Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus going, going Gone !!!!!!

I'm going to miss them. Talked with Carol on my last order a couple of weeks ago. I understand her wanting to retire. Hopefully, I can get one more order though them before they close down. They have been one of the best in the business. And as I said, I'm going to miss them.

There was a note on one site (now gone)  that said the purchase of the business would also include the property and buildings, one of which I believe is their home. Has anyone else read or heard this? 

I read it more that it COULD include bldgs and property IF the prospective new owner desired it as such .

I talked to Don the other day because I was curious.  It is such a niche market a price for the business might be hard to figure out.  He did tell me they would sell the five acres of land with the house and barn and whatever was business related.  so, if anyone on this board is relocating to his area you might consider that.  Carol does not like how the home is situated on the property.  It must be a girl thing.  He will even throw in a nice John Deere lawn mower.  He has had some offers but he has no intention of training anyone.  It will just get packed up and stored if the right person does not come along.  Then he wants to do woodworking for fun and carol is going to rest.  He is not just going to sell it to anybody.  If I had lots of money I might be interested.  They have kept the business as a 1:25 scale automotive business but I would break into other scales and subjects.  I certainly would not be able to do it alone though.  I would want someone doing 3D printing.  Someone making decals and maybe awards too.  Someone creating photo etch would be nice as well.  I think a business could be started that could keep a few smart and talented people busy making a decent income.

There might be some mis interpretation here.  The house, barn and property would not be part of the business sale unless you could afford to buy said buildings also.  This is just so you would not have to move or disturb how the business is set up and operated.  It would be less than a hundred feet to work.

• 2 weeks later...

The announcement retirement date was May 2017. So we should still have 1 year left. However they are 5 months behind so when the sight opens back up I suggest getting your orders in.

SHOULD have 1 year left, however if Don and Carol catch up on their orders and don't want to be "under the gun" anymore, don't be surprised if they close the doors. Just sayin.'

SHOULD have 1 year left, however if Don and Carol catch up on their orders and don't want to be "under the gun" anymore, don't be surprised if they close the doors. Just sayin.'

I have thought that any day we will read an updated post saying they are closing now, whenever that may be. I think they misjudged the model collecting public :( As well, I have heard of a few guys who are placing extra large orders adding to the strain of Modelhaus. 

Hopefully they will open up for at least one or two more runs, I wouldn't blame them if they didn't though.  Don't think they anticipated all the frenzy created by all the uninformed speculation on every modeling board on the 'net.  It's almost been akin to someone yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater!!  Even so, I'd like to get at least one more order in, got one just after Don and Carol announced their intention to retire.  

I do hope someone can swing purchasing the business as the Modelhaus  has been a gianormous asset to the model car hobby.   The person(s) who do buy Modelhaus (if anyone does) may have to realize that they may be slow at first due to a whole lot of people going overboard with orders for a year or more prior to a buyer taking over.  However, that might be a good situation especially if no "training" is going to be a part of the sale of the business; things are always negotiable when it comes to selling or buying businesses.  It will certainly be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Everybody has had 30 years to buy why wait until last year

Most of the kits / builders that I personally need parts for,, were just purchased in the past 12 to 24 months . So when said retirement was announced I didn't need 90% of what I need now .

I have a list saved in excel to send once they re-open ( If they do )

Hopefully they will open up for at least one or two more runs, I wouldn't blame them if they didn't though.  Don't think they anticipated all the frenzy created by all the uninformed speculation on every modeling board on the 'net.  It's almost been akin to someone yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater!!  Even so, I'd like to get at least one more order in, got one just after Don and Carol announced their intention to retire.  

I do hope someone can swing purchasing the business as the Modelhaus  has been a gianormous asset to the model car hobby.   The person(s) who do buy Modelhaus (if anyone does) may have to realize that they may be slow at first due to a whole lot of people going overboard with orders for a year or more prior to a buyer taking over.  However, that might be a good situation especially if no "training" is going to be a part of the sale of the business; things are always negotiable when it comes to selling or buying businesses.  It will certainly be interesting to see what the outcome is.

I think they tried to do the right thing but it backfired; situation became worse after announcing retirement

How is the quality of the resin chrome plated parts Modelhaus sells? 

I'm concerned with chrome plating on resin parts in general.  Is it at least as sturdy as on styrene parts?

their chrome is as good if not better than vacuum chromed styrene parts, in fact I would say far better.  I've never had a chromed Modelhaus part I was even tempted to strip the chrome to get a crisper part, their parts are as crisp as they come.  Modelhaus is the benchmark.