Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 chevy my first build

jpsatt90

Welcome Joe! You're certainly well ahead of the game, the wiring and paint detail is well beyond where I began my first model way back, my goodness half a century ago now (that is a surprise to me when I put it that way)

looking forward to more of your work,

Misha

1. The flat red is perfect. But matte/flat paints are still kinda soft and prone to handling damage. So I advise a flat clear coat.

2. Don't rebuild the pick-up. Leave it as is and just build another to match the '55. Maybe use a '55 Nomad instead of the pickup? The reason being is that as a fairly new builder your early works are important. They are the measuring stick, on how much you have improved as a builder, in the years/decades to come.

3. Ignition wires are not rigid, and will not hold an arc. Like most things affected by gravity they will sag. They should look more like this.

I think you are on the right track. A little more practice with BMF and you'll be a good clean builder. Well done.

I love the flat red paint ! I'm not typically a fan of dull-on-purpose paint jobs ; how-ever , any 50's vehicle has enough brightwork to balance the dull paint . Excellent choice !

Is the radiator in the correct-per-the-instructions location ? I've not yet built one of those ( super nice ) Revell '55-'56-'57 Chevies , so I'm not familiarised with the instructions .

I've been building on-and-off (more "on") for 40 years , and have never added wiring / battery cables / etc. ! Keep up the great work , Patrick !

Thanks everyone for your post i kinda want to start a new project and jump around a little i cant work on the same thing constantly i get board with it but i think its lookin good ratster777 is my dad and teacher check out his chevy 

1. The flat red is perfect. But matte/flat paints are still kinda soft and prone to handling damage. So I advise a flat clear coat.

2. Don't rebuild the pick-up. Leave it as is and just build another to match the '55. Maybe use a '55 Nomad instead of the pickup? The reason being is that as a fairly new builder your early works are important. They are the measuring stick, on how much you have improved as a builder, in the years/decades to come.

3. Ignition wires are not rigid, and will not hold an arc. Like most things affected by gravity they will sag. They should look more like this.

20151030_211515_zpsalogluqq.jpg

I think you are on the right track. A little more practice with BMF and you'll be a good clean builder. Well done.

my plug wires would stay like that idk if you can see but if you look really close theres brackets that hold them my grand pa has a 1:1 55 belair and that's how his wires sit with the wire connecters right over the valve covers thanks for ur comments tho hope to see more and get to know everyone a little more