Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your advice needed for this OMNI project

Hello Experts, amateurs, novices and you!

I need help and guidance for my next build. The finished car will be a Pro-Stock 1980 Dodge Omni like the one pictured below. I know that I will need at least 2 models to complete it correctly. The stock Omni 1979 1/25 scale should suffice as the sidewinder model has fender flares and some ungodly looking front lower valance. The second model is where I need some guidance as it will be used to marry the body on that frame. I have looked at a few pro-stock model kits, but haven't found the right one that would fit the easiest without paying through the nose for a Landry model. As you know, the wheel wells of the pro-stock kit need to match the body of the stock Omni, length and width wise without too much customizing. If anyone knows those measurements or knows of a pro-stock model, that would be great. Also, is a 1/25 scale close enough to a 1/24 scale?

My plan is to build the pro-stock without the body and then get the Omni body on there as close as possible. It is a personal build and not for show. Below are some of the parts that I will need to make it close to correct and "hopefully" come in a pro-stock kit already.

Engine: Dodge Hemi 426/500+ HP with tunnel ram and dual 1350 Dominator carbs. Dual plug and dual distributor

Wheels and tires: Centerline (or alike) Goodyear or Firestone racing slicks with skinnies up front

I truly appreciate anyone's help on this project.

dodgeomni4.jpg

dodgeomni.jpg

dodgeomni2.jpg

dodgeomni3.jpg

I did the same thing with a charger that looks just like it and I used the chassis from the firefighter mustang II it was perfect for the wheelbase.

vince

Wish i had thought of that before i did a  back half on mine. I just checked mine, and it does fit perfect.

Thanx for the info on the Mustang II, I will look into it. I was hoping to find a Mopar Pro-Stock with the right wheelbase and the Hemi. Hope I am not dreaming too big. I want to avoid buying 3 cars or 2 cars plus an engine somewhere else. I am not in a big hurry, so I have time to keep searching for the ideal purchase. The stock Omni is plentiful, so I can get that anytime.

Building a car like this without using several kits is not that easy as you almost never find all the things you need in only one kit
Dual plug Pro Stock Hemi's don't grow on trees but you can find the exact engine you need in the old JoHan 1971 Sox &Martin Plymouth 'Cuda Pro Stock kit, it's a 426 Hemi with dual plug heads, dual distributors, tunnel ram and dual Holley 4500 Dominator's.
This kit has been reissued several times in different boxes and are not that hard to find.

Sox-Martin-Boss-Cuda-Plymouth-Drag-JOHAN-1-25-Model-Car-Kit-SEALED-GC-1800

This is the same kit in another box.

Jo-Han-Pro-Street-Cuda-1-25

Testors also did the same kit..

s-l1600.jpg

Ross Gibson also had a dual plug Pro Stock Hemi in resin (RGE 202) but as he passed away a while ago his engines are getting hard to find these days.

The wheels looks to be Cragar Super Trick's wich are similar to Centerline's Auto Drag but were more often polished, the Cragar's has a convex center whilst the Centerline's have more of a flat or concave center.
The best looking Cragar style front wheels I have seen so far in the ones in the Old Monogram 66 Chevelle Malibu SS, and the rear wheels are not that bad either, the problem might be finding tires that fit these rims.

Monogram-66-Malibu-SS-1-24-Scale-Model-Kit-2219-ME24

Some of the old MPC Funny Car kits has good looking Cragar Super Trick rear wheels, the front's are not that good but if you are not picky they will work too.
You can find the wheels in these and a couple more MPC kits.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Force

As Force stated you will probably have to source parts from various kits. I built this Super Gas type car several years ago (its similar to the Omni) and I used a modified Revell Pro Sportsman chassis (shortened and narrowed) with a scratchbuilt cage. There are many ways to go at this build and I hope you find the route that is easiest for you.470.thumb.JPG.606bf7013c00901648485b7170473.thumb.JPG.798b958ed44365a0d7f99709ab

Awesome responses! Thanx for taking the time to give me detailed info. I realize 2 kits are needed, but that particular engine is necessary, so I may end up buying 3 as I haven't yet seen the engine by itself. Love to run across a completed engine, but that may be a tall order. I ordered the stock Omni today, so I am commited! LOL

Here is a couple of pictures of the engine in my JoHan Sox & Martin 'Cuda built around 1995 or so, I think it would be "what the doctor ordered" for your build.. 

DSC06085small.jpg

DSC06081small.jpg
The only downside is the axle hole through the engine block, but that's an easy fix, and the engine has a regular New Process A 833 4 speed transmission so if the car you want to build has Lenco transmissions you have to source them from somewhere too, but they are available from the eftermarket if you don't have any.

Edited by Force

So to clarify. That Sox & Martin Cuda kit comes with that Dual Plug Hemi, tunnel ram and dominators that you have pictured? Except for the wiring of course, which looks awesome by the way. Thanx

Yes everything you see except for the wiring and detailing.
Thanks!
I bought several of this kit as it's great base to do
other 70's Mopar Pro Stock cars, the Dana 60 in that kit isn't bad either with a separate plated back cover, nice Keystone Classic wheels and nice slicks and front runners wich are two sided, Firestone on one side and Good Year on the other, the rear slicks are too small and the fronts are too large for what you are doing tho'.

Edited by Force

That's great to see guys jump in and help you out with your project, I would offer some advice but I can't get passed that picture. Is that Ralph Machio about to heat up a cylinder head with a cutting torch!? I'm not sure if this is an advertisement for a racing team or the cover of a Night Ranger album. 

All kidding aside, this will be a cool build to watch, I love 80's prostock.

That's great to see guys jump in and help you out with your project, I would offer some advice but I can't get passed that picture. Is that Ralph Machio about to heat up a cylinder head with a cutting torch!? I'm not sure if this is an advertisement for a racing team or the cover of a Night Ranger album. 

All kidding aside, this will be a cool build to watch, I love 80's prostock.

LOL. That pic is supposed to be funny as it is an actual album cover from Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush entitled "What's Next", meaning what else can go wrong! It was Frank's personal racecar without sponsorship that was raced up in the North East in the early 80's, mostly at Englishtown Raceway Park in New Jersey. Ralph Macchio is actually Jimmy Ayoub, the drummer for the band. No offense taken.

I received the stock Omni in the mail today!

I was hoping I wasn't going too far with my silliness. I youtube'd them in an attempt to educate myself, I completely missed the ball on these guys, they are a pretty cool band. I would go so far as to say they are the 2nd greatest band to ever come out of Canada that has Rush in their name.  Seriously, that guy shreds on guitar. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That looks awesome caine440! Any more pics? I am stuffing a big dual-plug hemi in mine, like the actual car. I had to bow the body out a little in the rear to fit those meats that came with the Mustang. Below is a working mock for stance. It's coming along. Thanx for your post!

omnimock4.png