Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius California Flash 1965 Belvedere

jjsipes

Oh Boy it looks like Moebius has my money again... That kit is absolutely a Must Have. Not sure though if I will manage with one of them or do I have to buy more to build a couple of different cars with different decals.

Oh Boy it looks like Moebius has my money again... That kit is absolutely a Must Have. Not sure though if I will manage with one case of them or do I have to buy more than one case to build a couple of different cars with different decals.

Fixed it for you.

I've already told my LHS, I want the 1st case in the door . I'm going to skip the currently avail Belvedere and just wait for this one

Edited by gtx6970

• 3 months later...

I just spoke with Dave at Model King the Butch Leal car is on hold for now. 

The Melrose Missile has not sold well so until I believe he's sell more of them he won't be ordering the leal car..

Thats a shame, As I would MUCH rather have the sedan with all the superstock parts in it as opposed the Missile car

IMO - I tend to think it would sell better. But I understand its business

I would like to do the Black Arrow car as raced when Jenkins first got it according to my info. The "California Flash", and "Drag on Lady" would be nice too. I agree with Bill, where a '65 Super Stock Post Sedan would be a better seller. The kit as is pretty close. I have not bought one yet, as I still have several of the Lindberg '64's that I have not built, and a Mobieus Satellite ready for primer and paint.

I suppose one could kitbash the Melrose Missile kit with the Belvedere kit and use aftermarket decals to get a similar result..

true.........but my issue wih this.method is by the time i buy 2 kits im in over $55. $60 not including decals.it

I just spoke with Dave at Model King the Butch Leal car is on hold for now. 

The Melrose Missile has not sold well so until I believe he's sell more of them he won't be ordering the leal car..

....unfortunately, that's no surprise ......with their price point, the fact that their customer service is poor, and that as exciting as the subject matter is of their kits, when other builders have popped open many of their cars to find bent bodies and the like, who really wants anything to do with that so called company......that bunch are merely a flash in the pan, and over the coming few years won't stand the test of time......my 2 cents.....the Ace....-_-

That so called company has some of the nicest people and they do take care of their customers,they do everything themselves and only have a small group of people so it may take time to get a problem resolved.. the flash in the pan company as you say has been around many years and they have contracts from some of the biggest movie companies in Hollywood to all the major U.S. auto makers, Having owned and started SLIXX decals with Gene and Bill I can tell you how hard that is to negotiate contracts and licensing, that drives up the coast of these kits besides other factors and are they are doing things others are not. They are getting into the car and truck model business in a big way and it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars for tool and dies. I have worked with them and Dave Burkett over the years I put the Melrose Missile and Butch Leal deals together for Dave.I just get tired of people bashing the model companies, we are lucky to have models produced in this day and age, kids are not that interested, it's us older people that go into hobby shops and the model industry is a nitch market at best period.. and no model company is ever going to make a perfect kit period !!.and monogram and revell's prices are about the same within a few bucks as moebius...and we may not have any or very few model companies in the future if the costs keep escalating, i'm not paying 40 or 50 bucks for a monogram revell or moebius kit if they go that high...just my 2 cents also.

Edited by kitswapper

There's been some bashing, but also some valid criticism.  Warpage is clearly a problem with Moebius kits - I opened a '65 Satellite yesterday to find the body twisted.  I think I can fix it, but I shouldn't have to.  I would think a large percentage of customers will be turned off buying other Moebius kits if they run into problems like this.

Edit - also just noticed the decals are missing from this kit.  Strike two, Moebius.

Edited by dodgefever

I guess I have been lucky as I have had no problem with any Meobius kits due to them. When I did mess up a 54 Hudson body, I contacted them and asked about a replacement at my expense and they were very nice about it and told me how much just for a body, I paid and it within the week. Great customer service in my experience. Great kits as well and much wanted subjects too. I for one will continue purchasing there car and truck kits.

I haven't had the problems with Moebius kits that some have had, and in the couple of instances where there was a problem they handled it quickly and to my satisfaction.  I'd politely disagree with anyone who doesn't think they'll stick with automotive subjects.  This isn't Trumpeter, who unfortunately tried to reinvent a lot of things about car kits.  Moebius has so far delivered pretty conventional kits, with a bit more detail and some subject matter none of us thought we'd ever see.  Still, I wouldn't mind if they'd go to a slightly larger box so everything fits in there without having to be crammed in.  Once I open a Moebius kit, the sprues get a thorough examination with some of the extraneous stuff getting cut and tossed so the parts fit in the box without being crushed.

That said, I didn't pick up the Melrose Missile hardtop because the California Flash sedan was also announced before either version actually appeared. 

Personally, I have been very happy with the kits I bought from Mobieus. I have only completed one, the '69 Ford F100MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20026_but the others I bought, I opened the box, checked them out, and put them back in the box, with no drama, with the exception of the '55 Chrysler C300, DSCF2717.jpg

The Hudson, and the ;65 Satellite,

Ebay%20Oct%2031%202015%20016_zpsosvpg9su

Which I pre-built to check the fit, and there are no unpleasant surprises so far. All I have to di with these, is paint, polish and foil them to my satisfaction. I have most of their kits, which I am interested in, and plan to get the others when I can.

I don't see the Melrose car selling very well. It is a Hemi and Auto but has the street interior, but has the backseat piece you need to build a drag car . They should just make a correct sedan. Hemi, Auto ,backseat  brace . Leave the Satelite alone or make a altered wheelbase. I think the sedan will sell real well.