Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Surf Woody

Misha

4 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Here is a GOOD site about old car magazines (and kits too!)

I bookmarked that a while back after searching online for a builder who was very much ahead of his time...

Copyright 99W Speed, R.H. Carroll, Lake Oswego, OR

On 1/21/2022 at 3:34 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

This one??

No, that's not the one I was thinking of. Armed with Vince's information below it looks like I'm off to dig out my 64 R+C's.

I do like that illustration though, especially the low slung style of the carbs/scoops.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, Vince Nemanic said:

The original Tom Daniel drawings were in a Rod 7 Custom Sketch Pad some time in 1964. I think it was two pages and one of the pics showed a GMC blower with top mounted injectors and dragster wire front wheels.

Thanks Vince. I'll be going home to dig out my 1964 R+C's to start with. What you describe sounds like the artwork I'm thinking of.

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I found the article. August 1964 issue of Rod & Custom. I have already started the version on the left of the Surf Woody from memory. Now I can get back to it. 

Thanks Craig for digging up the article, great descriptions of the construction. I’ve added it to my archive on the Surf Rod. It was one of my earliest kits I built when it was first released and a favourite ever since. Thinking of build another one using a blower instead as I agree it looks better.

Cheers Misha