Model Cars Magazine Forum

I bought this big Ducati last week, the metal parts are very nice but the plastic looks really cheap so that will al be painted.
Im also not a fan of the black screws in the engine so I will try to find some replacement for that also.

f2acdc4f-8e8f-4546-8eb0-9c0bdc790631.jpg

To be continued ;)

Edited by Dinky

Sorry guys, I have been very busy with work and my 1:1 bike so didnt had much opportunity to do or post something.
First of all this is whats in the box, I borrowed this picture because you need about a whole room (floor area) to make this picture.

1.jpg
All sprues are separately packed in plastic, even if something went of the sprue it is in a small plastic bag with a number on it.
The metal looks very nice and, all parts are packed in foam or plastic also.
IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg
IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

Rear tire, just for comparison with a 1:24 wheel.
IMG_3092.jpg

Metal brake disc center that needs attention :-)
IMG_3048.jpg

The gray plastic looks awfull, and really needs paint.
IMG_3095.jpg

All bolts added in the box are black Philips screws and look very unrealistic to me, im searching for a supplier that has small replacement stuff.

Edited by Dinky

Very drool worthy packaging. This kit was priced at R 14 000 in my local hobby store. That's about $800 US at our current exchange rate. Way too pricey for my meagre budgetary constraints. I have to save just to get a basic 1:25 kit. I will follow this build and imagine that I am building it alongside yours.

Agreed its expensive for sure, but i paid lot less than 800 usd.

Thanks for the link Scott, shipping to Holland is expensive. I found german guy on Ebay that has most tiny bolts. Trying to build a list of what I need to do one shipping. There are 25 different bags of screws in the kit.

Here is another supplier for "nuts and bolts" in Germany  http://knupfer.info/shop/

Thanks Bo, this is also a nice shop. http://www.schraubenking.at

Followed! This is awesome! I'd love to build one, but yes the above posted prices are like 3 years' worth of kit prices for me :(

Thats why I did not buy any kits the last two years :lol:

These are the kits Philips screws.

This is with torx bolts that I found in my stash. Looks like a good alternative to me.

I had some time the last days so I made a start with the engine.

The metal centers of the discs where full of sinkmarks so I sanded them and repainted them. I also painted the ABS sensor.

Also the tubes between the disc and the center have been cleaned and clearcoated. Out of the box they are black.

And the back end.

• 2 months later...

I skipped the plan to replace all bolts with stainless ones, this is going to be very expensive. And knowing  95% of the bolts will never be seen when the bike is finished. I’m trying to take the black coating of the bolts and put a bit silver paint in the Philips cross.

The both tires are sanded to remove the mold line, decals are on the rims and the valve stems are painted with Alclad. All the grey plastic looked really awful and has been resprayed with silver, also the radiator sides have been closed (screw holes) with putty. Same for the exhaust, this looks really bad with all holes in it. Also most of the black plastic parts have been resprayed in black.

The paint from the lower parts of the front fork and the brake calipers has been removed with brake fluid and these parts have been resprayed with custom mixed color. The dashboard has been repainted with black instead of gold, it had burr formation under the paint unfortunately.

I made one dumb mistake, I dropped the wheel center nuts (3) in the brake fluid and forgotten them for a couple of weeks. They are now more like chewing gum than plastic L Need to find a way to reorder these.

Overall going well, fuel tank and seat have been installed and some small parts. Currently working on the clip-ons with brake cans, trying to simulate some brake fluid.

559e6ea1-ab39-464b-9ecb-bad00164734c.jpg