Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-chopping the Revell 48 Ford Update 4-13-16

Jason Foster

Well, with the 48 Chevy project coming together. I started a new chop tonight. I seem to be becoming addicted to chopping cars lately. Yes, this time I took plenty of pictures of the process. Let me know what you think. 20160403_171756.jpg First up is marking what to remove.20160403_172059.jpg Next I removed the door pillars. 20160403_173111.jpg 20160403_173040.jpg Followed by the rear window. More to come!

Edited by Jason Foster

Now with the back window out. We can chop the top off. First we make a horizontal cut from the rear window opening to the side of the car. Then from the rear of the side window to the cut that is already made. Should end up with something like this. The front window pillars get cut on either side of the tape used to mark the chop. This now frees the top from the rest of the car. Quick test fit, looks pretty good so far. More to come.

Now that we have the top off. We need to cut some material off the rear roof to lower the back. I cut across the roof pillar, but not clear across to the edge of the rear window. I also made a vertical cut to seperate the roof top from the roof pillar. Like so. 20160403_175314.jpg Then I scored on the inside of the roof, from one vertical cut to the other with a knife. This will allow me to bend the roof line up to match up with the laid down rear window.  20160403_175350.jpg You will also need to bend the roof pillars outward to match up with the main body. 20160403_175852.jpg Next I will modify the main body to match up with the roof. More to come.

Edited by Jason Foster

So, now we need to bring the lower portion of the roof pillar in to match the upper roof section. I need to make a small wedge cut like so. Then bend the pillar in towards the center of the body. You can see the stress discoloration in the plastic where is was bent. Here's what it looks liked taped together Next will be to glue it together.

Very interesting... And very brave! 

This is a great WIP thread and very instructive to be following along. So far I've only attempted Model As, Dueces, and truck cabs as they are literally straight forward. Watching your technique encourages me too try my hand at it.

Thanks for doing this, I'll be following along closely!

Cheers Misha

Well here it is all glued together, minus the rear window frame 20160403_183739.jpg Now were left with some sheet metal to patch....I mean plastic. 20160403_221502.jpg 20160403_222642.jpg Once the glue has dried. I hit the high spots with a 1/4" sanding drum. Followed by needle files and sanding sticks. Next up I'll shoot some primer to see where I'm at with the body work.

Edited by Jason Foster

Next I rough out the window openings and door pillars. Needed to add some plastic to the back window. Top of the opening was too big and did not match the roof line. 20160404_144332.jpg Some more sanding to radius the edges around the window openings and another coat of primer. 20160404_190511.jpg Needs some more sanding and filler. Next up is to put the drip rail back on with some .010x.020 evergreen rectangular rod. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Jason Foster

Small update today. Got most of the body work done now. Mocking up wheels. I think I'm going with these, there from the 58 Thunderbird. Cant remember what the grill is from, maybe somebody can help me out with that. Using the bumpers that came in the kit. Last pic has the drip rails installed and the silver base coat applied. Thanks for looking.20160410_203548.jpg 20160412_122909.jpg 20160412_122948.jpg 20160413_205117.jpg

Edited by Jason Foster

Misha I cut the bottom half of the hood off and molded it to the body. No sectioning or pancaking. I'm not sure if there's a customizing term for that or not. I did it partly so I could smooth the front end around the grill. Thanks for the comments guys.

Jason,

Just wow is all I can think of right now!!  And you make that

look so easy in a time elapsed sorta way.

Well I'm jumping on the "follow" band wagon!

That is such a big, cool, long car for that kind of body work.

The trunk lid looks like a "Third world country"! What do they

speak on that thing? Styrenese?

Nice work, I love it,

David S.