collecting and maybe find help or get to offer help to others here who need it...it makes things easier for everyone in the end.  Some members are more active like me due to they have the time to be while others work,family,etc.takes some of their time away giving them less time to be here.  Me being on a very strict small budget I have more time to be here while others are building constantly and cant be as active as me....there is lots of reason we all are more or less active here.

Since only Gregg can ban anyone, you'd have to ask him. I always assumed that if you are banned, all of you is banned (posts, contact info, etc.). But I've never banned anyone, so I'm not sure exactly how the software deals with a banned member.

I get to be the executioner. If you get banned, you get the full Roman treatment. It's severe. Your account and content get removed. No, we cannot go back and get it. Depending on circumstances, we might even block your internet address.

interesting conundrum this banning. in another forum members are up in arms. seems a member was banned because he went back and deleted almost 300 of his threads. evidently the majority thought those threads held a wealth of information which should have been kept available to the body of the forum. management is now trying to sift out the good info, but evidently it's a tangled web.

"... not banned for any individual posts he has made. The reason I banned Jeff is because he just deleted over 300 threads that he started, representing contributions from tens of thousands of our community members and tens of thousands of individual posts made by members. That action was damaging to the community in ways I feel is both vindictive, childish, and unacceptable."

anyone needing to read 14 pages of gibberish can do so here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155307-Banning-Agavelvr

not sure if you will have to join to see the good stuff.

There are only a couple hundred "active" members who actually post here–some regularly, some every now and then. The majority of members never post at all. They may look, but we never hear from them.

Yup.
I'm in the latter category.  I look every day but rarely post.
Most of the time... when I am building, it's for magazine articles.  Posting projects like that is like tipping your hand at a poker game...

I get to be the executioner. If you get banned, you get the full Roman treatment. It's severe. Your account and content get removed. No, we cannot go back and get it. Depending on circumstances, we might even block your internet address.

I don't know when members get banned most of the time unless i see it in a thread. One member seemed to fight with everyone then apologized then got banned and tried to sneak back before getting blocked. I will not mention names but it has been very peaceful since and I don't want anyone banned i did just avoid his posts..

I just lost interest for a while, put everything away. Arthritis in my left hand had limited my model building. I still look at this sight 2 or 3 times a week, alot of times without signing in. I have started back building again, just haven't got far enough along to post pictures. I still look and see builds that i want to comment on, but i'm so far behind on what's on here it would'nt be fair to single those out and it would take weeks to comment on all of them, all nice builds! I'll get back in the mix soon....

To add to David's comment on the account deletion, with the old version, I could run a script which not only deleted the account, content, etc., but banned the IP's, within a range, and that seemed to work fine.

With this new one, it will only pull the direct IP, and not the range, and I have to add the range (that * thingee) (I know, all that technical talk, that's why I leave that to David).

It will delete all content, and then we have to add by hand the range. That's a good thing for the updates to send to them. Add the range of the IP so they can reboot router and get new IP end number.

When you open up the Forum, to the lower right of the screen it says that the total number of members is 15,736.  Man that is a lot of members...!!!  For the last couple of months I have been looking at the member's info for each one having a birthday each day.  It seems that the majority of members have less than 100 postings on the Forum, and, haven't been on the Forum for 2, 3, or 4 years...!!!  

The majority of those members haven't been to the forum in EONS. If you go through the list, you'll see some very cool user names that cannot be used because someone joined the forum in 1999, posted 3 times and never returned.  I thought when the board went to new software, they would have cleaned out the directory... it wouldn't be wrong to delete users who hadn't logged on in say five years?   They aren't coming back!

To add to David's comment on the account deletion, with the old version, I could run a script which not only deleted the account, content, etc., but banned the IP's, within a range, and that seemed to work fine.

With this new one, it will only pull the direct IP, and not the range, and I have to add the range (that * thingee) (I know, all that technical talk, that's why I leave that to David).

It will delete all content, and then we have to add by hand the range. That's a good thing for the updates to send to them. Add the range of the IP so they can reboot router and get new IP end number.

Boring.
Finish your '29 Roadster.
The clock is ticking......

I used to post here frequently in 2007 and 2008 , but at one point I had no place to build models for a few years, and once I had the place to build models again I shifted my interest to airplanes.

I am building cars as well now but I really have nothing exciting to post. I do like reading the posts here and seeing what other people are building. 

Edited by kurth