Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Flathead recommendation?

I don't know how your kit availability is over there, but the Revell '48 Ford woody has a nice stock engine and can be had for less than a resin engine alone over here. The Revell '48 Ford convertible also has the stock engine plus period speed parts (finned heads, etc.) and can be found quite cheaply too.

Thanks Bill for quick reply.

As regards availability, if I could find the convertible (and that's a big if in itself) then it would be between £25-£30 ($35-$40) without postage...

Car kit availability in the UK is pretty poor, certainly for rods/customs/etc. Plenty of sports cars, F1, etc but not much else. 

That is one of the reasons l was asking about aftermarket. The other is I don't want piles of boxes of incomplete kits. I intend each project to be an individual, discrete, one-offs with nothing left over if l can help it.

Cheers

steve

Sometimes an aftermarket resin engine costs nearly as much as a complete styrene model kit and then you only get the engine instead of a whole kit.

It depends on what type of flathead you want, first of all there were both I4, I6, V8 and V12 flatheads by different makes but I suspect you want a Ford V8.
There are four different Ford flathead V8's to choose from.
The first was the 1932-38 85hp 221 cui 21 stud head engine.
Second was the smaller 1937-40 136 cui 60hp 17stud engine.
Third was the 1938-48 221-239 cui 85-100hp 24 stud head engine wich often go by the name 59AB.
And the last in line was the 1949-53 239-255 cui 100-125hp 24 bolt head engine called 8BA (8CM for Mercury) and later EAB for Ford and EAC for mercury but the 8BA is the commonly used name for them.
There are quite some differences between these different engines and you can read about them here
 http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specifications.htm

The 32-38 21 stud can be found in the AMT 1932, 1933, 1934 and 1936 Ford's, the Revell/Monogram 36 Ford and 37 Ford pickup kits, the one in the latest tooling AMT 34 is the best.
The 37-40 17 stud 60hp can be found in the Revell Midget car kit.
The 38-48 24 stud 59AB can be found the AMT 39 and 40 Ford, the Revell 32 Tudor Sedan, 40 Ford, 40 Ford pickup and 48 Ford kits, this engine is often used in Hot Rods.
The 49-53 24 bolt 8BA can be found in the AMT 49 and 50 Ford, AMT 49 Mercury, AMT 53 Ford F100, Revell 50 Ford F1 (the heads in the Revell kits are the right style but only has 21 bolts) and Lindberg 53 Ford kits, also a very common use in Hot Rods as it was the most powerful of them all, and the bell housing was a separate part so it was easier to mate with different transmissions.

I don't have a current catalog from Replicas & Miniatures Co of Maryland so I don't exactly know what he has now but he usually have some neat flathead stuff.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

If you are forced to buy a kit just for the engine and you want a period Hot Rod Flat Head, look for the '50 Ford pick-up. It has the Arden overhead conversion, looks somewhat like a Hemi, and has 3-2's with nice stacks instead of air cleaners. Also has some nice beauty rims and hub caps. You could always build the pick-up later with the engine from the '29.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1949-53 8BA/8CM flatheads has two belts, the inner belt goes from the crank pulley to the left water pump, up to the generator and back down to the crank pulley, the outer belt goes from the crank pulley to the right water pump, up to the fan and back down to the crank pulley, the fan is lower on the 49-53 engines than the 1938-48 59AB and the 1932-38 21 stud V8 flathead and they had different belt configurations.
Over the years Ford have had both two, three and four bladed fans mounted at different hights and locations on the flatheads.
So it's not that weird.

Edited by Force

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2016 at 3:52 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Revell '48 Ford convertible also has the stock engine plus period speed parts (finned heads, etc.) and can be found quite cheaply too.

Just a note regarding the cylinder heads in the Revell '48 Ford Convertible kit. While they are aftermarket performance parts, the cylinder heads are Motor City Flathead branded parts, so technically not '50s or '60s era vintage hot rod parts. They do look the part, though, and most people's eyesight is probably not good enough to make out the MCF logo cast into the head, but for the sake of accuracy, they are not true period speed parts...unless the early '90s is the period your looking to replicate.

These are from the Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler kit, but as Bill mentioned, the more recent reissues of the Revell '48 Ford Convertible still contain these parts, but Revell's '48 Ford Custom Coupe and '48 Ford Police Coupe 2'n1 kits do not:

MCF48ford.jpg.507ed8d18e78f62cbf534c70241b1412.jpg

The Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe 3'n1 does contain some nice Navarro period speed parts, pic of which can be viewed via

link here:

The Revell '48 Ford Police Coupe 2'n1 kit contains only the stock engine option, and zero aftermarket/speed parts.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just a note regarding the cylinder heads in the Revell '48 Ford Convertible kit. While they are aftermarket performance parts, the cylinder heads are Motor City Flathead branded parts, so technically not '50s or '60s era vintage hot rod parts. They do look the part, though, and most people's eyesight is probably not good enough to make out the MCF logo cast into the head, but for the sake of accuracy, they are not true period speed parts...unless the early '90s is the period your looking to replicate...

MY MISTAKE, and good to know.

I never actually LOOKED at the engraving on the heads...just ASSUMED they were oldies.

A lesson in why assuming and posting WRONG info isn't the wise move. 

I should know better.    :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 3/27/2016 at 3:15 PM, Earl Marischal said:

The other is I don't want piles of boxes of incomplete kits. I intend each project to be an individual, discrete, one-offs with nothing left over if l can help it.

For this reason, I recommend the Revell '32 Sedan. It comes with two engines and the means to mount them both. The flathead (a very nice one) and a Ford 302. This way you have the engine you need and parts to still build a complete model. No extras, not leftovers.

2013-06-08140621_zps2eb7a70a.jpg

51 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Does the Revell '48 Ford flathead have a correct '48 flathead, or is it a copy of the one in the '40 Ford kit?

Are you asking about the stock flathead engine in both kits?

Edited by Casey

55 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Yes.   THe distributor on the '40 is different from the '48, and I was wondering if they'd made that change.

They did. Pics of both the 'Revell '40 Standard and '48 Coupe stock flatheads here: 

• 5 years later...