Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Surf Woody

Misha

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Maybe Round2 will dig deep and reissue the Surf'n Van?

Pics of the sibling Horse Hide Hauler kit here, too: https://www.hobbydb.com/catalog_items/denny-mclain-s-horse-hide-hauler/gallery

AMTSurfnVan0.jpg

AMTSurfnVan4.jpg

Anyone happen to have one of these in their stash to show the unique parts vs the Surf Woody? Looks like I may have finally found a way to use one of my Surf Woody kits :P

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Anyone happen to have one of these in their stash to show the unique parts vs the Surf Woody? Looks like I may have finally found a way to use one of my Surf Woody kits :P

The instruction sheet page images in the link above for the HHH give us a good look at what's different, I think:

Denny_McLain%2527s_Horse_Hide_Hauler_ModDenny_McLain%2527s_Horse_Hide_Hauler_Mod

Those elliptical windows in the rear panel are just screaming for the Round2 multiple color transparent parts effect.

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

The instruction sheet page images in the link above for the HHH give us a good look at what's different, I think:

Those elliptical windows in the rear panel are just screaming for the Round2 multiple color transparent parts effect.

Yeah, and the roof too

Notice the literal bucket seats? ?

I may be inspired to try something similar on my own since I doubt we'll see a reissue

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vince Nemanic said:
  1. The Horse Hide Hauler is a derivative of the Surf Woody. As far as I know the XR-6 was never modified into anything else.

The XR6 was modified into an empty mold cavity to make room for the My Mother the Car travesty. What makes it even more sad is the real TV car wasn't even a 27. It was butchered from Norm Grabowski's 24 touring. AMT should have tooled up a new kit with the MMTC stuff as an option. Then we'd at least have a 24 Touring and the XR6. But I was only 4 years old then and they didn't ask me.

hrdp-1961-march-cover.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

The XR6 was modified into an empty mold cavity to make room for the My Mother the Car travesty. What makes it even more sad is the real TV car wasn't even a 27. It was butchered from Norm Grabowski's 24 touring. AMT should have tooled up a new kit with the MMTC stuff as an option. Then we'd at least have a 24 Touring and the XR6. But I was only 4 years old then and they didn't ask me.

My Mother the Car model car was a modified version of AMT's '27 Ford Model T Touring kit. 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, unclescott58 said:

My Mother the Car model car was a modified version of AMT's '27 Ford Model T Touring kit. 

That is correct. The AMT 1927 Model T Touring was a double kit which could build not only a stock or hot rod 27 Touring but also the XR6. The XR6 bit the dust to make room for the MMTC parts. Which was doubly wrong because as I stated before, the REAL car was built from Norm's 24 Model T. So using the 27 T kit was not well thought out. Just a cheap solution that cost us the XR6.

XR6-model-kit-by-AMT-.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

That is correct. The AMT 1927 Model T Touring was a double kit which could build not only a stock or hot rod 27 Touring but also the XR6. The XR6 bit the dust to make room for the MMTC parts. Which was doubly wrong because as I stated before, the REAL car was built from Norm's 24 Model T. So using the 27 T kit was not well thought out. Just a cheap solution that cost us the XR6.

I'm a bit confused on this. The box above states you can build two complete cars from that kit. The '27 T touring and XR-6. We know the '27 touring survived. What happened to XR-6? My understanding, My Mother the Car was tool off of the '27 touring. Just basically a different hood and radiator. The XR- suspension and motor look nothing like MMTC. 

Edited by unclescott58

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Yea. I just went over to Drastic Plastic to look at both kits instruction sheets. The XR-6 was not sacrificed to do My Mother the Car. They share nothing. And it obvious when you look at MMTC's instructions, it is AMT's '27 T touring with some slight modifications. More than just the hood and radiator. But not much more. So I don't think My Mother the Car hurt either of two cars above in long run. Especially not XR-6. Now were is the tooling for the XR-6? What happened to it? This I'd like to know. 

