Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Surf Woody

Misha

Thanks for the rim explanation, I wasn't aware of the "magnesium" effect. I used my set on my '34 Ford pickup build and left the plating as is, with piecrust slicks on the back. I used one of the blowers on the Revell '57 Ford build and added the dual intake tube from the AMT '64 Mercury custom engine option.. the frame and running gear is buried somewhere in the closet. This kit is a veritable gold mine of parts... like the Double Dragster kit.

I always liked this build of the roadster version: http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/surf_woody_roadster.html

I thought the wheels would be polished slots. I guess the as-cast centers are period correct, but somehow they're not what i had in mind :P

Thanks so much for posting that!

Wow, looks kinda cool! Now I have to think about building it that way. Looks kinda like someone chopped a Piranha down to roadster rod dimensions.

Wonder what that would look like with the pointy nose chopped off and a more traditional-type frame built around the radiator?

Not true. I think you have some kits confused.

This kit is original tooling.

The 33 Chevy kit became the Barnabus Vampire Van

Not true. I think you have some kits confused.

This kit is original tooling.

The 33 Chevy kit became the Barnabus Vampire Van

Thank you Mishba and Mr Metallic . Yes , it was the Barnabas Van .. I stand corrected and Thanx ..

I've had no interest in this kit until I saw the kit on the shelves at a local hobby store. In general the two versions everybody talks about, the Surf Woody and hearse version do nothing for me. But, then I saw the roadster version on the side of the box. Now that is kool. I'm now considering picking one up.

Edited by unclescott58

I've had no interest in this kit until I saw the kit on the shelves at a local hobby store. In general the two version everybody talks about. The Surf Woody and hearse version do nothing for me. But, then I saw the roadster version on the side of the box. Now that is kool. I'm now considering picking one up.

Get one. You'll think of SOMETHING to do with it. I'm already contemplating getting a second one.

And re one of my previous posts: The chassis--or more particularly the suspension--don't seem right at all for a drag altered or early FC, so that idea is out the window. But now I have an even cooler street/offroad roadster in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got one tonight at my local Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon. The more I look at what's inside the box. Especially the cool decals for both the inside and outside of the Surf Woody. I'm thinking I'll be building the Surf Woody version of this kit. Cool kit. Not cool enough for me to have paid full price for it. But for 40% off its well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a scan of the article on the Surf Woodie from Hot Rod magazine Apr. 1965

The Body color appears to be close to Testors Boyds Roadster Orange.. However I have photos of the Surf Woodie that shows it in a different color.. I'll post those  in another thread

Surf Woodie Hot Rod Magazine 1.jpg

Surf Woodie Hot Rod Magazine 2.jpg

Surf Woodie Hot Rod Magazine 3.jpg

Surf Woodie Hot Rod Magazine 4.jpg

Surf Woodie Hot Rod Magazine 5.jpg

The original Surf Woody was painted with a pearl white center section of the body and the sides were painted a reddish bronze, almost maple color and then fogged into the top panels. The original had Astro chrome steel wheels as did the original kit, the "as cast" appearance on the wheels in the later (and current) releases are totally wrong, as there wasn't anything about the wheels that were cast. The front suspension minus the rack can give anyone wanting some detailed Mustang suspension parts something to work with, along with a 289 with the Cobra dress up kit and cast pan, a Mickey Thompson cross ram two four intake and carbs, although the dual Paxton superchargers may be a bit much to fit in a Mustang. And a fairly nice C-4 automatic transmission,