Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebay dreamers

I wish more old kits would get issued enough to put that clown PJ Toys out of business on ebay 

x3. When I rummage through just the "Parts" category, I am probably doing other sellers a disservice by quickly dragging the slider down past his seemingly endless pile of 24.99 prices, when one or two reasonably priced listing are in among that pile. But from the looks of his feedback page, he actually sells that stuff. What are those buyers thinking??? I snagged a complete vintage Revell Chevy Luv kit for $3 less than what he wanted for just the stepside bed.

x3. When I rummage through just the "Parts" category, I am probably doing other sellers a disservice by quickly dragging the slider down past his seemingly endless pile of 24.99 prices, when one or two reasonably priced listing are in among that pile. But from the looks of his feedback page, he actually sells that stuff. What are those buyers thinking??? I snagged a complete vintage Revell Chevy Luv kit for $3 less than what he wanted for just the stepside bed.

I looked at his feedback and some body paid 14.99 for a Lil Red Express hood plus 5 bucks shipping. A whole kit is around that much. 

Many dealers/vendors would like you to believe that their item is the only one like it, anywhere, that we should feel privileged that they would be willing to sell it to us for whatever amount they are asking.

Indeed! 

Moreover, it seems to become more and more common to buy a new kit for 25,00 $, cannibalize it and try to sell the parts/trees for all together 150,00 upwards...

for example: grill 9,99, headlights 7,99, cab 14,99, hood 12,99, engine 16,99, sleeper14,99, exhaust pipes 12,99, mudflaps 8,99 and so on... I saw things like that more and more frequently on ebay USA.

Crazy, isn't it?

Indeed! 

Moreover, it seems to become more and more common to buy a new kit for 25,00 $, cannibalize it and try to sell the parts/trees for all together 150,00 upwards...

for example: grill 9,99, headlights 7,99, cab 14,99, hood 12,99, engine 16,99, sleeper14,99, exhaust pipes 12,99, mudflaps 8,99 and so on... I saw things like that more and more frequently on ebay USA.

Crazy, isn't it?

Yes it is, unfortunately there are no regulations regarding how much they can ask for their items. That is why ebay has all but destroyed good old-fashioned swap meets, because the ones that actually set up at them have the same items arranged in the same way at every meet for some times years on end, on ebay they don't actually have to offer their items at a more reasonable price, they just let it go around in a continuous loop until they find a sucker!

...ebay has all but destroyed good old-fashioned swap meets... they just let it go around in a continuous loop until they find a sucker!

I knida have to disagree. My experience may not be typical, but this is what I've found over the past 7 years.

I routinely find what I want on ebay for good prices, shipped to my door, no BS...because I refuse to pay stupid money and I shop around...NEVER getting caught up in "OMG this is the last one in the universe" hysterical bidding.

When the NNL event comes to town, or when there are local swap meets, I STILL find great deals on stuff that would probably bring stupid money on ebay.

Swap meet venues always have their share of sellers offering kits for twice or three times what they're going for in the non-dream-world, and other people who love the hobby and would rather see a builder get something really cool for $50 than lug it around for years with a $200 sticker on it. Just like ebay.

The only thing I find really unfortunate about the pig-greedy sellers like PJ Toys is that, with their thousands of listings over and over and over, they're using up server space, essentially for free, but in effect making the whole ebay operation cost more to support their stupid greed.

In the final analysis, nobody HAS to buy anything from ANYBODY. If there were more informed buyers (who took a little time to learn something about what stuff is really WORTH), the pig-greedy kit-breakers asking way too much for parts would soon be gone.

I knida have to disagree. My experience may not be typical, but this is what I've found over the past 7 years.

I routinely find what I want on ebay for good prices, shipped to my door, no BS...because I refuse to pay stupid money and I shop around...NEVER getting caught up in "OMG this is the last one in the universe" hysterical bidding.

When the NNL event comes to town, or when there are local swap meets, I STILL find great deals on stuff that would probably bring stupid money on ebay.

Swap meet venues always have their share of sellers offering kits for twice or three times what they're going for in the non-dream-world, and other people who love the hobby and would rather see a builder get something really cool for $50 than lug it around for years with a $200 sticker on it. Just like ebay.

The only thing I find really unfortunate about the pig-greedy sellers like PJ Toys is that, with their thousands of listings over and over and over, they're using up server space, essentially for free, but in effect making the whole ebay operation cost more to support their stupid greed.

In the final analysis, nobody HAS to buy anything from ANYBODY. If there were more informed buyers (who took a little time to learn something about what stuff is really WORTH), the pig-greedy kit-breakers asking way too much for parts would soon be gone.

I partially agree with your analysis, Bill, (which are always quite well informed) because I always decide what I am willing to pay, i.e. what is it "worth" to me, for an item before I go looking for it. Yes, I too, try to learn what other items like it may be going for as opposed to what I am willing to pay, sometimes I decide that the figures are just too far apart, and I decide against a purchase. Unfortunately, in my experience, those pig-greedy sellers and vendors just never seem to go away, in fact, often result in others raising their asking prices for equivalent items.

