Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Over Alclad?

9 hours ago, peteski said:

If you don't  believe me, try applying MLQ over a coat of (semi-gloss) primer, and over glossy paint and see the difference in the chrome effect.  The dark colored undercoat is desired (especially for Alclad) because there are some microscopic gaps between some of the metal flakes.  If the the undercoat is not black its color will show slightly through those tiny gaps, lessening the chrome-effect.  But if the undercoat is black, the light which gets throught those tiny gaps between metallic flakes will be absorbed (black paint absorbs light), not affecting the chrome-effect

Thanks for these much more scientifically founded statements. In fact, I have not yet used MLQ over a black base so far because results have been great without that, but I will surely do some comparative testing. 

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Getting back to the subject of this thread, applying a clear coat (especially solvent-based) will soften the Alclad's and MLQ's vehicle and disturb the alignment of all those flat metallic particles which make that continuous "mirror", destroying the chrome effect.  Water-based clear (like Future) will not disturb the particles much, but it will still (possibly due to changing optical properties of the metallic flakes) slightly degrade the chrome-effect.

I guess for the same reasons they (Alclad) recommend to use a black Enamel base coat? 

On 12/6/2018 at 6:39 AM, Tommy124 said:

Thanks for these much more scientifically founded statements. In fact, I have not yet used MLQ over a black base so far because results have been great without that, but I will surely do some comparative testing. 

I guess for the same reasons they (Alclad) recommend to use a black Enamel base coat? 

Yes, the smoother (glossier) and darker the undercoat is, the more chrome-like will the Alcad and MLQ look like.  Since like I said, the MLQ seems to contain a thicker clear lacquer, it is not as dependent as Alclad on the glossy undercoat.But both Alclad and MLQ rely on the metallic flakes lining up on the surface of the paint to achieve that mirror-like finish.