Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Talbot-Lago Record Kustom Paint is on!!

Bumblebi

I like this. Unusual subject, unusual customization. Very cool. B)

Thanks, it's indeed quite the unusual subject, but that's how I like them!

I got the interior and engine compartment basically finished, that's the things that have slowed me down in this build, as it don't fall into place so to say... In the end, I had to use epoxyglue to hold it together.

Some pics of the progress... I chose matt Humbrol brown for the interior, and a matt Humbrol black for the engine compartment.

It wasn't the easiest thing to get together, and it took me a few times of trial and error to find the right method... Started with the rear seat and one side of the interior.

After that I fixated the two interior sides with the rear seat between them and the floor plate underneath, epoxy glued it together. Then added the front crosspiece, and finally added the dashboard and the front seats. Turned out really nice and straight!

A few bonus shots of the body with wheels underneath, its looking pretty good now!

Good Work!  I've been thinking about a similar model and have collected some relevant photos.  I could not find any record of a four-seat T26 fastback.  Except for this recent barn find designed by Pierre Saoutchik.  It was done on the longer Record chassis and the other fastbacks were apparently done on the shorter GS chassis.

3 4 rear.jpg

Edited by GerN

Looking very slick.It's starting to look like something from a coach builder's shop from the 1930's or '40's.

Thank you! Yes indeed, part of the later inspiration comes from coachbuilts! It's kind of a mix of kustom, coachbuilt and art deco now!

I like your vision of this,looks great so far.

Thanks, glad to hear you like it!

Cool car and very nice built.

Thank you very much!

Good Work!  I've been thinking about a similar model and have collected some relevant photos.  I could not find any record of a four-seat T26 fastback.  Except for this recent barn find designed by Pierre Saoutchik.  It was done on the longer Record chassis and the other fastbacks were apparently done on the shorter GS chassis.

3 4 rear.jpg

Thanks! Interestng stuff you've found! Thanks for sharing :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Final preparations are being made for paint on the body, there's only some wetsanding of the primer left to do. While waiting for it to completely harden, I decided to test out the paint I'll be using, which is a candyred with goldchrome in the base and transparent, red taillight paint on top. Looks pretty good on the scrap piece I tested on!

Now I've got the paint done at last! I've been working on the body for this car for about a year now, so it was a sigh of relief when it was done and I realised how nice it turned out. 

I started off with a base coat of gold. It turned out ok, i got one small run but it's nothing that will ever be seen when it's finished since it's only on the underside of the front fender so I'm satisfied with it.

And then I sprayed red taillight paint on top of the gold, and it turned out absolutely perfect!

Now I will continue working on the suspension to get it to sit where I want it to, which is as low as humanly possible.. I think I'll have to do some cutting and fabrication work on the frame but that's fine with me!

Till next time!

Beautiful, Johan, I can sense the relief when a paint job turns out, especially as nice as yours did!

Thanks Paul!

Here are a few mock-up pics of the car. Wheels are straight off of the Monogram '56 Ford T-bird and this is the final stance it will have!

Johan, I do have a question since I could not see the back of the interior. Would the interior come all the way back if the lack end of the window had been leveled with the sides when the body work started? I have been picturing that in my mind and think it is maybe just a bit cleaner (my opinion only, not a criticism of your excellent work and taste). Or was there window framing that required the slight rise at the rear of the window? Just curious and since nobody else has raised this question maybe a bit "different" in my taste.

• 1 month later...

Want a cool project. B)

Very classic car meets old school custom rod feeling. I really like it and yes that paint is astounding

stunning :) !

Thank you Scott and Richard!

Johan, I do have a question since I could not see the back of the interior. Would the interior come all the way back if the lack end of the window had been leveled with the sides when the body work started? I have been picturing that in my mind and think it is maybe just a bit cleaner (my opinion only, not a criticism of your excellent work and taste). Or was there window framing that required the slight rise at the rear of the window? Just curious and since nobody else has raised this question maybe a bit "different" in my taste.

Steven, its an interesting thing you've noticed, and one I've been thinking about too.. The simple answer is that the rear window framing was like this originally on this particular roof (which is from the AMT '57 Ford T-bird kit), and I was satisfied with the lines it would give the car as it was! Looking at the photos I've taken of the body, I think it's a bit bulgy over the rear and leveling the back end of the window would have lessened that. It's a lesson learned, and if I ever do something similar I will take stuff like that into account, but considering this is my first project where this much of the body has been altered, I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turned out.

Unfortunately, this won't be finished in time for BUCK, because a lot of small things have gone slightly wrong, several of the chrome pieces aren't fitting as nicely as I would've wanted and I don't want to make something halfa**ed, so I will make new pieces or for some parts modify the original ones to make them fit!