Model Cars Magazine Forum

Man, oh man... I miss Danbury Mint!

Harry P.

When FM was on their game, they also built some well done models.  They seemed to lose interest as time went by and weren't interested in matching DM's level of detail,  but some of their models were favorites of mine.

Here are a couple of FM's well done Packards....a 1940 180 Custom 8 by Darrin,  and a 1934 Convertible Sedan 

P4030493.JPG

P4030492.JPG

P4030510.JPG

P4030494.JPG

P4030496.JPG

P4030497.JPG

P4030498.JPG

Edited by traditional

Here are a couple of models that Franklin Mint actually captured better than DM,............the early post war Chevy panel and Suburban.    FM got the windshield proportion fairly accurately while DMs version was too harsh and flat across the top.

Incidentally, my panel version was never done in production by FM. The model was bought on ebay and was an FM prototype for the panel van, but done in the color and trim that was used only on FM's Suburban.  It's probably a 'one-off' and is one of my favorite diecast models.

P4030504.JPG

P4030505.JPG

P4030499.JPG

P4030500.JPG

P4030502.JPG

P4030506.JPG

Edited by traditional

Just one more of FM's early castings that I still enjoy looking at.......1956 Continental Mark II.   Their original edition was in black and this one was a later 'limited Special edition'....hence the goofy plaque in the trunk. 

This casting was done when dog-leg doors were state of the art.   I believe that Harry's DM '53 Buick Skylark was the first diecast model to improve on the dog-leg doors by making the front edge of the doors swing in instead of out.

P4030486.JPG

P4030487.JPG

P4030488.JPG

P4030489.JPG

This is one of the very first DM models I ever got. Maybe even the first... it was long ago and I don't remember exactly.

1953 Buick Skylark...

buick2_zpsbnzhg7dx.jpg

buick1_zpsvob6zurj.jpg

buick3_zpseiewgbct.jpg

I believe that Harry's DM '53 Buick Skylark was the first diecast model to improve on the dog-leg doors by making the front edge of the doors swing in instead of out.

Some fine looking replicas here .

If I had the room I would be looking for a bunch of these

While the subject is hot.

I see there was a 1958 chrysler 300 hardtop produced.

Anyone know if a 1958 Chrysler 300 convertible was made...i have the 57s convertibles..but would like a 1958

Edited by gtx6970

Some fine looking replicas here .

If I had the room I would be looking for a bunch of these

While the subject is hot.

I see there was a 1958 chrysler 300 hardtop produced.

Anyone know if a 1958 Chrysler 300 convertible was made...i have the 57s convertibles..but would like a 1958

Yes, Franklin Mint made the '58 Chrysler 300D convertible in light blue.  It was a limited edition offering. See the listing below

http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_reviews/xq/ASP/id.F853/qx/reviewpix.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, as I mentioned before that I "shoulda" bought more Danbury & Franklin MInts while they were still in business. I did however on my way to the Milwaukee NNL last Saturday stop at the Model Empire in West Allis and picked up the Franklin Mint '60 Chevrolet Impala with the 6-cyl. engine. This is a "switch" me as my DM & FM are cars of the 50's.

I have a few of the DM & FM cars and trucks.  I'm glad I did not buy them when they were new. You can get most of the now for a fraction of the original cost. That said I did buy several of the FM when I got them wholesale. 

Here are some I picked up from a collection, no boxes but if your going to display them that's great. If anyone wants to see photos of a particular car, just ask. 

• 1 month later...

I have a few of the DM & FM cars and trucks.  I'm glad I did not buy them when they were new. You can get most of the now for a fraction of the original cost. That said I did buy several of the FM when I got them wholesale. 

Here are some I picked up from a collection, no boxes but if your going to display them that's great. If anyone wants to see photos of a particular car, just ask. 

IMG_8141-vi.jpg

Nice 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner!!!

The other cars, those non 1957 Fords are cool too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Danbury mints car were always the bomb. Today, and for a few years, Sunstar has been trying to replicate the details of the "mint" models with their platinum collection. I'd have to say, these cars look just as good as the Danbury mint cars. However the platinum models use less high end materials to stay in a price range of around $70-$100. These cars have a lot of bang for the buck. Also, the platinum models are in 1/18. But the Danbury cars are just a little nicer in terms of craftsmanship with more materials used.

1959 Pontiac bonneville:

green (Sunstar) 1/18

white (Danbury mint) 1/24

image.jpeg

image.jpeg