Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still taking a break from German armor, I decided on another British Sherman.

This is "Cocky". She is (was) a Sherman III first used by the British at El Alamein. Cocky hit a mine and was repaired. 

Cocky transferred to another unit and hit a mine. She was repaired......................... again.

Cocky finally hit a large anti-tank mine. This is the only known photo of Cocky on that fateful day.

My take on this wonderful old girl.

There is a lot of speculation not only as to the camouflage pattern, but the actual colors used as well. I posed some questions on another site frequented primarily by English armor modelers. I learned that the most likely colors based on veteran's accounts were sand yellow and black. I also learned the camo patterns were not random but based on a supplied set of diagrams. The painting crew had some discretion, but the basic pattern was followed.Knowing that, I took a shot and produced what you see here.

G

I'm sure I wouldn't have wanted to either.

Funny though, for as much as I enjoy modeling armor I had no desire to be a tanker in those bygone years. Something about riding around in the biggest target on the battlefield that everyone shoots at, left me wanting something....different. ;)

That is indeed a unit marking on the fender. That's from the next regiment, 44 RTR, she was assigned to after El Alamein.  

G

Besides the family connection to that campaign, I just cannot get enough of the various camouflage schemes used by the combatants. 

The M3 Lee/Grant was considered all but obsolete until the Brits starting tearing up the Germans with them in mid 1942. Lots of options for colorful paint there as well. 

G

I have a few of those comic books now, chased them down a few years ago during a "nostalgia craving".

If you're background is like mine ~age 13 or 14 your Mom convinced you to toss the 3' tall piles of 10 cent Comics you stopped reading and buying a couple of years prior because 12 cents just seemed like too much.

If you're background is like mine ~age 13 or 14 your Mom convinced you to toss the 3' tall piles of 10 cent Comics you stopped reading and buying a couple of years prior because 12 cents just seemed like too much.

Not my folks, but my own decision, when I reached that stupid age of "real men don't keep toys and comic books", so I pitched them all myself. Little did I know that years later I would grow to seriously regret that decision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not my folks, but my own decision, when I reached that stupid age of "real men don't keep toys and comic books", so I pitched them all myself. Little did I know that years later I would grow to seriously regret that decision.

I think a lot of us went through that.  My dad worked on a railway in the diesel shop, he'd bring home all the discarded horror comics that the night crew read on their breaks.  One day my mom threw out a suitcase full of them. 

Nice work on the tank!

Thank you sir!

A few years back I inherited a collection of Playboy magazines dating back to the mid 1970's.

They are safely stored away at my place now waiting for the time to be placed where thay can be appreciated. 

G

• 3 weeks later...