Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 3rd Quarter 2016

gasman

Brian, there are some posts on page four of this thread that deal with the engine question. There is a detail shot of the engine, in the lower left corner of the box art photo that has been posted here. Given Revell's "maximization of the tool" track record, I will guess that the only engine changes will be Headers and Valve covers.

Edit:  Brett beat me to it.  What Brett says is probably as close as we'll get to knowing until the kit hits the shelves.

Check out my "gasser" build under Drag Racing (Revell '57 Gasser) as I didn't wait for Revell to issue one, I made my own. Of course most of the parts came from Revell kits also like the 427 & the front suspension parts. 

That is beautiful work!!

I will guess that the only engine changes will be Headers and Valve covers.

Quite some time ago, when the possibility of this kit derivative was just under discussion, several different engine induction options were considered.  I was contacted for input.  

At the time of the discussion, my somewhat vague recollection was that the final agreed direction was for the engine to have a new dual quad carb system with a different application-specific intake manifold.  It was to be patterned after specific aftermarket components (regrettably, I do not have my notes at hand from that time).  

I do not know if that plan made the final kit contents or not, but I do recall thinking that it was a good solution at the time.....TIM 

Looks to be a modified version of the chassis used in the C6R kit , either way, care not, the body is whats important to me.

I agree, looks like the C6R chassis just updated abit, but as you said, who cares, the body is whats really important. Of course, this comes out just as I started working on my C7R from a RC body...oh well I'll have to put it up to one of these to see how well I did.

Thanks for the pic Gerry.

David

Tim, I wonder how difficult it will be to sub in a suitable Blower on this engine? I can't (offhand) think of a kit that would supply a Blower for the 312 T-Bird motor.

Strange that both AMT and Revell do make blown versions of the 312, but neither is the Classic GM 6-71 set-up.

Alan

Quite some time ago, when the possibility of this kit derivative was just under discussion, several different engine induction options were considered.  I was contacted for input.  

At the time of the discussion, my somewhat vague recollection was that the final agreed direction was for the engine to have a new dual quad carb system with a different application-specific intake manifold.  It was to be patterned after specific aftermarket components (regrettably, I do not have my notes at hand from that time).  

I do not know if that plan made the final kit contents or not, but I do recall thinking that it was a good solution at the time.....TIM 

It's hard to tell from the one ghosted inset picture on the box art, but I can kinda make out what appear to be typical 4-bbl carbs.  Those stock Holley teapots were not known for their performance.

Count me in for Revell's F&F 70' Charger! (maybe two of them) I pretty much assume its a plastic port of the 2002ish die cast that started out as the 68 Bullitt Charger (which is a modified 69' tool, both are nice kits BTW). I've been wanting one of their 70's, as the AMT one I built was horrid and the grill needed alot of work to look like its not on 69' fenders (not to mention a poor excuse for a blower among other problems), but they're rarer than the Eclipse and Civic in that line. Now, that's changed and since Tower Hobbies lists a June release, I'll nab em along with the AMT Tyrone Drag Truck and Papa Transporter thats also coming out.

C7-R looks nice too! (the body that is... the frame gives me nightmares of the C6-R's blandness). If using the frame from the pre-painted kit, would make a wild street custom!

Edited by RickRollerLT1

I really don't think its an "all new tooling". I don't see it since Revell's reissuing a flawed Yenko Nova as is, and being they have the 68/9 and die cast tooling available. I have a feeling they ported the contents of the die cast version to plastic, or if they did spend some coin, they probably tooled a new body, grill, and such for the plastic 68/9 molds (speaking of grills maybe we'll have two, the open headlight from the diecast, and a new closed headlight one).

Edited by RickRollerLT1

I , too , hope that the Fast & Furious Charger includes a stock building option . It'll mark the first time since MPC's 1970 annual kit that we've seen a stock 1970 Charger !

