Model Cars Magazine Forum

I live in Missouri and in the summer I love to go down to our beautiful streams and canoe on the rivers.  The canoe rental company I rent from is Jadwin Canoe rental.  Over the winter I thought I'd make a truck that you might see them using to shuttle canoes and people back and forth on the river. 

I started with the Revell Trucks, GMC Pick Up.  The paint is an acrylic artist paint made by Golden and applied through a dual action air brush. It is great stuff.  While it may seem expensive, coverage is great and you hardly need to use any.  You dont have to thin it, water clean up is a snap, and it covers great.  I used the hair spray method to create the rusty paint job. I think the trick to success with this method is to not let the hair spray or the paint dry too long.  You really need to do the procedure within 24 hours or the paint dries too hard and you cant get it off.  I think you also need to use an acrylic paint.  I've never had luck with enamels with this method. I also used Vallejo washes and Mig Pigments for the first time.  Both work great!  Highly recommended.  The rack for the canoes was made from brass square and soldered together. The paddles were hand made from coffee stirs.  The canoes were cheap toy canoes bough on line for less than $5.00.  The pin stripe decals on them really made them come alive. 

Skills I was trying to work on with this project were:

Painting with an airbrush, hair spray technique, rust through on body panels, soldering, making my own decals, miniaturizing maps and brochures, and general weathering using pastel chalks and washes.   

I hope you like it.  If you have never tried making truck or car look used and beat up, you should.  It's a lot of fun and if you screw something up, put a little more rust on it. 

IMG_1012 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1011 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1009 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1006 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1010 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

Edited by St Louis Snacker
I forgot to add a front picture