Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Charger pro street build

charlesdcamden

Well, this build is my first in 10 years, so please bear with me lol. It wont be up to the caliber of some of the epics on here but we all cant do one off Mad Max war machines, can we ;) lol. 

So my build started with an $8 revell red hot pro street t-bird. I was going to build it box stock, but the more i looked at it the more i hated the 'birds lines. So i decided to find another body that would drop on the prostreet chassis. I decided to go with revells 68 charger, just because ive never seen a prostreet dodge charger, and because WHY NOT lol. Once i had the box open and compared the charger to the birds chassis i almost gave up. The chargers wheel base was longer than the birds. However, i was dead set on a Prostreet Charger. So, i used part of the birds chassis, the rear end, the tires and wheels (which i painted silver and black to hide the gawdy gold plating), the roll cage, the intake and carbs, and so many other bits and pieces that the list would be too long lol. Here are some pics, they pretty much explain all that ive done so far. I really liked the fit of the 429 ford intake onto the 426 hemi optional engine that came with the Charger. Also ive lowered tge stance a bit, so it wont sit like a rock crawler anymore. Enjoy!

20160331_195323.jpg

20160331_195514.jpg

20160402_083804.jpg

20160402_081548.jpg

20160402_100317.jpg

20160402_192352.jpg

20160402_192411.jpg

20160402_192429.jpg

20160402_192439.jpg

Kitbashing is fun! Especially when you aren't worried about having everything end up being totally, mechanically, perfect or correct.  Enjoy your build and welcome back.

yea, this car being 100% mechanically correct and perfect was never a concern (im a mechanic by trade, and doing that would seem too much like my job haha). I probably will focus on the mechanical aspect on some later builds, but for now im just worried about how cool it will look sitting on my shelf lol. 

Ok so heres what i accomplished this morning. Corrected stance made possible by simply flipping the spindles upside down and "lowering blocks" in the rear.... This also allowed me to use the t-birds shocks in the rear. Also modded the stock hood for clearance.... I was gonna use the "shaker" hood with the big wedge scoop but it wouldnt give me the look i was after. Forgot to take in progress pics....... Ill get em next time! Its slow going but im doing work :) also took a moment to assemble some spare partd for a very vague future build idea.... Dont even have a car or enough parts but i have the tires and wheels so thats a start. Enjoy!

20160403_124015.jpg

20160403_124007.jpg

20160403_124027.jpg

20160403_132523.jpg

Now that's looking great! Kit bashing is one of the best things about building. Good to see that you took the time to build something that you liked and have not seen before. Please keep us updated cause I'm really liking this. Thanks.    Jeff 

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Im really excited to see how this turns out as well lol. I got some small work done tonite. Got the chassis painted and battery/ignition box installed. Also kinda detailed the battery when i first painted it, thats one of the small bits i forgot to snap a pic of in the beginning lol. I broke the roll cage during my last mock up, so i repaired it and installed the dash and filler from the t-bird. Also painted the shifter and installed the fuel cell. Heres some pics and the current mock up (i do this every time i put it away so no parts get lost haha). The cage isnt installed yet, but will be painted the same color as the body (plumb crazy purple or grabber green) with all the padding and dash in flat black. Maybe some detail on the guages. Idk it depends on my mood lol.

Also, after looking at my hood i decided to just buy some filler and sheet styrene and turn the contoured charger hood into a smooth cowl hood with a 10 inch (scale) cowl hood. Sooo the fabrication is still in progress. Enjoy! 

20160404_000416.jpg

20160403_175204.jpg

20160403_235848.jpg

20160403_175212.jpg

20160403_175133.jpg

My styrene should be in either tomorrow or thursday.... I live an hour and a half away from the nearest true "hobby" shop so i chose to buy some bulk online. It was probably cheaper. What i dont get is that Hobby Lobby sells sheet metal, metal rods and tubing, has sheets of wood and wooden dowels/square stock, but no styrene!? Oh well lol. Luckily im good at the waiting game lol

Well, heres the test of my paint choice.... Its one coat of black primer followed by 3 coats of testors custom grape gloss topcoat.... No sanding or wetsanding on the junk hood. It kinda looks like a really dark wine color. Which isnt exactly what i was going for. However.... I think i may try 4 coats of the topcoat to see if i can concentrate more of the purple. The cowl hoodscoop is a no go for this morning because a) i cant find my square OR my drafting straight edge, and 2) i work 3rd shift and its my bed time lol. Ill try to find my drafting stuff and mock up a cowl out of a couple of my kids poke mon cards when i wake up lol. Until then enjoy :)

20160407_092738.jpg

Quick update.... Got the rollcage painted, detailed and installed onto the chassis. And with absolutely 0 fingerprints.... Im kinda procrastinating on the cowl hood, but ill get it done. Ive got some contour putty drying overnight to start smoothing the stock hoods contours and filling the hole where the gas tank lid was. Also decided to shave all the emblems..... Not gonna use the door handles, wipers or any other body chrome except the windshield and rear glas trim, as well as fender trim. Heres a pic of the assembled chassis. Enjoy!

Message_1460069779608.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Finally got this thing finished! The hood i got from LSM turned out almost perfect. Ill definitely be using them in the future for other things. For $8.50 shipped and only needed some small trim work and a minor tweak to make it sit flat (mostly because my engine is ungodly tall and doest actually clear without touching....) it was very much worth it and took some headache out of fabbing a proper cowl induction hood.

Its definitely not up to par with most builds on here because of lack of detail, paint quality, and mechanical realism on some things, but i like it and its got me geared up for a couple of more future builds that will take me out of my comfort zone, which have been mostly box stock undetailed builds (aka gluebombs lol)

I didnt take any pics of the WIP for the final assembly, but it was all button up stuff that almost everyone always neglects to do until it has to be done lol. The paint didnt turn out like id really wanted.... It stayed kinda green for almost 7 days and doesnt have the shine i wanted. But this was basically a relearn on how to do this so im more than happy with the outcome :) soooo without further ado, here she is, fellow plastic bandits :) enjoy!

20160421_151050.jpg

20160421_151100.jpg

20160421_151115.jpg

20160421_151153.jpg

20160421_151143.jpg

20160421_151218.jpg

20160421_151233.jpg

• 1 year later...

Looks great to me. Love the rear meats and the roll cage. I am building one now, fairly stockish, but with bigger meats (tubless though) so they protrude a bit, just like in the 70's. Having a hell of a time with the front valance 3 piece combo as the instructions (what are those?) shows a lame assembly. Yours looks like it fits correctly.