Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Baker's 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona (Update 07/19)

mikemopar70

Hi fellas!
Here is my new Nascar project, and not the least.
It's the 1969 Dodger Charger driven by Buddy Baker
I based my build on the Revell Pro-Modeler 1969 Daytona.
The chassis has been modified to fill the Nascar specs for the suspension and roll cage.
The front subframe crossmember, ha been scratbuit 100% as well as the interior filler panel and the fuel cell.

I'm now widening the body on the rear quarter panels, one step at the time, lots of scratchbuild, i'm enjying it a lot...

It will be the Cotton Owen's red car with a flat black top, the decals come from the excellent Power Slide..

Comments welcome!!

See ya!

20160405_202441.jpg

20160405_202512.jpg

20160405_202403.jpg

20160405_202904.jpg

_6Addy_2refa-vi.jpg

Edited by mikemopar70
Upate notification

Very cool! I was thinking of building the same car!! Those decals are really nice! 

used-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-9423-511

Yes, these decals are awesome, very nice quality and Mike is really devoted to the hobby!!

By the way, my build is based partially on this restored version pictures, there's a lot of them on the web site, that's really helpful!!

Can't wait to lay the red paint over it!!

My wheels are from Plastic Performance Products, another very high quality product!!  

Here's a little update on my build!!

i'm adjusting the Wheel openings, the rear portion has been done, i will now work on the front ones, because wheel sit too forward ...

I made a slight flaring on the rear Wheel openings, just like the real car, now these large tires fits just perfect.

I also smoothed all this putty work, and now being ready for final touch before primer,  it's a bit challenging, but i like it a lot!

The Hemi engine will come later.

I'm now planning to build the cold air inlet from the nose cone to the radiator, i've made my template from nose cone interior with a contour gauge.

Now it's time to scrape plastic... Again!!    

By the way, the good looking roll cage came from a Polar Lights Torino, it fits the Charger perfectly with very minimal modifications..

See ya! 

20160406_203434.jpg

20160407_210219.jpg

20160407_210332.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few progress on my Charger.

Having been through a few problems on the way, and on trip to NNL East last week, have slowed the progress a bit, but it's still going on nicely!!

I have done the front fendrers flaring to fit the big tires, with LOTS of work and putty.

I made a contour with evergreen styrene strips followed by Tamiya putty, and lots of 320 sanding of course.

My front suspension is almost completed, only remains to do the schoks with their support on the tube chassis.

I've had problems with the roll cage, since it was interferring with the body Inside at the top of the windshield, i'm correcting it now!

I've also done the recess on the rear quarter panel for the gas cap and the front spoiler that has been modified from the kit supplied stock.. 

More to come!

20160424_093358.jpg

20160424_093111.jpg

20160424_093138.jpg

20160424_093443.jpg

That's a great looking build. How did you know how to build the front subframe or what pattern did you use?

I used the very few pictures of the real car and of course the more detailed ones from the restored car (below), but for the measurements, i figured it bolting at the same place on the frame rails as the stock subframe but without excceding too much under the car for aerodynamics!!   

And i made it with Evergreen square strips of various sizes.

The lack of the original car references makes this project a bit difficult, and leaves me a challenging scratchbuilding process at the same time!! But it's really a fun build fo me...

Thank's for the comment!

used-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-9423-5111490-64-640.jpg

used-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-9423-5111490-55-600040.jpg

Hi everybody!

Here's my progress so far, the body has been primed and sanded twice with 2K Urethane primer.

There's only one remaining pinhole on the left querter panel, i took care of it this evening, with tamiya putty.

I've also done the underhood panels and engine supports,so the Hemi is now standing on it's own on the engine bay.

It's a very long process, but it's still going pretty good!

20160503_212520.jpg

20160503_195835.jpg

20160503_212811.jpg

20160503_212705.jpg

Edited by mikemopar70
Syntax error

I am wondering where I can source a rat roaster intake for a single carb that they ran back then?

Unfortunately i wasn't able to find a correct scale part for the Nascar Bath tub intake, i will have to scratbuild it too....