Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey guys. Heres a project that I first showed in my "in progress" thread. The inspiration is a Mack R800 model that was built for Australia. Its basically a DM800 with a centered cab because of the right hand drive. It would have been ridiculous to be sitting in the middle of the truck. Zero side visibilty! Anywho, leter in the RD800 was built in America but has a taller hood, lower flatter fenders, and square headlights. To me, the Aussie truck is the coolest one. So Im building a "what if". Im building an American version of the Australian Mack, or a R800rsx with left hand drive. I just really have never been a fan of the offset cab, but I like the long squared front of the DM800. Heres some of the 1:1

3DA8A9E1-8C96-4B3C-83F4-D7A737F09B07.png

18B0D14E-20A7-4923-9033-F440E30714F0.png

B1B2ED10-836B-4E23-8A49-800325062CD1.png

The base for this build was a DM800 I built as a kid. This is how it looked in 2009 when I pulled it out to start a rebuild.

0A483B0D-7243-416C-87DE-4688D5D15F76_zps

988DE2F1-7434-4669-913A-2BD1725ECD8F_zps

A6CC0A84-FC4F-4EC4-8B22-94DD49E67001_zps

I dont have any pics of the 2nd build, but it was grey and blue with a headache rack, but basically the same truck that was white and yellow.This is the start of the 3rd rebuild

A8022DEE-D5B3-48E2-B2B7-7712DBF33ACC_zps

A30A9B98-2334-48B5-9C5A-8F5BA199F900_zps

After beefing up the frame and stretching it about 1-1/4, filing and sanding the tires, added some round tanks from an AMT R model, re-inforced the front axle, and throwing some primer on the whole thing heres where I am.

047CBE5F-B47D-4319-B5B0-0B6F8ECF12B6_zps

B5573A0A-EB0A-401E-9699-3BFBE4E7F476_zps

31D787D8-EC1D-432E-8C20-C8DB87B2FD7E_zps

52F4B632-57CC-4464-90CF-3D9A8E50DFC1_zps

CCB92875-C3BD-4CD1-8623-FCC82AB3E07D_zps

E458DCE2-3A3A-477D-AC01-0E23DBD88023_zps

FAAF6C40-8150-42A9-B7EB-1323FAF1B39C_zps

wheels are AITM, dump body is Italeri. I notice that I will need to move the fuel tanks back!

Edited by Superpeterbilt

So basically a DM800 with the regular cab from an R series? Good idea, I understand the reason for the offset cabs, but they do look a bit strange. Not as weird as the half cabs out there, but still odd. Looks like you got a good start. Were you able to center the DM800 cab or did you have to scrounge the cab from an R model kit? 

I like the idea you've got. 

Ben

Thanks Ben!

looks great !

Thanks Gino!

I think that you will have to check the position of the front axle, in my opinion tu is not correct the R800 the axles is not the same position as DM 800.

Alain, I wasnt completely sure on this. I cant really find any info on this truck. If you have any info it would greatly help. I tried to move the axle, but the parts werent budging. At this point, it would destroy the frame if I were able to remove the springs. Im happy with re-building my old DM, rather than having a completely aquirate R800. I will build moe of these, as I really dont like the offset cab so I will make my mistakes on this one.

Terry you have selected a very interesting Mack to build. From looking at your reference pictures they have fuel tanks very close to the front wheels like you have. 

Thanks Dan. Ive been itching to do this. Its an awesome truck!

So basically a DM800 with the regular cab from an R series? Good idea, I understand the reason for the offset cabs, but they do look a bit strange. Not as weird as the half cabs out there, but still odd. Looks like you got a good start. Were you able to center the DM800 cab or did you have to scrounge the cab from an R model kit? 

I used the DM cab. I sawed off the firewall and made a new one from sheet styrene. Its really not that hard. If you look under the driver door, youll see evidence of the DM cab. 

It's good to see older builds re-purposed and the centered cab looks much better. Looking forward to this project!

Thanks Dennis, I coulnt agree more. I love rebuilding a built up, especially mine. 

like it

follow this one also terry

keep it going these old type,s

jacobus

Thanks Jacobus!

That is one beast of a truck!  Great start.  Will be following this along!

I love it ! And being partial to that dump body. I really like it on that big Mack. You can bet I will  be doing something like this with one of My DM 800's.

Be Well

Gator

Terry DM models are completely different model r I will prepare a small folder on the 800 R.

I thank you for your time Alain.

That is one beast of a truck!  Great start.  Will be following this along!

Thanks Charles!

I love it ! And being partial to that dump body. I really like it on that big Mack. You can bet I will  be doing something like this with one of My DM 800's.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator!

Update for today, I built a new set of front fenders. I pulled a new grill and fenders out of the junkbox and started cutting. I cut the fenders off about .125 behind the headlights, and rebuilt fenders covered in diamond plate. I also added the extended fender that is present only on this Australian model. Im satisfied with the progress. Im pretty sure this is the biggest truck that Ive built, mainly because of the wheels.

Thank you Alain, but thats a different truck than what Im building. The Australian R800 and the American RD800 are very different. The DM800 was inconvenient to make right hand drive because of the offset cab, so these were built. They were using left hand drive DM800s in Australia prior to these being built. If you notice the 1:1 photos in the first post you will see the difference.