Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 3rd Quarter 2016

gasman

That sent me down to dig through my stack of old Rod & Custom magazines:

25712337304_2a15bfe45d_b.jpg

26044333920_27f8ae9b09_b.jpg

I remember that! Just looked at it a couple months ago.

Hard to believe that that hottie must be pushing 70 now--if not already on the other side of it. Yikes!

I give the faux box art an "B" for effort,  but what possible reason would there be to reissue the Del Rio Ranch Wagon in a 2n1 already when the original kit is still on the catalog? 

A SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING and a Miss!

Give em credit for incorporating the new skill level in though.

Kinda cool! But I'll be putting the AMT '56 body on it anyway.

56 Ford used a totally different (straighter) chassis with more in common with the 1949 Ford. 57 used the cow belly frame that lasted through 1964. That gasser version does a good job of pointing up how Revell screwed up the front fenders. The bumper splash pan should wrap around, and the front fenders should end (not go lower than) even with the bottom of the grille. Odd they didn't base that kit off of the sedan. (Which also still has the same faults.)

I for the most part, display my completed models on their tires, so being able to see up the side is not a issue for me :lol:

I'm with you on the above statement Jonathan. I built one Ramcharger over the years. I didn't mind the level of detail in that kit. It looked great built straight out of the box, only adding paint and glue. And still looks great now, years later. The only thing I don't like in the kit is the aftermarket sun roof (I believe it's aftermarket, and not factory). That type of sun roof was pretty popular at the time. I never liked the looks of them on any vehicle that had them installed. And they always leaked water on the real vehicles after only a year or two.

If I were to buy the Ramcharger again, I'd fill in the sun roof and leave out the roll bar. Filling their mounting holes too. It might be fun to build one with top off of it. I can't remember if it represents one of the years were the top came off the real Ramchargers or not?

I give the faux box art an "B" for effort,  but what possible reason would there be to reissue the Del Rio Ranch Wagon in a 2n1 already when the original kit is still on the catalog? 

A SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING and a Miss!

Give em credit for incorporating the new skill level in though.

Well, if they'd used the sedan for the gasser it would have made 3 sedans in the catalog (original + Fireball Roberts'), now there will be 2 sedans and 2 wagons. And it may be anecdotal, but we've sold way more of the wagon than either of the sedans.  This will do just fine as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm with you on the above statement Jonathan. I built one Ramcharger over the years. I didn't mind the level of detail in that kit. It looked great built straight out of the box, only adding paint and glue. And still looks great now, years later. The only thing I don't like in the kit is the aftermarket sun roof (I believe it's aftermarket, and not factory). That type of sun roof was pretty popular at the time. I never liked the looks of them on any vehicle that had them installed. And they always leaked water on the real vehicles after only a year or two.

If I were to buy the Ramcharger again, I'd fill in the sun roof and leave out the roll bar. Filling their mounting holes too. It might be fun to build one with top off of it. I can't remember if it represents one of the years were the top came off the real Ramchargers or not?

The kit is a '79, and '80 was the last year of the removable rear roof.   In '81 they restyled it along w/ the '81 pickups, and the '81-end RCs had a fixed, integrated rear roof...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ramcharger

Edited by Rob Hall

It sure looks like the engine in the gasser kit is the 312 y-block from the '57 Ford Custom with a few more speed parts. I would much prefer the 427 in the Rod and Custom entry.

The engine from the AMT 60 Starliner custom version or the AMT 67 Fairlane 500 would replicate the medium riser magazine car engine.

These are still plentiful and cheap. Makes a really beautiful engine, too.

revell-chrome-ford-427-engine-parts-pack

that would be alot of work...not afraid of tge scratch building but to many projects going on now,and ebay sellers want to much for that..so I guess I wait...LOL,funny how that is.

I bought my Hangman from an old LHS and they where blowing them out since nobody wanted them! Wish I would have bought a couple more!! 