EDIT : I also hope that if a stock 440 Magnum is included that R-M tools the correct 1970 & later valve covers , and the new-for-1970 air cleaner ( cold start emissions style; the 'stovepipe' on the left-side manifold which connects to its respective snorkle ).

Edited by 1972coronet

I , too , hope that the Fast & Furious Charger includes a stock building option . It'll mark the first time since MPC's 1970 annual kit that we've seen a stock 1970 Charger !

EDIT : I also hope that if a stock 440 Magnum is included that R-M tools the correct 1970 & later valve covers , and the new-for-1970 air cleaner ( cold start emissions style; the 'stovepipe' on the left-side manifold which connects to its respective snorkle ).

Don't for get the door scoops to make an R/T and the rear taillight panel which the R/T's and 500 had!

Don't for get the door scoops to make an R/T and the rear taillight panel which the R/T's and 500 had!

You're right . I was going on the assumption that most of us were aware of the R/T door scoops and the tail panel (albeit , to a lesser extent) , so that's why I focused in on the changes in the boiler room . The crankcase breather was swapped to the passenger-side ( evapourative emissions / sealed 'return' fuel lines ) and the PCV was moved to the driver's side . Likewise , the oil fill cap was now stand-alone ; no longer a crankcase breather / oil fill combo .

Naturally , Air Grabber and Ramcharger equipped engines ( 340 , 383 HP , 440 HP , 440+6 , and 426 Hemi ) were sans the 'stovepipe' air cleaner . However , the '70 Charger (and its '66-'69 predecessors) didn't have either Fresh Air Intake , so that's of little consequence .

Who's to say someone didn't put a '56 body on a '57 frame? Heck I know of one gasser that was a '67 or 8 Mustang body built on a '33 Willys frame back in the day. Was sorta successful, too.B)

Will it physically fit under there? That's all I need. B)

Probably not too well. The 57 Ford is wider than the 56. Why go to the trouble?

You're right . I was going on the assumption that most of us were aware of the R/T door scoops and the tail panel (albeit , to a lesser extent) , so that's why I focused in on the changes in the boiler room . The crankcase breather was swapped to the passenger-side ( evapourative emissions / sealed 'return' fuel lines ) and the PCV was moved to the driver's side . Likewise , the oil fill cap was now stand-alone ; no longer a crankcase breather / oil fill combo .

Naturally , Air Grabber and Ramcharger equipped engines ( 340 , 383 HP , 440 HP , 440+6 , and 426 Hemi ) were sans the 'stovepipe' air cleaner . However , the '70 Charger (and its '66-'69 predecessors) didn't have either Fresh Air Intake , so that's of little consequence .

Just hope we don't wind up with a blob of plastic for a model ....................you got to love those 70' Chargers!

The F&F Charger was never an R/T, so if Revell's kit is true to the movie car, it won't have any R/T specific parts. I would expect a few compromises, though, and I swear I saw a pic of the model with the headlight doors in the closed position, so I expect to see a model which is a good starting point to build a '70 Charger R/T, but not a perfect example right out of the box.

The F&F Charger was never an R/T, so if Revell's kit is true to the movie car, it won't have any R/T specific parts. I would expect a few compromises, though, and I swear I saw a pic of the model with the headlight doors in the closed position, so I expect to see a model which is a good starting point to build a '70 Charger R/T, but not a perfect example right out of the box.

yes Casey you are right it not an R/T ,but as you were saying a very good starting point to make a 70' Charger with help from Revell 69'- 68' charger kits .and maybe some resin cast parts !

As "one trick pony's" are getting far and few between due to ROI, I expect we will see another version of this new tool.

After all this ain't a General Lee

;^)

Edited by Luc Janssens

As "one trick pony's" are getting far and few between due to ROI, I expect we will see another version of this new tool.

I agree. The '68 Charger R/T kit includes two hoods, so why not the '70, too? ^_^ 

Assuming this '70 Charger kit is the diecast version now in plastic, I hope it's not going to end up like the '77 Trans Am and '70 Challenger R/T-T/A kits, though, which were one and done...thankfully. :D