Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Corvette Grand Sport (update 8/16/16)

RancheroSteve

Nothing too fancy here - just doing a (mostly) out of the box build of the Accurate Miniatures kit. I will be using the HRM upper control arms and headers.

487 Grand Sport chassis

Yes - I filled the slots on the bottom of the frame:

490 Grand Sport chassis

An enjoyable build so far - more soon.

Edited by RancheroSteve

I'll be tuning in as well! One of my favorite Corvette racers!

I'm curious how Harold's parts will fit this one too......I've got a couple of these as well as his rare resin "roadster" transkit that I won many years ago at NNL East. 

Edited by MrObsessive

Thanks guys.

The upper arms fit just fine and are much more delicate than the kit items. I don't have any good reference photos, so I'm only assuming they're more prototypically accurate. Mine also came with a good set of instructions on how to install them and also how to lower the front ride height. 

I haven't gotten to the headers yet, but they are supposedly a much better fit than the kit parts.

Thanks guys.

The upper arms fit just fine and are much more delicate than the kit items. I don't have any good reference photos, so I'm only assuming they're more prototypically accurate. Mine also came with a good set of instructions on how to install them and also how to lower the front ride height. 

I haven't gotten to the headers yet, but they are supposedly a much better fit than the kit parts.

Can you scan and post the instructions with the a arms please, mine didn't have anything. I'd like to see them. Thanks

David

Good work!  I built the Delmo Johnson (Sebring #3) version.  But I am going to convert it to the Jim Hall/Roger Penske version.  This car actually won a major race (Nassau '64).

For anyone interested in GS Corvettes, I would recommend the book Corvette Grand Sport by Lowell Paddock and Dave Friedman. 

Good work!  I built the Delmo Johnson (Sebring #3) version.  But I am going to convert it to the Jim Hall/Roger Penske version.  This car actually won a major race (Nassau '64).

For anyone interested in GS Corvettes, I would recommend the book Corvette Grand Sport by Lowell Paddock and Dave Friedman. 

Great reference source, I have a copy in my library.

51GXDPE5GAL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Looks like it's out of print and going for more dollars than I have laying around. Wish I had a copy, but I can't complain - I've got a pretty good auto reference library. Can't have it all!

Yea I pounced on it when it first came out. Unfortunately a lot of these books go that route, the specialty book re-sellers stockpile copies and as soon as they go out of print they jack-up the price.

• 5 weeks later...