Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model building season is coming to a end

Been prepping and painting bodies the past month or so. getting ready for winter months assembling . I've got 2 or 3 painted for winter projects and another 2 maybe 3 that I want to paint. . Painted one but I like it and cant put it up till winter so have been building it now.

I'll build all winter, mood and motivation permitting, of course. It'll still be warm enough in my basement to paint for at least a month or six weeks more, and I'm hoping to get at least two current projects painted in that time for deep-winter assembly. Of course, I always have my polished-plastic projects to fill those days when it's just too, too cold/hot/humid to paint.

I'm painting something everyday right now, before my basement gets too cold too. I will continue painting as long as it stays fairly warm down there. I've got so many projects right now in different states of build, just waiting for certain parts that need to be painted certain colors. It's a bit chaotic around here right now. But, that's part of the fun.

• 1 month later...

I'm painting something everyday right now, before my basement gets too cold too. I will continue painting as long as it stays fairly warm down there. I've got so many projects right now in different states of build, just waiting for certain parts that need to be painted certain colors. It's a bit chaotic around here right now. But, that's part of the fun.

No heat in your basement, or not enough? A HVAC guy can take care of that for you so that you're comfortable all year round.

• 1 year later...

For the first time in my life I have something outside to do aside from the usual mowing chores. We bought a 10 acre homestead in an Idaho canyon last fall.

My spring/summer honey-do is as follows

1. Build chicken coop. 

2. Build the raised beds for the vegetable garden.

3. Clear the rabbit grass and sagebrush from the orchard.

4. Replace four windows on the house, replace trim and paint the house.

5. Have roof replaced.

No pressure.

21 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

For the first time in my life I have something outside to do aside from the usual mowing chores. We bought a 10 acre homestead in an Idaho canyon last fall.

1. Build chicken coop. 

5. Have roof replaced.

No pressure.

There is still the early mornings and evenings. ;)

49 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Good thought, but that dog won't hunt, as they say up here. In Idaho it's still light out at 9pm. Dawn to dusk is 16.5 hours in June.

I know it is the same here. But we try not to work 16 hours, and often succeed. ^_^

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

1. Build chicken coop. 

5. Have roof replaced.

No pressure.

Sounds like you might have less time for fiddling with your plastic hobby! It’s all good though. 

By the way - if you have time to read, and haven’t read it previously, your new homestead reminds me of the book Angle of Repose. An excellent book (one of my favorites) about an engineer and his family in the Wild West - they spend some time in a canyon around your new neck of the woods (or sage brush) trying to design and plan irrigation systems. 

Having been retired for 8 years I tend to build all year long . I look forward to having warmer weather return so I move some of my stuff out onto the high top table on our deck where there is shade from a huge maple tree,. Those are the most enjoyable building times for me personally. I paint outdoors so the warmer weather will surely be welcome to get some paint on some stuff I fabricated over the winter. I do a lot of scratch building so the fab time is rewarding seeing my designs realized in scale.

10 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Having been retired for 8 years I tend to build all year long . I look forward to having warmer weather return so I move some of my stuff out onto the high top table on our deck where there is shade from a huge maple tree,. Those are the most enjoyable building times for me personally. I paint outdoors so the warmer weather will surely be welcome to get some paint on some stuff I fabricated over the winter. I do a lot of scratch building so the fab time is rewarding seeing my designs realized in scale.

I do that too. It is most enjoyable.

IMG_2623_1.jpg

To me as a retiree there is no season for model building, it is continuous. No let up, flat out. Very few of us in the UK have 'cars in the garage' due to the fact that fuel here is around £5 to £6 per gallon, we can't afford to have a second car to play with. The creative juices therefore don't have time to stop, so we must carry on regardless!