Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin copies.- Update

Yenkocamaro

Hey Guys, I'm working on a 1/18 Diecast 31 Ford Sedan Drag car, and want to scratch build a wheelie bar setup for it. I've formed one bracket out of plastic, for the rear axle housing, but don't want to make another over and over again:lol: Can anyone recommend a starter mold making kit? Never did any mold making to produce small parts, so I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0762.JPG

Edited by Yenkocamaro

I don't know how much you have used silicone, but Hobby Lobby sells some kits that are fairly good for a beginner. They have one that includes some silicone, casting resin and clay and I think mold release, too. It's a good one to use for small runs. It sells for, I think, about $60, but use the 40% coupon if you get it. I have used this kit once or twice and found the silicone pretty hard when set up, so use caution when casting. Anyway, it might be a good way to try.

Also if you want something smaller, you might look into mold putty. Hobby Lobby sell this as well. It is a two part putty that you knead together and then press on a part to make a mold. It might work if the part is pretty small and only runs around $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks Tom, and Christian. Here are a few pics of where I'm at on the build. Lots of scratchbuilding, and Diecast parts are very hard to come by, not like the old model car days, I had thousands of parts! Still have a ways to go, but will post a pic of the finished model. Hopefully I'll be done before 2017:lol:

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0772.JPG

DSCN0773.JPG

DSCN0774.JPG

Thanks for the support, Guys. Tom, you should have seen my work table, before I cleaned it, and put the tools away:P Seems like every tool you have finds its way out to cause clutter, but if you put it away, I minute later you need it again! :lol:

I'm heading to a model/Diecast show, this Sunday, and they have a project table, so I pulled out my display case to present it there.

Here you can see the Diecast car that I started this project with.

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0821.JPG

DSCN0822.JPG

Edited by Yenkocamaro

Very nice Lance.  Is this the old Motorcity Classics now being made under the Sun Star name?  

Have fun at your show.

Hey Tom, thanks for catching that, You are correct of course, it is a Motor City Classics. Must have had Sunstar on the brain when I wrote that:lol:

Cheers,

Lance 

I see a dealer on ebay advertising the old MCC cars as Sunstar, dated 2016.  I'm out of the loop on the new stuff so wasn't sure. 

Hey Tom, I checked Ebay, and MCC is not even listed anymore under the brands, so I guess they were bought out by Sunstar.

Cheers,

Lance

nice work u did there Lance its look great

Thank you, Thomas.

Cheers,

Lance

Still looking good. I like your setup with the before and after car side by side. 

Thank you Andy.

Cheers,

Lance

Edited by Yenkocamaro

Hey Tom, I checked Ebay, and MMC is not even listed anymore under the brands, so I guess they were bought out by Sunstar.

Lance

Sun star may have been the one making those cars for Motor City to start with.  They have been the manufacture for a few brands a long the way.  

All the MCC Model A's and the 48 Chrysler are on Sun Star's web site. I hope they are doing new colors.  

How did your show go?

Edited by AzTom