Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Corvette Grand Sport (update 8/16/16)

RancheroSteve

A little late now, but an FYI to future builders, the Chevrolet small block unlike the big block doesn't use a water bypass hose from the pump to the intake, and the one in the Grand Sport is no different than the production engines, their are some waterpumps with a provision for a fitting in the top of the water pump, but it's used as a heater hose fitting for some engines that didn't have room for one in the intake manifold, we did use it to run water from the rear of the intake manifold on some race cars to help the circulation of water in the heads and get rid of the steam pockets that some heads had problems with at the center cylinders.

I based this information on photos of the Grand Sport serial number 004, if you want some very good pictures of the engine in this car, it's at the Revs Institute - Collier Collection web page. Just search for 1963 Corvette Grand Sport engine photos.

Edited by horsepower

Thanks for the info - I'm always willing to stand corrected. The Revs Institute looks like a great resource!

I have to admit I'm not too knowledgeable about some of these fine points, outside of small block Fords. I was basing my engine details off photos I found online - including this one - that seems to show a bypass hose:

http://www.speednik.com/files/2014/06/377.jpg

BEAUTIFUL shade of blue on that Steve! I see you're using Tamiya's Paint Stand-----aren't those neat?

Thanks, Bill.

Yes, the Tamiya paint stand is great - beats the homemade coat hanger stands I used to use. The only thing I need to remember is not to turn it upside down - the top part isn't attached to the base.

Thanks, Bill.

Yes, the Tamiya paint stand is great - beats the homemade coat hanger stands I used to use. The only thing I need to remember is not to turn it upside down - the top part isn't attached to the base.

BEAUTIFUL shade of blue on that Steve! I see you're using Tamiya's Paint Stand-----aren't those neat?

What he said. Love the colour. Will really pop once cleared. As for you Tamiya paint stand, take some CA glue and glue the two halves together. I had the same issue with mine, always coming apart when I was trying to prime/paint the inside or bottom of a body. Now, doesnt happen any more and it still spins properly. 

Looking forward to see more progress on this build.

David

As for you Tamiya paint stand, take some CA glue and glue the two halves together. I had the same issue with mine, always coming apart when I was trying to prime/paint the inside or bottom of a body. Now, doesnt happen any more and it still spins properly. 

Excellent idea, thanks! I never thought of that, duh.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty tricky, but I got those little brass hood louvers painted and put together:

828 hood louvers

The instructions recommend white glue, but I found they were a press fit once they've got a couple of coats of paint on them. Very cool that something like this would be included in a (mostly) plastic kit, but definitely not for the beginning builder. 

Now to get them installed in the hood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've built 3 of these and loved each one.  Would love to have one of each and was highly disappoiinted that AM never got around to the roadster version as well.  I did build one of those for a slot car and Eagle's Race did it in 1/43 diecast. The white over blue car from AM, the blue with white nose, and a Delmo car with VRM decals before the Revell reissuie.  The headers and control arms weren't available so had to do the best I could.  I have the book as well.  My all time favorite race car, especially with all the mystery that surrounded it.  To anyone going to build these, the racingicons site is invaluable.  

Here's a link to a few pictures of mine  http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rcarlisle/library/gs vettes - one of the pics shows some vents on the rear window of the Delmo car.  Don't remember where I found the shapes or if I made them.  But those cars, like so many other handmade race cars of the era, had details that changed from race to race and day to day.   Good reference is crucial and now, it is easy to find with the internet, seems like.  No excuses...lol

Nice work on this build.  Will keep following.  

• Like 1

I've built 3 of these and loved each one.  Would love to have one of each and was highly disappoiinted that AM never got around to the roadster version as well.  I did build one of those for a slot car and Eagle's Race did it in 1/43 diecast. The white over blue car from AM, the blue with white nose, and a Delmo car with VRM decals before the Revell reissuie.  The headers and control arms weren't available so had to do the best I could.  I have the book as well.  My all time favorite race car, especially with all the mystery that surrounded it.  To anyone going to build these, the racingicons site is invaluable.  

Here's a link to a few pictures of mine  http://s30.photobucket.com/user/rcarlisle/library/gs vettes - one of the pics shows some vents on the rear window of the Delmo car.  Don't remember where I found the shapes or if I made them.  But those cars, like so many other handmade race cars of the era, had details that changed from race to race and day to day.   Good reference is crucial and now, it is easy to find with the internet, seems like.  No excuses...lol

Nice work on this build.  Will keep following.  

HRM offers a Roadster conversion for the AM kit.

Image result for hrm grand sport roadster

Edited by afx

HRM offers a Roadster conversion for the AM kit.

Image result for hrm grand sport roadster

Sweet!  And a little rich for my current budgetary status... lol  plus have to buy another GS base kit, etc.  Just making excuses.  I'm good - I have the little diecast and 1/32 slotcar.  

Really like how you did the louvers. I will be doing the same thing on my Gulf Version.

Thanks, Bruce. I used decals - rather than white paint - on the louvers. Still not sure if that was the right way to go or not - it had its advantages & disadvantages.

Cool idea going with the Gulf colors on the Corvette!

Meanwhile, I got the body, interior and chassis together over the weekend and have started adding the final touches. Should be done sometime this week!