Edited by unclescott58

17 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Yea. I just went over to Drastic Plastic to look at both kits instruction sheets. The XR-6 was not sacrificed to do My Mother the Car. They share nothing. And it obvious when you look at MMTC's instructions, it is AMT's '27 T touring with some slight modifications. More than just the hood and radiator. But not much more. So I don't think My Mother the Car hurt either of two cars above in long run. Especially not XR-6. Now were is the tooling for the XR-6? What happened to it? This I'd like to know. 

Ok. I will explain this one more time. The 27 T kit used one tool to make both the T Touring and the XR6. It was not a separate tool. The portion of the tool that had the inserts for the XR6 was cleared out to make room for the MMTC parts. Most of the tool layout was rearranged. Therefore the XR6 no longer exists. If you ever get a chance to see the original kit you can see just how much cool stuff got wiped out, including a pair of chrome cycle wheels for the T Tub.

Edited by Dave Darby

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Scott, I initially thought the same thing-- by my count the MMTC kit features 18 new or different parts compared to the '27 Touring, so it didn't seem reasonable and entire secong half of the mold would be sacrificed. Looking at the same section of chrome parts from both the XR-6 and MMTC kits, you can see the runners are the same and the headlight buckets and front bumper remain in the same position, but there is a lot of empty space surrounding the parts for the MMTC kit, and maybe only 15 total parts. Compare that to the XR-6 chrome, and especially where the spoked cycle wheels were which Dave mentioned...it's gone.

I guess one could argue the XR-6 parts were all separate inserts and maybe someday they'll turn up, but I think Dave is very much correct here.

XR6.jpg

MMTC1.jpg

18 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Too bad. Now does this mean the tooling for My Mother the Car remains? And if so, how soon can we expect to see a reissue of that? I'm not sure if I'd buy a MMTC kit if it was reissued? 

Now that would be a possibility. I sure wouldn't be first in line to buy one though.

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

Scott, I initially thought the same thing-- by my count the MMTC kit features 18 new or different parts compared to the '27 Touring, so it didn't seem reasonable and entire secong half of the mold would be sacrificed. Looking at the same section of chrome parts from both the XR-6 and MMTC kits, you can see the runners are the same and the headlight buckets and front bumper remain in the same position, but there is a lot of empty space surrounding the parts for the MMTC kit, and maybe only 15 total parts. Compare that to the XR-6 chrome, and especially where the spoked cycle wheels were which Dave mentioned...it's gone.

I guess one could argue the XR-6 parts were all separate inserts and maybe someday they'll turn up, but I think Dave is very much correct here.

XR6.jpg

MMTC1.jpg

I'd be pretty surprised if anything were to show up. If anything still existed I'm sure it would have been reissued by now. I do think that it is possible that some portions of the cavities may still be in the tool, but much like how the A la Kart nose is gone from the current Mod Rod kit, the bulk of the XR6 is gone. BTW, besides owning a few XR6 and more current issues, I also read this in an article by either Tim Boyd or Terry Jessee, Dennis Doty or other model kit historian years ago. Nonetheless I'd love a peek inside that tool.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, unclescott58 said:

Are you two telling me you don't want a model from one of the greatest TV shows of all time? ? Especially since it's star Jerry VanDyke just passed away recently. And with Barris' passing a while back. Round 2 needs to do a tribute model.

It's butt ugly and inaccurate. And Barris only built the back up car. The Original was modified from Norm Grabowski's 1924 tub by prop man Kaye Trapp with assistance from Norm Breedlove (Craig's dad).

Edited by Dave Darby

Just now, Dave Darby said:

It's butt ugly and inaccurate. And Barris only built the back up car. The Original was modified from Norm Grabowski's 1924 tub by prop man Kate Trapp with assistance from Norm Breedlove (Craig's dad).

Yea. No arguments from me on any of the above. But, come on. We need the model of My Mother the Car to come back! (Not!) 

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Are you two telling me you don't want a model from one of the greatest TV shows of all time? ? Especially since it's star Jerry VanDyke just passed away recently. And with Barris' passing a while back. Round 2 needs to do a tribute model.

Yawn.