Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Jaguar Mk II Saloon

bbowser

Finished this one last night, my very first Tamiya kit.  Very well engineered, the only trouble I had was the metal transfers, the kit is old and they wouldn't stick.  I used a little Micro Crystal Clear on the ends to keep them on.  Pretty happy with the outcome, not my usual subject.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking!

Finished this one last night, my very first Tamiya kit.  Very well engineered, the only trouble I had was the metal transfers, the kit is old and they wouldn't stick.  I used a little Micro Crystal Clear on the ends to keep them on.  Pretty happy with the outcome, not my usual subject.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking!

DSCN1569_zpsaxucwavk.jpg

Excellent choice of color: 

It is a really cool kit of a really cool subject. I also had trouble with the long side spears. Not sure how I made mine stick. 

Nice Job Bruce! This kit has been somewhat underrated as it was one of Tamiya's nicer efforts in this particular genre of cars. I wish they would have done more such as a full detail E-Type coupe or convertible. 

And yes, those wire wheels are typical Tamiya excellent quality! I can't think of any others that get that close to scale fidelity without looking clunky. 

Great job. I think it's a lovely kit, of a fantastic car. The wheels are probably the best around in injection plastic -- I have a set waiting for my E-type build. The engine detail is pretty good, as I remember -- any chance of some photos? It's certainly a distinctive car to add to your scale garage... well done.

bestest,

M.

Thanks for all the kind comments.  Yes, they are the best looking wire wheels I've ever encountered in plastic and no, I did not apply any type of wash - that's how they came out of the box.  The grill and "leaping cat" hood ornament are also really well done.  

Matt, I'm sorry I didn't take any engine photos during the build, it's pretty well hidden now under the bonnet and aircleaner.  It is a well detailed and executed piece as well, inline 6.

Superb build Bruce of a truly British sports saloon!

I was a race marshall at the Silverstone Circuit over nearly 30 years, which is about 5 miles away. I remember one of these in particular going to the classic race meetings, the owner/driver would overtake me on the country lanes in the morning, with white race circles on the doors, race the car and drive back to London (65 miles) at the end of the day.

He won most of his races as well! He didn't have a backup van, his race wheels and tyres would be in the back where the rear seats used to be, with the trolley jack and tools in the boot space. Depending on the weather he would take Minilite wheels with Dunlop period wet tyres, or Borani lightweight wirewheels with dry Dunlops.

Superb build Bruce of a truly British sports saloon!

I was a race marshall at the Silverstone Circuit over nearly 30 years, which is about 5 miles away. I remember one of these in particular going to the classic race meetings, the owner/driver would overtake me on the country lanes in the morning, with white race circles on the doors, race the car and drive back to London (65 miles) at the end of the day.

He won most of his races as well! He didn't have a backup van, his race wheels and tyres would be in the back where the rear seats used to be, with the trolley jack and tools in the boot space. Depending on the weather he would take Minilite wheels with Dunlop period wet tyres, or Borani lightweight wirewheels with dry Dunlops.

Very nice build and Patrick that is the only way to race.