Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Buick Riviera

Mattsteel85

Well picked this project up at a hobby show in Taunton Ma basically because it came with a lowrider bicycle that I thought was pretty cool!  Well it's going along pretty well so far but not exactly sure what Ima do with the paint and interior!  Here are a few pics:

frame and underpan:

image_zpsunb0wjwn.jpeg

Few engine shots:

image_zpsdkumniej.jpeg

image_zpsrhvpp0iy.jpeg

image_zpsxgfu4gqn.jpeg

Edited by Mattsteel85

Nice...I'm not the least bit into lowriders but I can't pass up a Buick...looking forward to seeing where you go with this one.

hey with a name like mr Buick, I've got a ??? for ya! Every picture I find of the nailhead online has a fuel pump attached to the front of the motor by crank case but this kit didn't come with one attached or a loose peice to b installed! It should have one on the front passenger side of the motor right? I may have to rob one from another kit

I guess I could do that! Where are electric fuel pumps located? Firewall/fender wells?

Usually anywhere the person who installed it decided to put it, but the two most common areas are in the fuel tank, or along the frame rails. Typically, with an electric fuel pump you want to keep it as far away from heat as possible to minimize pump failure. The "best" place is in the fuel tank because the fuel helps keep it cool, but it's more common for people to put it on the frame rails if they aren't using a fuel cell or didn't modify the existing tank.

Just to add to what Colby has stated, they are a better push pump than they are a suck pump. The closer to the tank the longer they last. My 80 Capri had one about halfway back in the car when I bought it. It failed early so my friend ( a mechanic) told me we need to put in the back right next to the tank. Much better that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

About that fuel pump ,, on my 1/1 '69 Riv, it was in the tank attached to the float for the fuel gage. Came from the factory like that. Now that was a 430 engine, not the 425 nailhead like in '66 so I'm not sure all that generation of Riv was like that. My '72 Riv had a standard mechanical pump on the engine as did the other 4 Buicks I had. 

update ,, it seems just the '69 and '70 Rivs had the pump in the tank but you could say one was refit to the '66.  ;)

[BTW, I'd be more worried about the lack of headlights than the fuel pump.]

66buick44457-3.jpg 

Edited by Can-Con

About that fuel pump ,, on my 1/1 '69 Riv, it was in the tank attached to the float for the fuel gage. Came from the factory like that. Now that was a 430 engine, not the 425 nailhead like in '66 so I'm not sure all that generation of Riv was like that. My '72 Riv had a standard mechanical pump on the engine as did the other 4 Biucks I had. 

some pics show it attached to the block and some don't! Prob depends on the application/ car it's going on

Matt,

That looks so incredible, and shiny, and the detail!

You are a very "lets go at it" kinda builder. I wish so

bad that I could be that way.

I spend more time in the hobby room just sipping

Java and thinking about all the things I want to do!!

Awesome build Matt, I just love it!

David S.

P.S.- That bike is pretty cool also!!