Well, if they'd used the sedan for the gasser it would have made 3 sedans in the catalog (original + Fireball Roberts'), now there will be 2 sedans and 2 wagons. And it may be anecdotal, but we've sold way more of the wagon than either of the sedans.  This will do just fine as far as I'm concerned. 

Well if the '57 Gasser is the D & M Corvette Specialities one as someone said, then it's the black sedan. And since the NASCAR kit can't be built factory stock, more than likely a Gasser specific one will not be able to be stock either with the necessary suspension and engine modifications. 

I'm not saying a wagon wouldn't sell, but the initial report/rumor isn't for a wagon.  You and I both know that's not valid Revell box art, test shots would not be far enough along to have a built example - especially with decals that clearly aren't P/S like usual, nor would they have box art drawn up for a kit they haven't even officially announced yet.

Well if the '57 Gasser is the D & M Corvette Specialities one as someone said, then it's the black sedan. And since the NASCAR kit can't be built factory stock, more than likely a Gasser specific one will not be able to be stock either with the necessary suspension and engine modifications. 

I'm not saying a wagon wouldn't sell, but the initial report/rumor isn't for a wagon.  You and I both know that's not valid Revell box art, test shots would not be far enough along to have a built example - especially with decals that clearly aren't P/S like usual, nor would they have box art drawn up for a kit they haven't even officially announced yet.

I agree, plus, Skill Level 7? I don't think so. Doesn't even look like Revell/Monogram Skill Level logo artwork, which is round.

They should just do a Junior Stock style wagon

57ford.jpg

And Maybe dust off the 56 molds as well

57c691f97214f6e2011f51b8f9cbb8d8.jpg

Use the fenderwell headers and standard suspension and you're pretty much there. That's how I would have handled the 2 n 1 aspect of this kit, the straight-axle "gasser"  as option A, and a junior stocker with Cragars or chrome reverse all the way around as option B and just eschewed the showroom stock version entirely.

Hahahaha...  How much you want to bet that isn't legit art work? ;-)  Go back and look at the "Bent Eight" decals on the first 57 sedan box.  They're not photoshopped on.  There are still some functioning ALPS printers out there...  

I agree, plus, Skill Level 7? I don't think so. Doesn't even look like Revell/Monogram Skill Level logo artwork, which is round.

It's Skill 5, the 7+ is the new hours rating they're using.  They've used that black skill level box on a few kits in the past month or two, it's legit. New, but legit.

56 Ford used a totally different (straighter) chassis with more in common with the 1949 Ford. 57 used the cow belly frame that lasted through 1964. That gasser version does a good job of pointing up how Revell screwed up the front fenders. The bumper splash pan should wrap around, and the front fenders should end (not go lower than) even with the bottom of the grille. Odd they didn't base that kit off of the sedan. (Which also still has the same faults.)

Who's to say someone didn't put a '56 body on a '57 frame? Heck I know of one gasser that was a '67 or 8 Mustang body built on a '33 Willys frame back in the day. Was sorta successful, too.B)

Will it physically fit under there? That's all I need. B)

Of course, by the time the fiberglass Mustang body was put on Montgomery's highly-modified Willys frame, that particular frame had about as much in common with a Willys as I do. Kinda lighter than the '57 frame, too. Just sayin'.

But sure, somebody could have put a '56 body shell on a '57 frame. Maybe had a clean '56 shell, and thought it would be easier to make up static brackets to swap bodies than to make things that had to actually function to get the new-for-'57 Ford 9" rear end under a '56 chassis. 

The later gas-class rules simply said the cars had to have an "automotive" frame...but didn't specify it had to be the same as the body. :D

The later gas-class rules simply said the cars had to have an "automotive" frame...but didn't specify it had to be the same as the body. :D

That's what I'm thinkin'.

Also, that almost nobody who sees the finished model (except of course for here) is gonna know the difference....B)