Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Belvedere

berr13

Well I tried to contact Moebius on their web sites "customer service". I think there is a problem with my server and it would not let me send. That's when I called direct. The unidentified man I spoke to knew of the problem and said I would just have to scribe the panel lines and said that I should just let the frame reshape the body. I mentioned the Ventura that I was finishing and its badly warped frame. The warped frame didn't get straight by mounting it to the interior floor and it rocks a little after mounting the suspension and tires. So so much for that idea. I feel that when dealing with Moebius in the future it will be a buyer beware type deal. I may be criticized for what I'm about to put forward, but it is what I feel. I have built and enjoyed the Hudsons and could not have been happier with how they turned out. I have done the Chryslers and it was more of the same. When I saw the Ventura came out I was a very "happy camper" since this was something I personally have wanted for years. I over looked the faint body side moldings and even tried to work with the warped frame. Then the Satellite came out. I did a cursory inspection and thought I could deal with the panel lines but didn't even check to see if the body would sit flay since this has never happened with any of there other products. Then the Belveder I shows up and this just happens to be the type of vehicle that hits my personal "hot button". After looking inside I couldn't help but notice that the panel lines were just not acceptable. After seeing other here mention the warp body I checked, and sure enough it was warped that made me go back and check the Satellite and it is also warped. The stance I got from Moebius was that I just had to deal with it. I always do the panel lines on a build anyway but the Belvedere has to be turned just right under a light with a magnifying glass to find the panel lines. Let me say that it is my opinion that Moebius should be praised for their engineering of frame and interior design, and most certainly for offering some truly great subjects to build. Up to this point I have gladly paid the premium selling price and feel that I have gotten my monies worth. But based upon the two latest purchases and their lack of interest in making it right I will wait and see what others here find in the box before I purchase another one of their products.   As I said buyer beware.      

• 1 month later...

thanks Gary..I will beware.sofar mine are great.I alway scribe deeper anyways.maybe recall Moebius and talk with someone else.maybe he doesn't know. ...hope you can get a solution to this or the parts needed or a new kit to start from.I don't have a belvedere so can't say.I do have a satellite though.its getting built now.I have to fix the rear springs and rearaxle..couldn't live with the top missing,but thats me..sides I'm adding traction bars to it and a few other performance parts in the back......Chris 

thanks Gary..I will beware.sofar mine are great.I alway scribe deeper anyways.maybe recall Moebius and talk with someone else.maybe he doesn't know. ...hope you can get a solution to this or the parts needed or a new kit to start from.I don't have a belvedere so can't say.I do have a satellite though.its getting built now.I have to fix the rear springs and rearaxle..couldn't live with the top missing,but thats me..sides I'm adding traction bars to it and a few other performance parts in the back......Chris 

Chris, I don't know if it's just one person or not but that seems to be the response. After all I even offered to pay the shipping of a new body up here to Canada and I still got the same response. Build it and if it's still warped then we'll consider your offer to pay for shipping. I've eagerly purchased most Moebius kits and multiples of some but I will be reconsidering from now on.

• 6 months later...

I'll admit I was a bit gunshy about getting the Belvedere kit after hearing about lots of people.having warp issues.

Shortly before Christmas my LHS had a 10% off sale, and I couldn't resist and picked one up.  Happy to see that my body is arrow straight.  I'll admit the panel lines are very light, but I knew that going in, will just need to rescribe them.

Edited by Robberbaron

Kit looks great after spending sometime looking at it . The only thing I have really noticed thus far is the panel lines are not scribed all that well. They appear that they will be lost under a heavy coat of primer, paint and clear. Will need to be scribed deeper prior to paint.

So. be gentle with the primer and finish coats?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this kit I didn't check to see if the body was warped. I'll have to do that later but so far I am a little disappointed with the body panel lines being so shallow. Granted they could be scribed deeper but for the price of the kit no one should have to. I have the Chrysler 300 and Hudson kits they are very nice so comparing those to the Belvedere kit I feel let down by the body from this kit. I just hope its not warped.

Edited by carcrazy19

Regarding the shallow door and trunk lines. After tooling is finished and test shots approved - the practice is to polish the tool - since engraved lines in a body are actually raised in the tool - too much polishing can result in shallow engraved lines in the finished item. This is the case with the Belvedere body.The production bodies have much shallower door and trunk lines than the final test shot..

At this point in time there is nothing we can do to resolve that issue.

The factory has been made aware of the problem, they have gone back and made revisions to the tool and I have samples of the corrected body.

Next time we run that body the engraved lines will be like those on the Satellite.

• 10 months later...

I have 3 of them. 2 of the original kit, and a Butch Leal version. The first one of the original had a twist in it, but I was able to straighten it out. This one is going to be built as a "Black Arrow", as I bought the decals a while back, and after seeing Jim's build, I want to do one. The second one and the "California Flash" version were perfect.  I mocked up my Satellite, and it went together well.

9 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I have 3 of them. 2 of the original kit, and a Butch Leal version. The first one of the original had a twist in it, but I was able to straighten it out. This one is going to be built as a "Black Arrow", as I bought the decals a while back, and after seeing Jim's build, I want to do one. The second one and the "California Flash" version were perfect.  I mocked up my Satellite, and it went together well.

Ron, can you comment on the differences between the California Flash version and the first "street" version?

I know the engraving for the panel lines was supposed to be improved, not sure what else may have changed.  My LHS proprietor mentioned that one of his other customers recently bought one of the California Flash kits.  He came in the next day and bought three more, saying how many improvements they'd made compared to the first version.

Didn't get any more information than that, but my curiosity was piqued.

8 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Ron, can you comment on the differences between the California Flash version and the first "street" version?

I know the engraving for the panel lines was supposed to be improved, not sure what else may have changed.  My LHS proprietor mentioned that one of his other customers recently bought one of the California Flash kits.  He came in the next day and bought three more, saying how many improvements they'd made compared to the first version.

Robert,

I have only took a cursory look at the California Flash Car. If I can get to the cars in the next few days, I'll be happy to answer your questions. If I really like the California Flash kit, I may get another one to use as the basis for the Black Arrow, and turn the other one into a L.A. Police Cruiser. They showed one on an Adam 12 Re-Run Today. I can do the work to turn it into a 4-door.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, Robberbaron said:

I pulled out the "California Flash" version of the Moebius  '65 Plymouth Belvedere I, and it looks to me as if it is a very good representation of a 1965 A990 Car, in that it has a proper race hemi, and the appropriate interior upgrade , with the rear seat blanked out, and the shipping exhaust system. The original Moebius 1965 Belvedere I sedan is at best, an upgraded street machine, that cannot be built as a replica stock automobile without a trip to the parts box and some scratch building.

I looked at a photo of an actual A990 car that was recently sold at auction, and I noticed that the kit lacks a NHRA legal roll cage, and a set of Cragar S/S wheels, even though I saw a few pictures of one running the American Mags, which are in the kit.

The body is very nice, and highly polished. I will probably have to get another one of these to do an accurate "Black Arrow". I'll have to source an automatic transmission, column shifter, and a roll bar.

An A990 Dodge Coronet would be a very nice addition, as well an altered wheelbase version.