Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #199 FINISHED

Hi everybody,

I made a couple of suggestions to otherunicorn and he invited me to have a go, so here I am. Sorry it is so late, but I'm sure it's still Sunday somewhere!

Lets see what you make of this one:

Auto%20ID%20199%20PS_zpst3g4diau.jpg

Usual terms and conditions apply, send your answers to me, no using image search etc, all will be revealed on Friday.

Its a 1974 Neorion Chicago

Good luck and best wishes,

Dave

Edited by dw1603
reveal

This one was a toughie wasn't it?

Those who got it right were:

GT JUNIOR

Badluck 13

bobthehobbyguy

Well done all of you. As an experiment, I tried searching for it without using any insider knowledge and all I got was a headache. 

Thanks to everyone who gave it a go,

Dave

It took me quite a while. A google search using bizzare red ford fairmont found it. Also tried wierd and ugly without luck. Saw that there was a blue one also.. looked like the offspring of a semi truck and car.

That's amazing. How did you come up with "bizarre red ford fairmont" and how on earth did it produce a result? Wonderful thing, Google.

Well I could see that the base car was a Ford Fairmont. I used red to help with the search, Then  I tried a bunch of adjectives to see if  I could find it. As far as google finding it my guess is that someone had tagged the picture with bizarre. I use the information that  I see to get a search that will find whatever the subject is,

I originally tried 30's inspired motor cars. Came up empty. Then tried excalibur cars, again nothing. Eventually tried Unknown European motorcar manufacturers and bingo found an image of a red one with a very 70's looking couple standing behind it. That image gave me a name and Wikipedia gave me the rest.

bobthehobbyguy (Bob Taber) was kind enough to PM me his search terms after I'd given up after a few minutes. His search keywords pulled up the image on the first page of hits, and I'm definitely impressed. It NEVER occurred to me to enter anything containing "Fairmont", 'cause the thing looked to me kinda like a Fairmont, but not actually a Fairmont.

Nice job, Bob. 

Nice job too to GTJUNIOR. His search terms pulled up this image Image result for Unknown European motorcar manufacturersabout 1/3 of the way down the page.

This is a pretty good illustration of how smart Google is, too. It understands the search-term strings well enough to pull these images out of probably billions. Not too shabby.