Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renwal '66 Duesenburg concept

realgone58

I think the "up top" does this design no favors. I'll go with a diplomatic "unique" and a very nice build. I'm a Virgil Exner fan so I will judge a little softer on this design. This is the only car I need from this series to complete my set. Since Revell owns the Renwall tooling it would be interesting to see if these molds still exist.

Edited by Phirewriter

I think the "up top" does this design no favors. I'll go with a diplomatic "unique" and a very nice build. I'm a Virgil Exner fan so I will judge a little softer on this design. This is the only car from this series to complete my set. Since Revell owns the Renwall tooling it would be interesting to see if these molds still exist.

Mike's right.

It is unique.......& ugly as hell! :P

Looks like someone stuck a Duesenburg grill an the ass of a '59 Buick!

But it is nicely done Alan

Steve

Nice save!

I see a hint of Plymouth Valiant in the body sculpting on this design...and maybe a bit of Studebaker Avanti...It doesn't quite succeed though O.O

Maybe someone should try to do an extreme customizing job on one of these and see if it can be made into something good-looking. A tall order!

Very good Steve!! But, the grille reminds me more of the one on the '70 Pontiac than the Duesenberg!

There you go!

I couldn't quite place where I had seen that grille before, but it does look a little more "Pontiac-ish" than anything else.

Truly a "horror" in the automotive design world! :P

Steve

Mike's right.

It is unique.......& ugly as hell! :P

Looks like someone stuck a Duesenburg grill an the ass of a '59 Buick!

But it is nicely done Alan

Steve

LOL...........it's pretty bad. Only thing I do actually like is the overhang of the front fenders. Sort of Imperial "esque".  I love Exner's designs, but when he got to some of these, it's easy to see why Chrysler canned his ass. 

LOL...........it's pretty bad. Only thing I do actually like is the overhang of the front fenders. Sort of Imperial "esque".  I love Exner's designs, but when he got to some of these, it's easy to see why Chrysler canned his ass. 

Well Alan, it's still a nice representation, & that's what matters.

Everyone's taste in cars varies.

Hell, I love the '60-'62 Plymouths & Dodges! :D

Steve

Yep, I look at this design and see a lot of details that I like...it's just that they don't quite gel. Overall, I think it needs some adjustment to the proportions and placement of some of the styling elements. It could potentially look much more resolved, while still retaining most of the same details. There were definitely some wacky (and interesting!) designs floating around in the 60s.

A modern built modern Duesenberg!  Awesome.  I have long admired that series from Renwal but have always been too undecided about wheel solutions.  I don't care for the simplistic wires they came with.  I did a couple of quick and easy mods with my very limited photo manipulation skills and came up with this.  Body color wheel discs cover the wires and leave the center cap.  And that mess over the side pipe had to go.  Darkening the chassis pieces underneath the side pipes could also help. Maybe even a set of modern large diameter chrome wheels and low profile tires could bring things together.  The Duesenberg has the most potential to be modernized in my view. 

exner dues.jpg

Edited by RomanII