Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Dirt Bike 2 Pack

x2 3 and 4.  

Jeff 

.........you know it, Jeff, when I read all the moaning about RC2 not making new items, and how compared to other BRAND X makers they are out of date, I'm glad they are, because some of us prefer cars that actually build easier and still look great no matter . many of the BRAND X makers should take lessons from the best, because it sure ain't them....DETROIT  originals, now RC2 will always be the heritage of this hobby...........the Ace............B)

No chrome on these bikes? I remember the MPCs had chrome exhausts and handlebars, or is my memory bad?

I don't think they did, Bob....the one I had about a zillion years ago was all white,,,,,but, some of the Revell ones had chrome parts as I recall.....hope this confuses all of us even more...lol...:lol:........the Ace.............

I remember no chrome on the MPC bikes. How I remember is that I was so frustrated with the Square Bottle Testor's silver not looking chrome. I had to hand paint all teh "Chrome" and it was sloppy. I hated it. Hope this helps.

Edit: Well, I hopped on over to the Drastic Plastic archives. Seems my 30 year old memories betrayed me. If you look up the 1976 Dodge P/U sheet, you'll see both bikes. They are clearly shown with Chrome Forks, Handlebars, and oddly Kickstands. What is truly odd to me is that the tool shown on the first post in this thread, shows no way for those parts to be plated? Everything is on one tree. Strange............ I stll want one. Maybe if sales are brisk enough, we'll get the other bike later.

Edited by alexis
New Information

I was just thinking. There are other subjects like the bikes, that I would like to see them reissued in parts packs. MPC's '69 and '70 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop kits came with a canoe and roof racks. In the early 60's AMT's Ford pickup trucks came with a go kart. Several MPC kits came with mini bikes and bumper brackets. Man, I loved those extras. I am sure there are others I don't even know about, but would be interested in buying if Round 2 were to offer them in in a simular parts pack packaging.

This version won't have plated parts because they've probably combined everything onto one sprue as opposed to scattering the parts among others as was done when the cycle was included as an accessory in another kit.  As included in the '72 Chevy stepside kit, the cycle had a plated exhaust pipe.  The version in the Dodge pickup kits had an unplated pipe.  Forks and handlebars were plated in both.  I don't have a Dodge van kit with the cycle in it so I can't say for sure what parts were plated in that one.  The carrier brackets that attach to the van rear bumper seem to be included in this version.

The parts are numbered differently for the bike in the Dodge pickup as opposed to the Chevy.  I'm not sure if the parts are the same (just renumbered) or if there was more than one of this particular bike.  The '76 Dodge pickup kit had two cycles included, but they were different from one another.  One was a Yamaha, the other a Suzuki (the one with the "snowflake" style wheels).  The Suzuki only appeared in that one issue of the Dodge as I recall.

Does anyone know specifics as to what bike/engine/etc these are supposed to be?

I just remembered (yes, brain is seriously going) that I bought a used Yamaha IT 175 dirt bike in about 1984 and it looks like this could be close enough for me to make it worth buying.

Thanks,

Russ

I was just thinking. There are other subjects like the bikes, that I would like to see them reissued in parts packs. MPC's '69 and '70 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop kits came with a canoe and roof racks. In the early 60's AMT's Ford pickup trucks came with a go kart. Several MPC kits came with mini bikes and bumper brackets. Man, I loved those extras. I am sure there are others I don't even know about, but would be interested in buying if Round 2 were to offer them in in a simular parts pack packaging.

That would certainly be excellent!!