Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sanding blocks

I have arthritis in my thumbs.  Lucky me.  This makes it kind of hard to hold little bits of sand paper during wet sanding of my paint jobs. 

So I cut some good old popsicle sticks down, epoxied "handles" at 90 degrees, sealed them with lacquer and used two-sided carpet tape to secure the sandpaper.

Mark the grit with a sharpie...and have at it.  Makes it a lot easier to hold.

Hope this helps!

Doug

P3180005.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option that works well, although maybe not so much for arthritis sufferers, is to use the Styrofoam trays meat or sometimes produce is packaged in and using rubber contact cement or spray adhesive attach sandpaper to these.  Then using your favorite cutting implement cut it into whatever shape and size you need.  I have found using some cylindrical object, such as a MM paint bottle, helps in rolling the sandpaper into a better contact with the Styrofoam; and they are also flexible.  Just my $.02.

• 1 year later...

Who cares if it's an old thread....  Nice tip and thanks for sharing it...   and yours too..!!

19 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Old thread but good tips! I just made a sanding "sponge" using some 1/4"x1-1/2" self adhesive neoprene gasket. Peel the backing off, stick it to the backside of whatever sandpaper grit you like, and trim the excess paper.

15 hours ago, slusher said:

I have not seen this thread but a tip I can use with my MS..

I pull all the bristles out of a battery-operated tooth brush, then glue a circular piece of sandpaper on the tooth brush head.

I use wet/dry sandpaper of the desired grit and CA cement. To replace the sandpaper, cut it off using a worn Xacto blade; place the head on sandpaper and sand off any irregularities, then glue the new sandpaper on.

After turning it on, the tooth brush does all the sanding work, not your arthritic hands.

Edited by BigTallDad

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

I pull all the bristles out of a battery-operated tooth brush, then glue a circular piece of sandpaper on the tooth brush head.

I use wet/dry sandpaper of the desired grit and CA cement. To replace the sandpaper, cut it off using a worn Xacto blade; place the head on sandpaper and sand off any irregularities, then glue the new sandpaper on.

After turning it on, the tooth brush does all the sanding work, not your arthritic hands.

That's a neat idea..