Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1984 GMC Pickup (Video Review) 2016 Reissue

hpiguy

That's the 1983-1984 grille, which is the one in the MPC Deserter kit.

Unless I'm somehow misunderstanding your question?

No it isn't, look closer, I made the same mistake initially. The Deserter has 4 headlights with parking lights in the grill (and the bumper). The truck I linked to has only 2 headlights with parking lights directly below the headlights (where a second set of headlights is in the kit), no lights in the grill or bumper.

No, that's a base model grille. Don't know of any in resin and I'm 99.9 % sure it was never in a kit.

Thanks, thought that was the case, but figured I'd check before spending too much time on it. Future project so I have time...

Are there any options in the aftermarket for  1980s period correct off road tires and maybe even "wagon wheels" ? I also have the firestone '78 ford pickup with wheels and tires that look about right for my vision of how I would like to build this kit, but I want to build that kit too.  I love this kit but the wheels and tires just look so strange since they are 1/20th scale.

I sure do love these late 70s/early 80s trucks.  Thanks MPC for bringing it back out.

No it isn't, look closer, I made the same mistake initially. The Deserter has 4 headlights with parking lights in the grill (and the bumper). The truck I linked to has only 2 headlights with parking lights directly below the headlights (where a second set of headlights is in the kit), no lights in the grill or bumper.

This was my mistake for not being specific enough. It IS the 1983-1984 grill, but as pointed out it's the base version of the one offered on the Deserter kit. The headlight arrangements are a bit different but the grill itself is the same. 

Are there any options in the aftermarket for  1980s period correct off road tires and maybe even "wagon wheels" ? I also have the firestone '78 ford pickup with wheels and tires that look about right for my vision of how I would like to build this kit, but I want to build that kit too.  I love this kit but the wheels and tires just look so strange since they are 1/20th scale.

I sure do love these late 70s/early 80s trucks.  Thanks MPC for bringing it back out.

Check out the AMT 1980 Bronco kit, it has a nice set of older wheels and tires with separate center hubs.

This was my mistake for not being specific enough. It IS the 1983-1984 grill, but as pointed out it's the base version of the one offered on the Deserter kit. The headlight arrangements are a bit different but the grill itself is the same. 

Ah, ok so literally the grill. Good to know that at least can stay the same except of course for the extra set of parking lights.

I have 3 of these kits and the grille that is in this kit would match up to an 83-84 GMC Sierra Classic.  The front bumper is not right for an 83-84 as it is what would be on a 81-82 GMC/Chevy.  If you want the 83-84 bumper you will need to fill in the parking lights.   I should know exactly what this is since I've had an 1:1 82 Chevy, 84 GMC, 84 Chevy, and an 87 Chevy.

If you don't want to fill in the parking lights in the bumper just look at it like it has been replaced with a bumper from an 81-82 GMC/Chevy.

Edited by MyBradKeselowski

Check out Scenes Unlimited, Danny has a bunch of wheels and tires that you could use, depending on your tastes!

Also, Fireball has some new wheels and tires that might be what you are looking for.

Edited by mikemodeler