Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Build Of A Funny Car The Mongoose 57 Chevy Update 5/19

Metalmad

IMG_2021.thumb.jpg.8524113456502928856b5IMG_2015.thumb.jpg.a609a9bbd604d8661ed96IMG_2027.thumb.jpg.00bb9912baf46bc5fb041IMG_2028.thumb.jpg.106aefc060e77a2dbb93eStarted a new build of the Mongoose's 1957 Chevy Funny Car which this will be my first atempt at building a Funny Car and I had started this build while I was finishing up the 67 Shelby. I already opened up the roof hatch and hinged it and I have already built two mag style distributors which on the kit they are molded with the right side valve cover. I also started scratch building the under body support system that most kits do not come with and I have also added small fender flares to the front wheel wells that are on the actual car so thats all for now.

Edited by Metalmad

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the MSD Pro Mag 44 magnetos weren't available the time this car was built and ran back in 1988-89,  the MSD Pro Mag 44 became popular almost 10 years later in 1996-97 and are still used today for alcohol and nitro engines, back in the late 80's early 90's  they used smaller Mallory Super Mags, so if you want the car to be correct for the time period those are the mags to use.
I have seen the car in person as it sits at the Danchuk shop in Santa Ana, California.

But I will follow your build and nice work so far.

Edited by Force

I have a little update on the build.

I started scratch building the body bracing which will be very tedious and delicate work on my part but it will be rewarding as long as I take my time building the bracing and I also have decided on the wheel and tire combo.IMG_2029.thumb.jpg.928bb1ec8b02d4a91bf3cIMG_2030.thumb.jpg.22b51ef5fbbbc297437b8

Edited by Metalmad

Was able to get a little more done  last night on the scratch built bracing which is I have added bracing in the corners of the bracing frame and on the center braces. Next will to be scratch build the plates where the bracing will attach to the body.

By the way Happy Easter to everyone !IMG_2038.thumb.jpg.0c326f0ec95d6b78ff5f6

Edited by Metalmad

Got a little bench time in this evening to attach the rest of the scratch built brace plates to the bracing arms so now I will let the glue cure for a day or two then I will start cleaning up the bracing then I will need to decide on what color to spray on it which I'm thinking stainless steel.IMG_2040.thumb.jpg.441f39f004583b7cd2ab4

Cleaned up the bracing last night and then shot some primer on it this morning so I will see how it looks after the primer drys to make sure it is nice and smooth then I might shoot it with some Testers Stainless Steel since I don't really know what the bracing is actually made of on a 1: 1 Funny Car. Will have pictures after it is painted.

Today I also wanted to paint the center of the front and rear wheels so I attempted the removal of them.The fronts where the easiest but the rears I was a little a skeptical about on removing them but hey came out without a hitch. I primered them first then shot them with silver then gold so now I will wait until the paint cures then I will shoot them with some clear.

I have finished the under body bracing plus I have painted it stainless steel, the center of the wheels are painted and installed back into the wheels also, the rear brake caliper mounts are ready to be installed with the brake rotors  , I have drilled the caliper half's for the hard lines so next will be to paint them then install to the caliper mounts. I also have the rear end mocked up for fitment which it took a little modifying to get the So Real Tires to fit under the body and it's a little tight but looks good to me so next will  be to mock up the rear brake line and to scratch build the brake line fittings. If anyone has any reference photos of the brake system or where to look for the brake system online it would be greatly appreciated since I have not been able to locate any.

Thank You For FollowingIMG_2051.thumb.jpg.97e6b452496fe03c432f3IMG_2052.thumb.jpg.278c711fc94e2aa317d24

Edited by Metalmad