Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canadian rock and roll bands

Harry P.

Sorry Tom... but I have never liked "These Eyes." There are a whole lot of Guess Who songs I do like... like No Time (like it a lot), American Woman, Share the Land, No Sugar Tonight, Undun... etc. But "These Eyes" ain't one of 'em! In fact, I find Burton Cummings very annoying, actually, but I put up with him because some of the songs are just that good. But not "These Eyes."

Oh well.... I found the Guess Who with the American Woman album when I was probably 12.  Then their Wheatfield Soul album came out and I really got into it.   How about "Friends of Mine"???

You have your timeline confused. "Wheatfield Soul" was the album before "Canned Wheat" (which included my favorite GW song, Laughing), which was the album before "American Woman," which was their big US breakout hit album in 1970.

Randy Bachman left Guess Who in 1971, at the height of their success (go figure!).... hooked up with bassist Fred Turner, and formed a new Canadian band, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (the "Overdrive" part coming from the trucking magazine "Overdrive"). BTO went on to be as successful, if not more so, than Guess Who. One of the great trucking songs of all time, with Fred Turner on vocals...

You have your timeline confused. "Wheatfield Soul" was the album before "Canned Wheat" (which included my favorite GW song, Laughing), which was the album before "American Woman," which was their big US breakout hit album in 1970.

Interesting.... as you mess with my rather fragile grip on reality!   :blink:   I had assumed that Wheatfield Soul was the follow up to American Woman since I discovered them in that order.  Here's what I found as a list of Who albums. I had no idea that they started that early, nor that they recorded this long!  I got a lot of albums to buy!

Shakin' All Over 1965

Hey Ho!  (What You Do To Me) 1965

It's Time 1966

Wheatfield Soul  March 1969

Canned Wheat   Sept 1969

American Woman   March 1970

Share Land  Oct 1970

So Long, Bannatyne  July 1971

Rockin'  Feb 1972

Wild One  1972

Live at the Paramount  (live) Aug 1972

Artificial Paradise    Jan 1973

Guess Who's Back  April 2002

#10  June 1973

Road Food   April 1974

Flavours  Oct 1974

Power in the Music   July 1975

The Greatest of the Guess Who (live)  1977

Guess Who's Back   1979

All This For a Song  1979

Now and Not Then  1981

Liberty 1995

The Ultimate Collection Jan 1977

Running Back Through Canada (live)  Dec 2000

This TIme Long Ago (compilation) 2001

The Essential Guess Who  (compilation) Oct 2010 

(and a few more live albums)

Randy Bachman left Guess Who in 1971, at the height of their success (go figure!).... hooked up with bassist Fred Turner, and formed a new Canadian band, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (the "Overdrive" part coming from the trucking magazine "Overdrive"). BTO went on to be as successful, if not more so, than Guess Who. One of the great trucking songs of all time, with Fred Turner on vocals...

Before there was BTO, Randy and Fred formed Brave Belt and put out one album under that name before becoming BTO.

Several bands in your list I've never heard of. I guess they didn't (or don't) get much airplay here in the States.

I lived in Germany from 1969-73 so I had different influences.  There were US bands that were successful in Europe but not back in the USA. It is also possible that albums were released in different order than US. We also lived through German language versions of popular songs (you haven't lived until you've heard The Partridge Family in German!).  I got back to the states in 1973 and was amazed that nobody had heard of Bloodrock. I had all their albums! Big in Germany, not so here!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yes, "culture shock" for sure! :D

A great example is ABBA. They were huge in Europe, even big in Australia. But they never really made it big here in the States. I think "Dancing Queen" was their one and only US #1, yet they sold a bazilion albums worldwide. In fact I'm pretty sure they are among the very top 2-3-4 best selling bands ever as far as millions of records sold. Just never quite made "super stardom" here.

I see the pic. But I assumed it was a link to a video?

No, sorry. it's just a pic of my copy of the album. Thought you'd get a kick out of seeing it. The record's mint and still has the original jacket inside. :D

I have a very small collection of vinyl but still have most of the cassettes I bought in my youth.