Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Nomad Custom Delivery

jjsipes

A friend of mine has a used car business that his grandfather started in 1956. He has been very helpful over the years and thought I might try and do a model with his company logo on it for him as a surprise. I decided to start with Revell 1956 Nomad and going to do semi custom delivery wagon out of it. Sanded the side rear windows smooth and glued them in place for a logo to be printed on decal film and placed there. I am looking at Tamiya Light Blue Blue Metallic and Tamiya Pearl White for colors.

Looking for a few ideas as to what to do with trim. Right now of course it has the Bel Air trim but not sure whether to leave it? shave it all off? leave just the curved bottom portion and reshape the front end of side trim? Also been thinking about whether to leave or shave the tailgate? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Very neat idea. 

The side trim really make a two tone look great. If it was on my bench it would stay.

The tailgate trim I have never liked and would be shaving most or all of it off. In your case, a bare tailgate would be another great location for the home made logo decal.

Looking forward to seeing this.

My thoughts on 2-tone was blue body with white from beltline up. But, I just am not sure right now. Another thought depending on trim I decide, paint the body Blue and the "panels" White

Edited by jjsipes

I think the trim on the gold and the two-tone are just what it needs. At first I thought was no trim, but when I saw the red one without trim, I changed my mind. Kind of like I did on my '64 Impala SS years ago. Now I have to replace all the trim if I ever get to the point I have the funds to restore it.

For myself I really like the Maroon/Champagne two-tone. You are going to want a white back ground for your decals so the side window area would be best left white or even a clear window. I think it might be easier to make your two-tone if you leave the Bel Air side trim. You mentioned removing the tail gate trim. I did this last year on a custom Nomad build. You will want to get a cold beverage and several sanding sticks, it will take a while. That would make the Nomad a little more commercial looking with the trim gone. If you're going with a more custom look you might want to remove the V-8 emblems below the tail lights also.   

Was thinking about this last night some while trying to kids to bed and this is what I'm thinking for 2 tone and side trim. A little embarrassed to post this for it being so primitive but oh well.

2_zps7gpilcp0.jpg

I think this would give you the best look.

Made a choice on the trim and set about to shaving some Bel Air trim off the sides and gave a quick coat of Tamiya Primer to see what needs to be cleaned up yet. Used the gray primer so imprefections will show up better but will prime in white before paint it applied.

IMG_0867_zpsvw9kz5q9.jpg

IMG_0869_zps1cctchqc.jpg

Toying around with the idea of deleting the vent windows or not. What do you all think? Not sure about wheels either, any suggestions? I am thinking about baby moons but not sure. Thinking about maybe a 50's or 60's flare to it.

Edited by jjsipes

I'd leave the vent windows alone, unless I was planning on chopping the top.

I'm very bias when it comes to wheels.

I hate most of these huge chrome modern wheels.

My vote would be for some painted steel wheels with a chrome trim ring & maybe a moon hubcap?

& oh yes, a nice set of wide whites! ;)

Steve

Looks great. I have to agree on the painted steel wheels. If not the baby moons then look for a set of the small caps from the 210 kit. Always a good looking cap for Chevys. Paint the wheels body color and the suggestion of trim rings would help set the wheels. Remember just a little lower in front and maybe a staggered tire size.   

Toying around with the idea of a custom grille using a Desoto tooth grille between stock turn signals. Not sure about it though. What do you all think? I have the grille but hate to cut up stock Chevy grille in case I don't like it. Maybe  I'll try to do a mock up tomotrow with out cutting anything yet.

Take a look at this and see what you think:

rr2.jpg

(I shot this while the TV movie Roadracers was being filmed down the street from me back in 1994.)

Thanks for the pic. I went looking for something like this. Not sure if I like it enough to do though. Need to think about some more.

Just don't know.

IMG_0879_zpsaqr1fknl.jpg

IMG_0878_zpsrfzwp12g.jpg

IMG_0877_zps8k63lqy4.jpg

I'm not crazy about it, but that's just me.

Maybe the '49 Merc grille from the AMT kit?

Or I believe the old AMT '57 Chevy kit had a '57 Buick grille.

Something a little less in your face.

I've got a ton of custom grilles from some of the old annual kits.

I should look through a few & see what I have.

Steve