Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Mustang Bullitt

MrBuick

What color and brand of paint did you use?  I had a 67 pony which was Moss Green.  That finish looks very close.

Vey cool, is this plastic or die cast?  only asking because of the hood hinges

This one's a Revell die cast kit...I picked it up and the accompanying charger at a garage sale a week or so ago for $3 each and couldn't resist. The body's are pre-decorated, but pretty nicely done, so they make for quick buildups. Slight buffing was needed on the Musting body because it had some light scratches and blemishes, and the engine, chassis, etc is all molded in black, so there was some painting to be done there to make it display better, but not a ton. This was a nice, leisurely build. I still need to do a few things...I need to do a bit more detailing under the hood (battery, radiator, and I'm gonna order a pre-wired dist. and drill out the molded in one and replace it), and the chassis needs a screw hole filled in the fuel tank, but it's going on the shelf for now.

Edited by MrBuick

That's where I was with it...these are the first die cast kits I've done (I didn't even know die cast kits existed...I thought they were all pre-built), but at $6 for the pair I had to snag them (heck, people are trying to get $30 for just the Mustang on eBay). 

Great build. I built both of them (mustang and charger) when they both came out years ago. Great for die cast cars... but then Revell came out with the plastic version of the 68 Mustang... it was basically the die cast made out of plastic... disappointing. Then they came out with the Cobra Jet version... which still has the Bullitt parts in the kit.