Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 GTX V-X

Deckerz

I thought id build something else along side my Holy Moly 41 project, I've figured as the 41 will take a lot of time as im only contructing the chassis at the moment. 

On the side I decided to build this beauty, a 71 Plymouth GTX.

85-4016-lg_zpsavwxzjtt.jpg

Some of you might wonder about the V-X, simply its v10. I plan on doing a trade with someone for a viper srt-10, once I have that il stick a supercharger on it.

The kit is due to arrive tomorrow and then this can begin.

Edited by Deckerz

The kit turned up and I got right to it. I found an viper engine from the ram vts kit in my parts box, although it had the transmission cut off im currently bonding a new one to it, some srt10 wheels and tyres, racing bucket seat I believe to be from a amt nascar kit fit beautifully, and a big supercharger thats currently missing the front but its only because it wasn't sitting straight.

Heres some photos from earlier just mocking up.

I've stripped the chrome of the front and rear bumpers as they'll be painted the same colour as the body, im thinking maybe a silver, the wheels will be gloss black or gun metal.

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see un the previous pictures the rear wheel sat slightly on the outside of the wheel arch but I wanted it sitting inside, the only problem was it wasn't possible with the stock chassis so some modifications needed to be done, here is my progress, all I need to do now is put some putty on and sand smooth. As you can see I tried saving as much of the inner fender as I could.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive decided to work on the interior for a bit until a few bits turn up, as im going for a sort of race car that could be used everyday. I decided to cut out the rear seats and I used some 0.25mm styrene sheet to cover the bench I just need some putty to tidy everything up, a roll cage will be built too, im not going for a completely stripped out look just most of it haha.

The dash will be slightly modified just to compensate for satnav as ive got a few decals.

Also there will be a unique paintjob for the body but im keeping that a secret until the time comes....

A few little things have been done, I had trouble with the rear bumper with panel lines and general fitting so I've decided to glue as I've dine what I can, just waiting for some putty and il smooth the bumper into the body. I also cut the grill part out of grill leaving the surround which il will put some mesh behind and some new headlights. Finally ive been able to decide on the ideal ride height!

• 11 months later...

Its been a while since my last post, between work, my child and everything else life has been chucking at me this past year ive only been able to do bits as and when i can but slowly things are getting back on track. A little body work has been done, mainly getting the shape right and smoothing, also some work on the engine, im focusing on that right now to get all the little details done, fuel rails, realistic exhaust manifold pipes ect.

Thanks man progress is slow but im getting there, i have ran into a slight problem though, i have lost the valve covers for the engine -_-, i put a coat of primer on the body to see where im at with it and there still seems to be quite a bit of work but onwards and upwards!

Stance mockup, im not using the viper wheels now i think they look a bit silly, in my opinion it should have deep rims so i got some random tyres i had from a chevelle kit, i have had the rims for these though so may have to contact revell about these. Anyway after some hard sanding on the front end to get the blending im going for i decided to take a break and see how it looks at the stance i want with the engine too, i get the feeling more modification is going to be needed to the hood slightly to clear the supercharger!