Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram / Revell 1/12th Corvette , Camaro , '57 Chevy

What parts are the same in these kits. I think they can all be built stock and I know there some great extra parts. Are any of these parts similar to all kits? Or does each kit have different extras, wheels, tires, engine parts ?

The only things that are identical in all three kits are the tires. They each have sets of drag slicks (which in my humble opinion are way too narrow), very nicley done stock Firestone bias plies (again imho, too narrow) and really nice Goodyear Eagle STs.

I'll refer to the models as follows

A= "69 Camaro Z/28

B= "67 Corvette 427 Coupe

C= '57 Chevy Sport Coupe

It's Nice to have as many of each kit as you can get your hands on because of the deversity and interchangeability of the parts since they all have three biulding options- stock, street machine or drag.

A... Has a nice set of finned stock Z/28 valve covers which are chrome, but should be natural aluminum for accuracy. It has a "Tunnel Ram" intake manifold as well as a GM cross ram. Beautiful factory Ralleys or Cragar Drag-Lites for wheel options there. Nice velocity stacks wit screen filter detail. Only headers are offered in this kit.

B... Has a big block, so not too much can be used on the small blocks offered in the other two kits. Both sets of valve covers are nice, stock steel stamped which are NOT chromed and Moroso that are chrome for the modified look. Also a nice Moroso air filter for the single four borrel carb as well as the stock triangular one that goes with the three two barrels. This one has a blower that is very nice and almost identical to the one in kit C, but it differs with respect that it has a period correct three butterfly scoop. Wheel options are stock turbine style or Center Line type. Headers and stock exhaust manifolds are included.

C... Has Very nice stock steel (not chrome) and Corvette style valve covers. With this kit you have your choice of stock fuel injection, a cheesy Tunnel Ram that doesn't compare with kit A and no headers, only the stock "rams horn" exahust manifolds. Beautiful blower setup with Quadrjet carburators. A nice set of traditinal Cragar five spokes or full stock hubcaps for the wheels and you do get the wide whitewall inserts too.

All three of these kits build up very well and when you mix and match the different parts you can have a model that will really please you. With some inginuity and extra detailing you can take any one of them as far as you want. Here are my two examples:

I once owned an SS396 Camaro and 1:25th scale got old.

Camarossenginedetail1.jpg

CamaroSS3.jpg

And I'd give alot for a '67 Corvette even my left n... err big toe!

100_0009.jpg

100_0010.jpg

100_0013.jpg

John; Nice builds! I would like to add that I tried a bunch of times to build these kits back in the days of Monogram form; and was disappointed every attempt; as I could never seem to get a kit that had good chrome parts...I did try repeated attempts for replacement parts; but they always arrived as bad as the originals...faded, 1/2 plated; or big chunks in them...I think the camaro was the only one I ever got to build in it's entirety...and it's a shame...they all are nice kits overall; and I know that Revell Germay has re-popped all of the kits in the past couple of years; which should have increased the Quality of the kits parts immeasurably....I would build any of them for sure....BTW John; whereabouts in SoMAR are you? I grew up in St. Mary's county....go up there once year to visit.............matt

As mentioned before, the only parts really shared between these kits are the tyres - and I find exactly them the downfall of all three models. The tyres are simply too small.

The otherwise actually quite nice lineup should be expanded with Challenger/Cuda/Charger/Road Runner and Mustang/Cougar.

• 1 month later...

Would anyone know where to get a nice set of big pro street tires for 1/12th scale? I wanted to do a ProStreet 69 Camaro with a blown big block hanging out the hood. It just wouldn't look right with those mickey mouse slicks included with the base kits. RC Car tires are about the size but are made for scale traction, not scale looks. Has anyone looked at the wheelies toy wheels to see if they are the right size?

Hey Bradley,

This is a pic of something done by a fellow modeller in the U.S. Ralph H(?)..not sure if he posts here.

It's a trick I wish to try myself one day....

Ralph used the tyres (and wheels I think) from the 1/18 Muscle Machines..

They have good tread detail, similar to a M/T tread, and Ralph cut out their sidewall and neatly fitted the kit tyre sidewall in it's place....With careful trimming it looks very convincing I think.. :lol:

post-3007-1212215330_thumb.jpg

Hey Bradley,

This is a pic of something done by a fellow modeller in the U.S. Ralph H(?)..not sure if he posts here.

It's a trick I wish to try myself one day....

Ralph used the tyres (and wheels I think) from the 1/18 Muscle Machines..

They have good tread detail, similar to a M/T tread, and Ralph cut out their sidewall and neatly fitted the kit tyre sidewall in it's place....With careful trimming it looks very convincing I think.. :lol:

You must be referring to a guy who went by the screen name "ralphloves69cars". This guy is in SoCal and does some fantastc work. I bought a resin cast 1/12th scale Turbo 400 automatic transmission from him for a Z/28 to SS350 conversion. He is a member of many sites, but I haven't heard anything from him for months.

You must be referring to a guy who went by the screen name "ralphloves69cars". This guy is in SoCal and does some fantastc work. I bought a resin cast 1/12th scale Turbo 400 automatic transmission from him for a Z/28 to SS350 conversion. He is a member of many sites, but I haven't heard anything from him for months.

Ah, yes..that'd be the fellow. Kool screen name.

I know he posted a bit at LSM (Large Scale), but I haven't logged in there for ages..

Would love to get my hands on a TH400 box.....I've thought of trying to make one myself....never got around to it....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zebm1

There iz another forum that iz strictly Large scale, but I'm not to sure that I won't run afoul of greggH's rules.....send me a PM and I'll give yall tha web addy.... ahh they cast stuff regularly. They are doing a get together pretty soon, up North I think.

BTW, I have 2 57s, an 80s version and tha newest mold (in white), two 67 Vettes (red and black) and 1 Camaro..... been trying to make some Wide 5s to build me a mid 60s Late Model 57 Chubby race car.....with either a 327(fake it) or a 396/427.... been assembling/collecting parts for a year now. :lol:

Kinda like this race car....

DSCF4082.jpg

DSCF4077.jpg

or thisun...

mid_60LM.jpg

I have a tendency to take quite a bit o' time preparing......

BTW, I have 2 57s, an 80s version and tha newest mold (in white), two 67 Vettes (red and black) and 1 Camaro..... been trying to make some Wide 5s to build me a mid 60s Late Model 57 Chubby race car.....with either a 327(fake it) or a 396/427.... been assembling/collecting parts for a year now. :unsure:

I was under the impression that the Corvette has never been repopped. I've only seen them molded in red plastic, and I have 6 of them.