Model Cars Magazine Forum

So nobody has a comment?

Harry P.

BTW, FWIW, ETC. Received my mag in the poly bag and I gotta say, it was pristine! I've never received a magazine that looked like it just came off the bookstore shelf and before the clerk stuffed it into a bag. Certainly different from the usual shredding machine that is my mailman.

The reason I don't subscribe isn't because of cost or because I'm not interested in the content, but because it's a paper-only magazine. I would be far more likely to subscribe to a digital version, even if it's just in simple PDF format. I'm just not big on having to store a bunch of magazines and try to remember which one had that article that I wanted to save for later...it's easier for me to throw it on my file server and archive it in an Access Database. I think a digital copy would be pretty easy to manage from a publishing standpoint, and could be offered at a discounted rate to attract customers who can't afford/aren't willing to pay for a physical subscription, considering there would be very minimal additional cost (if any) in making one, and you wouldn't have to pay postage, printing, etc. I know some, if not most people still prefer paper copies of stuff for a multitude of reasons, but there are also those of us who don't, and that number grows annually as younger generations who grow up using digital text books and reading on a Kindle rather than a paperback age.

And just to head it off before people start saying, "well, if it's digital what's to keep people from giving away copies of it to anyone?" Well, I guess nothing unless you sell it through the Kindle store or something, but what's to keep a paper-subscriber from running a bunch of copies at work and distributing those? Nothing...plus, you have a very small amount of people who'd even do something like that with this type of material since you're dealing with more of a "community" than you do with larger, more "general audience" magazines...mostly anyone who'd be interested in this magazine in the first place is going to want to contribute to its creation.  Maybe an idea for expanding your reader base...

And just to head it off before people start saying, "well, if it's digital what's to keep people from giving away copies of it to anyone?" Well, I guess nothing u

Many years ago NNL East used to do a video every year.  We paid a guy who did car videos professionally to film and produce the film. We had a hard time selling ten copies. People would happily tell us that their club would buy one every year and make copies for the whole club!  They saw nothing wrong with it. We lost a ton of money on this video venture and it put the show into the red. When we quit, we got dozens of complaints!   That's right, the people who were ripping us off actually had the audacity to complain!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...