Model Cars Magazine Forum

P-38 drop tank dimensions

Is there any detailed drawings out there for the P-38's 300 gallon drop tank? I've seen some out there that give the overall shape, but no detail as far as the flange that mates the two halves together. I was thinking about making one in 1/8 scale using Big Deuce parts, and some 3-D printing.

1948_Bellytank_Lakester_SCTA_Bonneville_Race_Car_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg

:D The P-38 tank is roughly 36" in diameter by 13 feet long. Honest.

I'll post the drawings as soon as I find them on my hard drive. B)

There is already a 1/8 scale tank available too. I'll find that info for you as well.

EDIT: Or...if you can wait a couple weeks, I'm in the process of turning 1/8 and 1/25 scale plugs on my lathe, and will be making copies shortly...in scale-thickness fiberglass.

The drawings that I've found so far on my drive don't have the flange detail; I replaced the hard drive a while back, and it looks like some data was lost.

Here are the section dimensions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2185&d=12624

Flange details are easy to ascertain from photos like these.

Photo: Holly Martin

IMG_3178.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The one on the left is the drawing I used when I made mine. I just scaled it to 1/25th and printed it out to make a pattern. The other tank is from when I was thinking of making one based on the first bellytanker, before they went to the larger ones. Hope it helps!

droptank.PNG

:D The P-38 tank is roughly 36" in diameter by 13 feet long. Honest.

I'll post the drawings as soon as I find them on my hard drive. B)

There is already a 1/8 scale tank available too. I'll find that info for you as well.

EDIT: Or...if you can wait a couple weeks, I'm in the process of turning 1/8 and 1/25 scale plugs on my lathe, and will be making copies shortly...in scale-thickness fiberglass.

The drawings that I've found so far on my drive don't have the flange detail; I replaced the hard drive a while back, and it looks like some data was lost.

Here are the section dimensions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2185&d=12624

Flange details are easy to ascertain from photos like these.IMG_3178.JPG

That's the drawing that I've been working off of