Model Cars Magazine Forum

Knowing when to say when

drummerdad

I have been modeling for decades. I had about a 7 year break, when my kids thought they were toys and crashed a few, so I put them up. In the last 2 years, I have returned to the hobby, and I really enjoy it, even though I dont get a lot of time to build. 

I am struggling with knowing when to say enough is enough. I look at my older models, and they look horrible to me. So, I want to improve, and add details and custom parts. Then I search and see another build of a kit I am building, and notice a detail I forgot. So I work on adding that, then there are the detail parts, and upgrades.....I am learning a ton here, watching some of the masters build. And I have scratch built 2 chassis. One is scrap, but I learned a bunch building it. I started over, and its looking better, and I have started the 1/16 mustang, and have some parts on order so I can finish the chassis on it. I want to build every model like its a car I would own. 

Then there are the costs of all these parts. I have been out of it for awhile, and my paint and glue were history. So I am restocking, and holy cow, paint got expensive. So, with detail parts, styrene, paint, glue, tools, kits, resin parts, 3d parts....The costs to build even a 1/24 kit can exceed $100. The 1/8 camaro build I am planning will reach $500, and I havent found all the parts I want for it yet. The chassis will be scratch built, so that is just parts.

I know, I know. I can just build a box stock model, for about $25, plus paint and glue. Noone says that a model needs all that detail, and the expensive parts. But that doesnt do it for me. I have 3 builds on hold for parts. And I just spent $50 on paint friday, so I can get back into the motorcycle models I had on hold. 

So, how much do you typically spend to build a model? And how do you say enough is enough? I know some of the Pocher kits get crazy expensive. Maybe some day, Ill get that 1/4 scale Panigalle Ducati. 

Edited by drummerdad
spelling

For me it depends on the particular model that I'm building.  If it's a Curbside model or promo I won't go crazy with money on it.  Sometimes the promos will need replacement grille & bumpers or an interior or glass.  If I can get them from Modelhaus I will.  I'll add mirrors and antennas and whitewall tires that I'll scrounge from my parts stash.  When I'm in the mood for a full-tilt detailed model, usually either a Factory Stock, Custom or Street Rod, that's where the expenses start to add up, but those don't happen all the time.  

Dwayne... Me I spend very little on them or as little as possible due to my very very low income.  Sure I will from time to time put extras on or in them to add detail,etc. but I also will make my own parts sometimes or convert a kit into another version of the same car. I love to restore old models and promos but due to my budget I have to wait till I can find or afford what they need if i can find them. Id say one has to look at what the model or promo is worth to the builder and what kind of budget one has to work with.  On my budget I have learned to be very creative in finding items for detailing a model...old electronics,etc can offer wiring,etc. that can be used.

I think the key answer is to just do what makes you feel good about the build ... this is supposed to be a hobby and fun.

Many things control how far I go with detail and cost. The dominate factor for me is my tendency to over detail everything, so I always have to keep a check on that so it might eventually get done. Since my coming back to the hobby 20 years ago I've concentrated on building the cars I've owned. I was lucky that most all have kits that are close and I really enjoy getting the details of the 1:1 right. So I do tend to over-spend ... I'd guess the average $100 to build with the highest maybe something less than the $500 you say, thou that's for a large scale .. mine are all 1/25. The most expensive part is the body for some of the rarer cars in some form. I recently paid $175 for a '51 Plymouth promo, but this was my first car and the price of these gets way out of line because of the promo collector (not build) market. I get many resin parts on speculation for a build.

Then there's DOA ... Detail Obsession Anomalous :D

I simply have the same problems with you Dwayne. Now I really can't bear my old finishes,  so every time I plan to build a new one I need to buy out the most. like photo-etch parts, metal wheels, spare decals or whatever the kit need and can be improved. And hell no I am extremely crazy into Le mans group C cars, so the kit itself is expensive due to some of them never release again now, so sometime I bought double to make sure a perfect build...and oh plus paint, and hell no again I only use spray can.<_<. So buying cans can costs a lot.

Now I really can't stand that a kit has its own photo-etch parts or metal parts but I, but I ain't buy it. it makes me feel incomplete. I know it's kind of OCD but I just simply can't help with it.:rolleyes:

For me at the moment, it's cheap, cheap, cheap. The less I spend, the better. Probably my first half dozen cars will be done mostly OOB curbside, and even then they're taking way too long. Adding a bunch of additional junk to each, would only prolong the time until I see finished results, and I don't feel like waiting.

Edited by Roadrunner

One of my biggest problems is, I have wanted to build a tube chassis car for a long time. I tried several years ago, and it was horrible. Now I think my skill level has increased enough to make it a passable build. Not on the level of some of the guys here, obviously, but not an embarrassment either. I currently have three tube chassis builds in progress, not counting the scrap chassis for the drag week corvette. I think if I get it done and out of my system, maybe I can build a few where I just add a roll cage, and some minor details, or build a few of the exotics on my list. I hope so anyway. 

I also have a habit of starting a project, putting it on the back burner, then robbing it to start another. I have thrown away numerous kits, because there wasnt anything left of them. This gets expensive. Or I buy two identical kits, and cut one up to build this awesome custom model, then I screw it up, or end up hating it. I have had in the past two '69 camaros in 1/12 scale, and the 1/12 '57 chevy. I got too deep into them, and lost interest. Lost some parts, broke some others, etc... They are going for about $100 each now. And the 1/8 iroc I have is my second also. I was building a salt flat car, when my son fell into the box, busting the roof completely in. I have to start completing some kits. 

I would go see a counselor over my issues, but that would take away from the model budget. :D

Fortunately for me, there are quite a few cars that are quite interesting to me just the way they're presented in the kit, requiring nothing really, except perhaps some new tires. Some of the tires in my kits, look like some mutated off road 4x4 mudders or something, hardly fit for a street car. I have no idea what manufacturers are thinking of when they put these nasty mutations in the box.

Fortunately for me, there are quite a few cars that are quite interesting to me just the way they're presented in the kit, requiring nothing really, except perhaps some new tires. Some of the tires in my kits, look like some mutated off road 4x4 mudders or something, hardly fit for a street car. I have no idea what manufacturers are thinking of when they put these nasty mutations in the box.

I know. I have the Dodge Charger SRT8 from Lindberg, and the wheels are not even close. I drive a Charger RT with the road and track package, everyday. It has the 20" wheels, just like the SRT8, (they are chrome clad, instead of forged, but still the same size). I had to buy aftermarket wheels for it. 

I used to have the same problem. The problem was, because of all the aftermarket parts ordering, detailing, scratchbuilding and kitbashing, I just wasn't finishing any models. Maybe one or two a year. So after some serious thought I've decided that I won't go whole hog on every single build. Because sometimes paint and build is okay. Besides, unless you are a big competitor at model shows who's gonna see all that extra detail from inside the display cabinet? 

Because of this I very rarely have more than $60 in a completed model.

Gotta build within your capabilities and budget. Also you need to make sure you have the basics down pat.  In most cases lots of aftermarket parts won't help bad paint or ejection pin marks and mold lines.

I build a fair number if out of the box to play with various paint techniques. I also build using some artermarket to develop the skills for the all out builds.  However there is an lots that you can do without using a lot of aftermarket parts by doing some sdratchbuilding and re purposing various items for detailing.