Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Baker's 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona (Update 07/19)

mikemopar70

A little update on the chassis today!

i began the engine build to see how it sits in the engine bay, i glued the valve covers since they are painted orange like the rest of the engine and i drilled holes where the spark plug boots are attached.

I completed the repair of the roll cage, yes i broke it last week, because it was interferring with the top Inside and i tried to adjust it!!!

Here it is!!

It still needs finishing, more particularly the roll bars, but it's relly nearing paint!!! Can't wait ti see colors on this model!!   

20160511_224641.jpg

20160511_224651.jpg

20160511_224657.jpg

Edited by mikemopar70
Adding text.

Here's a little update on my build.

I finally decided to try my hand on the bathtub intake.

I based my piece on the stock Charger intake that i modified with evergreen strips and sheets.

It's still need finition, but it's getting along nicely.

I also made the front shocks from K&S aluminium tubing (not shown) 

20160517_213806.jpg

20160517_213823.jpg

20160517_213933.jpg

The Daytona is really coming along nicely. I like your bathtub intake, don't forget the bolt heads around the top. The top had to be removed to bolt the manifold to the heads, which is why the bolts around the perimeter.

Overall, I am very impressed with the build/techniques.

The Daytona is really coming along nicely. I like your bathtub intake, don't forget the bolt heads around the top. The top had to be removed to bolt the manifold to the heads, which is why the bolts around the perimeter.

Overall, I am very impressed with the build/techniques.

Thanks for the comment, it still needs finishing with bolts and a few strips from one side to the other of the intake, ans i will finish with a textured paint with aluminium topcoat just to give contrast on the engine bay. 

Edited by mikemopar70
Syntax error

A little update on my intake, it's been painted aluminium and the bolts are on...

I was more than happy to put some  colors on it!! 

I've started the radiator too with Model Car Garage stuff!!

I'm nearing color on the body, can't wait for it.

See ya!

20160529_222311.jpg

20160529_195647.jpg

20160529_200347.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Finally a little update on my project.

Something was bugging me with the front fenders, they looked wrong and not looking like the NASCAR thing, so i modified them a bit by cuting the down portion and straightened a bit outwards before putting filler and primer again...

And finally there's some paint on the body, after applying the last primer coat , i shot the first coat of red lacquer (Tamiya bright red).

I decanted the lacquer and shot it with my airbrush, note that i didn't do the top since it's gonna be flat black...

I will sand the paint next week-end, after a week of drying time, before shooting the second red coat o the body. 

20160605_084035.jpg

20160605_084745.jpg

20160609_230030.jpg

20160612_222026.jpg

20160612_222827.jpg

Edited by mikemopar70

Thank's for the kind comments.

In fact, this build is based in the Revell/Monogram Pro-Modeler Daytona and it's in 1/25 scale.

It's easier to build a 1/16 of a Dodge Nascar, there's a few subjects available from MPC, but i prefer 1/25 scale by far!!  . 

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks!

It's been a while since my last post, i had less time to be at the workbench lately, but i managed to get some work on my Daytona...

I woked more on the body colors, can't wait to get this cleared with urethane.

I shot a coat of black (gloss base coat) on the top, because there will be a large #6 sticker, i will shoot a flat clearcoat when done.

And i done the rear Daytona Stripe, with a Auto Air fluorescent orange like the real car had back in the day, lots of masking have been involved, but i'm pretty much satisfied with the result.

Next step, i will do Bare Metal Foil and top decal before clearing.

See ya, and have great summer vacations everyone.   

20160719_202945.jpg

20160719_203107.jpg

20160719_203008.jpg

Edited by mikemopar70

Thank's for replies.

I usually wouldn't have done such modifications to a model because it's time consuming and i have lots of projects in mind....

But this one has been in my mind  since i bought the kit, i knew that i'll build it as a Nascar racer, and i wanted to try my hand on scratchbuilding also at this point.

In all, i'm pretty satisfied with the results,  it may not be 100% correct, but it is exactly what i wanted so far.

But my next models will be a lot simpler, i bought a few kits lately and i want to build more than only one of them in a year..LOL...