Model Cars Magazine Forum

A 1/24 copy of our own '61 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe

traditional

Years ago, Brian Dunning, proprietor of a shop called Vickie's Gifts in California, started having his own line of high end 1/24 diecasts models (mostly late '50s and early '60s Chevies) made in China. The company was called West Coast Precision Diecast (WCPD) and although the models were popular, Brian eventually found that the effort involved was simply too much for the compensation they afforded.

I'd bought a few models from them and during the company's 'hayday', quite a few years ago, a friend of mine had mentioned to Brian that my brother and I had restored a '61 Chevy Sport Coupe and he immediately began putting together a package of most of the parts that would be needed to modify one of their '61 Chevy models ( an all black Impala SS) into Larry's and my particular Impala car.  The parts arrived in the mail one day and you can imagine how quickly the modifications became a labor of love.   The doors had to be filled and painted since ours didn't have the door mirrors, the SS badges were replaced with Impala markings, an optional rocker panel molding was fabricated in polished aluminum, the grille bar was modified from a Revell '59 Impala, The black roof was replaced with an ermine white insert, a simulated remote control mirror was added to the driver's front fender, a stock optional tri-carb intake was added to the 348" motor and all the optional air-conditioning detail (compressor, hoses, drier, etc.) were scratchbuilt following the details on our 1/1. 

Our 1/1 was evidently a California air-conditioning package that included the white top, and the dealer installed optional rocker panel moldings, etc. so although Larry and I would have probably preferred a solid color and no rocker moldings, that was the correct way to restore our car and the model reflects exactly the vehicle that we restored years ago.

Following are a few pics of the model as well as a couple of pics of the full size car.

P5310223.JPG

P5310227.JPG

P4020477.JPG

P5310222.JPG

P4020473.JPG

P5310225.JPG

Following are three pics of the original 1/1 Restoration

61 impala b.jpg

61 impala c.jpg

61chevimpala1-1.jpg

Edited by traditional

• 4 weeks later...