... in my experience, those pig-greedy sellers and vendors just never seem to go away, in fact, often result in others raising their asking prices for equivalent items.

That's very true. I've seen more than a few copycat kit breakers trying the same carp.

And then along comes somebody selling a group of five kits for less than ol' Mr. Piggy wants for ONE PART, one of them happens to have the exact part or parts I need, and the rest are a bonus.

But patience is a large part of the equation. Piggy Jerk Toys had something up the other day I almost seriously considered buying. Nah. I can wait. :D

I wish you could leave feedback on sellers on Ebay even if you did not something.  Here's an example.

Are you out of your FREAKING mind trying to rip people off?  SHAME on you and FIVE negative stars.

I would be fine if Ebay charged a small fee (say 50 cents) for a listing whether you sell something or not.

I have sold some old gluebombs and vintage incomplete kits but start the auction at $10 or $15 and have never had a problem selling them for sometimes double the initial asking price.

Hi!!  I learn to research first and then paid for a reasonable price to buy a  model truck that I wanted. I just pass the $100 barrier just 2 times!! 1. for the autocar dump truck and the seller gave me another one built  for free!! and  2. 5 amt trailers . The only truck that I bought bill was a International transtar II and the price was around $ 52. I saw some  Overprice kits on ebay and that is unbelievable how crazy are the prices cost. 

Regarding PJ Toys... you guys are just jealous you didn't think of it first!   :P   Seriously, the guy found an angle and he's selling stuff to happy buyers.  I don't begrudge him a living.  He probably has an hour into every item between finding the item, taking the photos all the way through packing and shipping it.  He has that $25 in labor into every sale. 

I have been following this topic for a while now and am now adding my two cents worth. I have been both a buyer and a seller on E-bay , I mainly sell now because at my age I know I will never build all the truck models I have and E-bay is a good way for me to reduce the stash . I agree that some items I see listed are high but no one forces anybody to buy, I have had some items sell quickly and others not at all . Let me tell you what  goes into selling an item(FOR ME) , first you have to decide what to sell , then I check on E-bay to  see if there is one selling, and for what price , Next you have to find a box , next you take pictures of item, then you weigh item and box, write a detailed description, load pictures into computer, find your category, type your info and any other info to help the buyer get the most complete info he can before he decides to bid, Now if you are lucky enough to sell your item  you pack it best you can (without adding to much weight) By now I have spent about an hour , then I  wait to get paid and then drive to the post office (15 minute ride) hand it to the clerk and hope it gets to where its going in a reasonable amount of time. I do all this for an average of $50 to $60 ) then E-bay takes its percentage and their charge for listing the item!!! . Am  I making a great deal of money ? I think not , but I am glad that someone else may build a model that I know I will never get to and I get some satisfaction in that. So when some of you guys think a price on an item is to high think again of what goes into selling an  item you see on E-bay. Waterburybob

Sam, there is a 3500 Chevrolet model hood for $9,999.00 plus $4.99 shipping OR Best Offer from that seller that has been mentioned several times here to go with your KW.

Maybe the KW price is just a misprint, but the hood is not.

Waterburybob on the other hand is a top notch seller and has some awesome stuff. I just received my purchase from him today.

Many dealers/vendors would like you to believe that their item is the only one like it, anywhere, that we should feel privileged that they would be willing to sell it to us for whatever amount they are asking.

Indeed! 

Crazy, isn't it?

I bought a couple parts from PJ toys a few years ago but it seems like the prices have went up a bit since then,I tried to buy a hood I really needed a couple months ago but could not complete the transaction because I was not set up for instant credit card purchases so I do not even look there now. I have a local hobby shop that sells parts and parts kits so I go there now and not ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

People toss around the term "Pro Built" anyone can say that. ..doesn't mean anything.you have to know tge builders rep.there is to many sharks out there on ebay..you have to be careful on ebay these days buying....Chris

People toss around the term "Pro Built" anyone can say that. ..doesn't mean anything.you have to know tge builders rep.there is to many sharks out there on ebay..you have to be careful on ebay these days buying....Chris

Agreed!  And photos can make models look better. 

Same goes for advise on message boards!  You never know the expertise level of the person responding and giving advise.  Are they a glue bomber? Are they someone who hasn't finished a kit in 20 years?   I've seen (and challenged) some awful advise that would have led to catastrophic results! 

Agreed!  And photos can make models look better. 

Same goes for advise on message boards!  You never know the expertise level of the person responding and giving advise.  Are they a glue bomber? Are they someone who hasn't finished a kit in 20 years?   I've seen (and challenged) some awful advise that would have led to catastrophic results! 

Haven't finished a kit in 20 years? I have a friend who hasn't finished a model kit in 'bout 48 years. Yet he still buys kits and occasionally works on them.

• 8 months later...